Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I prior check with Bell if the receiver I'd like to buy off of eBay, Kijiji etc is clear, deactivated, debt-free? Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I went there and browsed through the last 4-5 pages...found no relevant info to my case, other than "to call Bell". Also, those messages are a bit old, maybe things are a bit different now?
All I want to know is : before I buy, I want to check with Bell whatever receiver I'm buying is OK to be activated. Is this available via some self-serve option or I need to call some number and talk to a representative, if so, what's the number to call please.
I currently have a Bell account but no BellTV service; I want to add it but I do want to use a receiver type they no longer offer (9242).
Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
All you have to do is call 1-888-SKYDISH with the receiver number from the back of the receiver (number will start with R00...). There will be menus to select from when you call the number...just choose the one for activating receivers.
You will probably also the need the smart-card number....if the receiver you are activating is a 9242, it has an internal card....you can get these numbers from the seller.
Just ask the Bell TV CSR if the receiver is clear to be activated on your account. The current owner will have to call Bell and have it removed from their account and tell them they are selling it.
This should help you on your way!

Edit: There is no way through self-serve to find out if a receiver has a balance owing, or is clear to be activated before you buy. A phone call (or using chat online) to Bell is necessary).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You need the receiver and smart card numbers (S00... and R00...). Make sure it is owned outright by the seller, that there is no outstanding balance and that it works. (Also, no firmware hacks, etc.) The seller also needs to call Bell and notify them that the receiver is being sold.

maybe things are a bit different now?
There have been no changes to the basic procedure for years so the other thread should be valid.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just transferred a 9200. That's how it works. I was at the sellers house and called Bell to move it to my account. Gave them the r00 number and smart card number. Bell rep talked to seller then to me and it was done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just transferred a 9200. That's how it works. I was at the sellers house and called Bell to move it to my account. Gave them the r00 number and smart card number. Bell rep talked to seller then to me and it was done.
You could do both transfer and activate (or just the transfer), with the receiver being at seller's house?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
They did it all and when I got home I plugged it in. The rep wanted me to call back when I got home and I just asked him 'can't you do it now?'. He said no problem but you'll have to wait 15 minutes to 2 hours for the programming to update. It took about 10-30 minutes to get all my channels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They did it all and when I got home I plugged it in. The rep wanted me to call back when I got home and I just asked him 'can't you do it now?'.
I initially wanted to do the same, but I ended up going to seller just to pay for the unit and to transfer it into my acct, then once I brought it home and hooked it up, I called them for the activation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts