Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for discussion of Apple's iPhone 4 on either the Bell Mobility or Virgin Mobile network.

Availability

The iPhone 4 will be available from Bell stores and authorized retailers starting July 30th. It is also available on the bell.ca website, but shipping could be delayed by up to 14 days.

Pricing (16GB/32GB)

$159/$269 for new and/or out-of contract users signing up for a 3-year term

Promotions (as of July 30, 2010)

- $30 for 6GB of data (if you sign up before Sept 30, 2010)
- iPad data sharing for an additional $10/month

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got mine on Virgin Mobile. No lineup. Quick activation. Got the 6GB data plan. No issues so far (even tried the death grip .. still had 5 bars)

·
Registered
9 Posts
iphone 4 buy outright vs contract

Anyone have experience buying smart phones outright? Are you still restricted to their phone specific plans if you buy the phone from apple and then activate it with Bell (ie do I need the 'iphone plan')??

I currently have a BB Storm and due to problems synching with my MACs am ready to switch to iphone. I am eligible for the reduced price and new contract but that would change my 'current' plan, which gives me unlimited internet/ email, lots of phone minutes and family sharing. . . . does the 'unlimited' apply to a phone that you just 'bring in' to the deal?

I am weighing pros/ cons of the restrictions but am very unfamiliar with the rules. . . i've read travelling with a phone you have bought just needs a new card popped in and now you can call in Europe/ US etc...

i suspect it may cost MORE for the phone but then I can deal with Apple and NOT BELL. . . . worth the $$??

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
There's no such thing as "activating an iPhone with Bell". With any unlocked phone (not just smartphones) using a sim card, you just pop your Bell SIM card in the phone and use it with whatever plan you have. They won't even know what phone you have. With the iPhone 4, in particular, since it's using a micro SIM, you need to cut your existing Bell sim to insert it in the phone, but it's not that hard, and there's a lot of info on how to do it. Or, if you don't want to bother, just get a Bell microSIM and activate it. No need to even specify what phone it is for.
The dark past of CDMA phones, only sold and activated by Bell, does not apply to the iPhone and the phones running on their new 3G network.
P.S. If your Storm is a CDMA, it might be a different story, though. I don't know how they treat former CDMA subscribers on their new 3G network.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
There's no need to specify because there's only one phone that uses microSIMs. As soon as you ask for one on a voice plan they know you have an iPhone 4. The Bell Storm was a CDMA device, meaning he won't have a SIM card and will need to ask Bell for one. However if you bring your own phone you do not need to add a data plan.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The real issue here is Bell's policy on switching customers from CDMA to HSPA and what/which features can be transferred. I'm not familiar with Bell's rules but there must be a thread here on that subject. Telus, I know, continues to be very unfriendly; i.e. only voice plans can be transferred and some of them only partially; all unlimited data features are ineligible.

If you have the $$ to buy the iPhone outright from Apple, you can get an unlocked version that is good-to-go almost anywhere in the world. However, many carriers restrict access to their best plans (i..e. cost for what you get) to people who agree to multi-year contracts. Then it becomes a matter of deciding whether to take the subsidised phone since you are committed to the carrier anyway.

If the extra initial cost is not an issue, buying at the Apple store, getting the factory-unlocked phone and superior Apple service is the way to go. As the OP is already a Mac user s/he probably already knows that. :cool:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I was about to say that he doesn't need to ask for a microsim, just cut his existing one, but then I realized that only HSPA phones have SIM cards on Bell (big or small, the sim card size doesn't really matter :)). And most probably the unlimited plans are for the CDMA network only, so it's impossible to switch without Bell allowing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts