Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got in the mail a letter from Bell reminding me about their on demand movies and how they are now in 1080p and yada yada yada stuff I already know (thanks to the fine folks on here). Now today I get another letter again from Bell reminding me how Bell has NHL center Ice and it's on a free preview and I can order for the rest of the season and yada yada yada. I also should be getting my Bell bill sometime in the next week or so.

So that's 3 letters this month $0.57x3= $1.71. If they waste $1.71 on each customer this month, but want to charge me an extra $7/month next year. Companies have complained how sending out bills costs them money and want us to go paperless, but this is what Bell does. Wonder which executive didn't think that adding the two ad letters to my monthly bill would save $1.14 in postage, not to mention the man power.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Addressed Admail has a much lower rate (38 cents each according to CP's website) than first class, because admail doesn't include return service if it's undeliverable. But even still, the savings are significant. For example, my employer saves over $100,000 in postage every year by switching from mailed pay stubs to electronic.

Best thing to do is vote with your wallet.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Companies have complained how sending out bills costs them money and want us to go paperless...
To them, mailing bills is overhead. Advertising is justified by returns in new business acquired. OTOH, Bell's terrible billing department probably drives away a lot of customers. I agree that it's kind of wasteful to mail the stuff separately. Bell is such an inefficient company, it boggles my mind how they stay in business. It must be pure market inertia that does it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You also have to realize that the mailing of the advertisements and bills would be paid by different departments. It's also possible that they are mailed/distributed from different locations, so the cost of them changing everything to put them in the same location would end up costing more than they'd be saving from mailing them out together. There are too many possible factors involved to really say for sure... and while Bell obviously does some things that don't make sense sometimes, I'm sure that they've probably looked into their options.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
They've already saved plenty of money by electronic billing...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not even a Bell customer and they keep sending us many Addressed Admail envelopes. They go straight to the bin. Only people who benefit are the recycling companies from thousands of pounds of recycling paper.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm amazed by the advertising that companies send out. At one point, we were getting Rogers fliers for what seemed like every couple of days or so. And these were glossy, glitzy things. At least Bell seems to just send out ordinary mail.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I get a Rogers flyer ever 2 weeks, telling me about High Speed internet, the problem is, there is NO Cable where I live.....lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
I get a Rogers flyer ever 2 weeks, telling me about High Speed internet, the problem is, there is NO Cable where I live.....lol
Ask them to add you in their "Do not mail" list. And tell them to call you when internet will be available! lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts