Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@elyk: Probably never. There are still a large number of people who watch SD only. It's the old "lead a horse to water" situation. In this case even when you show them how great HD looks they just shrug. They may have a HD set (what else could they buy?) but they simply don't care about the improved picture quality and continue to watch the SD channel. As one of these people said to me "it's still the same programme. Nothing in the content changes".

·
Registered
201 Posts
As you say, an SD monitor just isn't available to purchase today, and hasn't been for many years.

How long do we have to accommodate this requirement?

It eats up bandwidth and I suspect it's time to move on. It's crazy.

The ten people that still own an SD monitor, we can buy them a new one and they can watch the Rotisserie Channel all day in HD.

elyk

·
Registered
60 Posts
@JNow Bell TV has an Aquarium Channel and a year round Fireplace Channel but I've never seen this Rotisserie channel? What's its number or are you spreading an urban myth?
No myth. It was in 2011. A quick search on YouTube will render several videos. Though I must concede it was probably only in Ontario and may have only been through Rogers. I thought Bell had it too but maybe not. It’s no longer being shown, in any case. It was in conjunction with Swiss Chalet. I’m sure they had lots of orders coming in when it ran, with everyone salivating over the video.

It even made the news. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goB5QAQ8IKQ

Yum! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y95h35GHUDE

·
Registered
60 Posts
@elyk : Probably never. There are still a large number of people who watch SD only. It's the old "lead a horse to water" situation. In this case even when you show them how great HD looks they just shrug. They may have a HD set (what else could they buy?) but they simply don't care about the improved picture quality and continue to watch the SD channel. As one of these people said to me "it's still the same programme. Nothing in the content changes".
It’s generally elderly people who’s eyesight is going. And who are set in their ways. {points at my mother} No matter how many times we set the channels to HD for her, she’s back to her trusty SD channels the next time we’re there (even though she has the HDTV box!). It’s habit. If all that was broadcast was HD, they’d have no choice but to get used to punching in that extra number.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As you say, an SD monitor just isn't available to purchase today, and hasn't been for many years.

How long do we have to accommodate this requirement?

It eats up bandwidth and I suspect it's time to move on. It's crazy.

The ten people that still own an SD monitor, we can buy them a new one and they can watch the Rotisserie Channel all day in HD.

elyk
lol So true. 11 counting my mother. Actually that’s not true since she has an HD box but still watches the SD channels. (“Oh, it’s easier.”) And it’s not as if it’s because she remembers the old numbers, she still has to look them up! It’s no help that The Gazette lists the channels in their TV Times with SD channels. I agree, @elyk, it’s time to retire SD and push everyone into the modern age. :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Why can't these boxes be set to output in sd if they insist? The whole network wouldn't need both if the box would down res the picture.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I don't think there is a requirement to broadcast in SD. Most HD boxes support SD TVs so it's not necessary to broadcast in SD at all. Channel mapping can support receiving HD on discontinued SD channels numbers so it's not as if it's going to cause a lot of issues with viewers either. The main issue is cost. A lot of consumers don't want to purchase HD boxes as long as their SD boxes keep working. Bell doesn't want to pay the cost of upgrading their receivers either. That might happen eventually once there are so few SD receivers in use that it becomes cost effective to shut down the SD channels and Bell needs the satellite space.

@JNow, You are dangerously close to posting some very offensive discriminatory remarks that may offend people with disabilities or due to their age. They also violate the human rights of some members of this forum. Not everyone you have described fits the stereotypes you are promoting.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
In my opinion shutting down SD channels on Bell Sat. would be a public relations nightmare no matter how much sense it makes. People stick with their old habits and don't think kindly if someone tries to change them. As for its just old people I know 3 thirty somethings who have no interest in HD and would tell you that its just a gimmick to make more money.

As to opening up bandwidth, Bell would have to shutdown 6 SD channels to add 1 HD channel. That's a lot of rearranging of services to be taken lightly.

The idea of simple channel mapping is likely the best way to go but then there's the question of what to do with channels for which there is no HD equivalent. Keep them or drop them? I don't think Bell wants to go there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The arguments regarding SD channels are a bit pointless. Statistics over the years indicated that people watch "regularly" less than ten channels. Old habits are hard to break regardless of all the viewing factors. As a matter of fact most SD channels look great on my sets even though the screen is not full. HD is wasted on all the game shows now hitting the summer market! On another topic just saw the Goggle Maps Vehicle going through our neighbourhood.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I too would like to see all the SD channels shut down, however I understand the argument that some have to keep the channels.

There are a ton of 3100's still in use today...and there is no way Bell is giving away new HD receivers to the masses.

Having said that...Shaw Direct is in the middle of doing just that...eliminating all the SD channels and adding their HD counterparts if they are available...if they are not available they up convert the SD channels.

I think they'll be completely finished at the end of the year.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts