Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if Bell is planning to pull the plug on SD channels similar to Shaw Direct? Seems weird they would choose to add these small market locals instead of adding CTV Saskatoon for example or even the CTV Two stations from London, Windsor, Ottawa, Alberta and Atlantic which would probably have larger viewership. I could see Bell pulling the plug on smaller market locals in SD first then move to the bigger markets at a later date.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bell TV SD vs HD Channels Discussions

When are Cosmo and BBC Canada going to be broadcast in HD already? Considering they're only providing HD receivers now, why are they still broadcasting channels in SD? Sundance is another one. When I was with Rogers, they had Sundance in HD and that was years ago. Even the Weather Network is still in SD. Does anyone know how that works, why they choose to broadcast some channels in SD?

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
The rights for each different "transmission method" is negotiated and paid for separately.

SD
HD
On-demand
Streaming/OTT
etc.

It can cost more for HD, therefore, there has to be enough audience or incentive for the service provider. Bandwidth also costs money. The provider may also wait for contract renewal negotiations.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Considering they're only providing HD receivers now, why are they still broadcasting channels in SD?
There are plenty of SD receivers still in use. Even people that have HDTVs as their main TVs probably have a spare TV in the guest room, kitchen, kid's room or workout area where they use their old SD receiver because it's "good enough." There would be a backlash if Bell forced them to buy new HD receivers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Even more fascinating are some who have HD receivers and TVs but still watch channels with black bars or small stretched pictures.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I know some channels are still in SD only, but I'm the opposite, when I signed up for Bell, they were offering SD AND HD Receivers at that time. I had one HDTV and one SDTV, BUT I decided to order TWO HD receivers instead and use my old Analogue CRT TV with an HD Receiver instead of a SD Receiver and I am ever glad I did, I know some channels are still in SD Only, but the later is also true, there are some channels that are in HD only and are not available to be tuned on an SDTV. I am able to watch these HD Only channels in my basement SDTV, yes its not true HD its down-converted to 480i, but you know what? it still looks great despite the black bars on the top.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
@bigoranget that's what I was thinking about, although a lot of the SD feeds won't be dropped until 2019. At least Bell has already converted all the HD channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 which freed up a lot of space.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
One thing I noticed shortly after I obtained my Satellite TV service, Bell dropped all the Standard Definition (SD) receivers from their website and stores and only sell HD receivers and HD PVR receivers. This means if someone has a Standard Definition (SD) TV and wants to order Satellite TV, they will have to get a HD Receiver, which solves a lot of problems, but may introduce one small problem if their tv is coaxial inputs only, and no Composite Inputs then yes they will have a compatibility problem. but I doublt this will be a huge problem may be only a small handful affected by this.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not having an RF connection is not the end of the world, all you need is a cheap modulator, as most work in either direction, RF to Composite and composite to RF.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
That's true, I have a cheap RF Modulator from back when Radio Shack existed in Canada, it does the job. Also when I was a kid, I had no way of hooking up one of my Video gaming system AV out connection to one of our TV's so I had to improvise and use my VCR as an RF Modulator and it worked.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
The thing with SD vs HD wil go on for some time. The catch here is receivers SD vs HD.

The thing is SD receivers are way cheaper to buy then HD receiver and thats where the issues is today.

Lets face it, in today's world most individuals have at least 3 TVs or more, and the cost of putting a new HD receiver on those with SD receivers can add up.

The thing is, is how much are you willing to spend?

Now grabt you there is a different between Dish & Bell/Shaw? Dish when they converted both their MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 both their SD & HD channels everyone who had MPEG 2 receivers in the Eastern Arc of subs got free replacements. It cost a lot but kept customers.

Now Dish has way more money then Shaw or Bell, but Bell & Shaw also has less customers.

I'm not sure of what Shaw plans are for conversion of channels ands receivers to customers is, but when Bell converted their HD MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 they replaced everyones HD Mpeg 2 receivers to MPEG 4 receivers free. It cost Bell a lot of money but it kept customers.

Like I said I'm not sure if Shaw is give sub free upgrade receivers or not that I don't know, but if they want to keep customers happy sometimes it better spends money in order to keep subs then loosing subs in forcing them top buy new receivers?

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are plenty of SD receivers still in use. Even people that have HDTVs as their main TVs probably have a spare TV in the guest room, kitchen, kid's room or workout area where they use their old SD receiver because it's "good enough." There would be a backlash if Bell forced them to buy new HD receivers.
The ones currently in existence yes. But if your unit malfunctions, it will be replaced with an HD unit. If you come in new to Bell, you'll only be able to get an HD unit. That's what I was told by Bell. They're trying to phase them out and will change over eventually. As if they haven't done other things that have upset customers. My point is, if they're making us get HD units (as new customers or as replacement units) then they should broadast the channels in HD. As for the higher cost, it's not like Bell can't afford it. As I said, Rogers has had these channels in HD for years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lets face it, in today's world most individuals have at least 3 TVs or more, and the cost of putting a new HD receiver on those with SD receivers can add up.

Like I said I'm not sure if Shaw is give sub free upgrade receivers or not that I don't know, but if they want to keep customers happy sometimes it better spends money in order to keep subs then loosing subs in forcing them top buy new receivers?
I was thinking the rentals, I figured more people rent than buy a receiver. It's $7 to rent an HD unit and $5 to rent an SD, so not much difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Still no HD for BBC Canada. All those nice shows and we're stuck watching them in SD. We're in 4K now, for Pete's sake, and they're still broadcasting channels in SD. Cheapskate Bell.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Definitely not defending Bell...but I'm thinking it has more to do with the limited bandwidth Bell has left on their satellites.

Unfortunately Bell is renting out a lot of space on their birds right now...no idea for how much longer but if they stopped then it would open up significant space for more HD channels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Then broadcast BBCC in HD and get rid of the Aquarium Channel. Does anyone really watch that? The most ludicrous was the Rotisserie Channel. Chicken revolving in stunningly crisp HD while we have to watch some beautifully shot programs on BBCC in SD.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@JNow Bell TV has an Aquarium Channel and a year round Fireplace Channel but I've never seen this Rotisserie channel? What's its number or are you spreading an urban myth?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, there was a Rotisserie Channel quite a few years ago, but I think the correct point that @JNow was making is that any explanation from Bell or otherwise claiming not enough bandwidth to transmit some stations in HD is a bit silly, since there are so many goofball channels burning up bandwidth.

At the very least, do we really need to provide every channel in both HD and SD? When will this SD requirement end?

elyk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts