Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get Bell TV (yes new subscriber) but I'm wondering if there are any deals on at the moment? I thought I heard on the radio 2 years free HDPVR rental, but all I see online is 12 months free rental. I'd also go for a good price on a purchased HDPVR, but all I see is 499-200 credit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
2 year free HD PVR rental?

Is there any way to get a two year HD PVR rental with bell as a new customer? I know you can if you want internet or phone with them, but I don't. I also you can as a retention thing, but I'm new to bell. Any Suggestions?

David

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also have been looking into joining bell as well, this is the first I even heard about the free HDPVR rental, but yes the best deals out there seem to be buy a HD PVR for $499 and you get $200/credit or add a second HD box for $199 and you then get $300/credit.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Be aware that accepting special offers and free installation with Bell TV locks you into a 2 year contract. The 2 year free rental is a good deal since you can haggle for a similar deal (with Bell or another BDU) when the contract expires. HD equipment will probably be better and cheaper in two years as well. Buying is only a good deal if rental costs will be incurred during the life of the contract. In that case, compare the net cost of the equipment minus the probable resale price with the total cost of rental during contract and the possible rental or purchase costs past the end of contract.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So bob are you saying that for me, it would maybe be better to rent the HD PVR and buy the the HD box? Keep in mind it's a two year deal, and yes the first year's rent is free but the second year it's $20/month. So 20 X 12= $240.00 in rent for the second year of your contract.

If someone is to buy the HD PVR for $499, Bell is offering $200 in credit so in essence you're only paying $299. Paying $299 and owning after 2 years or renting and paying $240 rent after 2 years and not owning a thing. Seems like buying is the better idea at this point.

da_guy: I checked on their website, it's a free 1 year rental if you just get Bell TV, If you get TV and Internet or phone it's 2 years free rental, and if you get TV and internet and phone then it's 3 years free rental on the HD PVR box.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's right. You get 1 year with 1 new service, 2 years rental with 2 new services, and 3 years rental with 3 new services.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
My parents house got cold-called yesterday from Bell (clearly from overseas - likely India) with an offer of free install, 1 free HD receiver, 2 free SD receivers (not rentals - free to keep), an an international combo of choice free for 1 year. Standard 2 year contract and no other strings attached. I ended up speaking to them and tried to negotiate 1 HD PVR and 1 HD receiver but no dice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I actually just signed up yesterday. Bought the 9241 HD PVR and the 6131 HD Receiver at The Source, for $698.00 but they offer $50 in store credit and I knew the clerk so got free 3 year warranty and left paying $659 taxes in. Bell is giving me back $250 in credits. So it only cost $409 also got free install the next day.

And when I activated the account I actually got free HD for the first year (a promo no one told me about) and Movie Central free for the first 2 months. All in all I think it's a good deal. $409 upfront to watch TV seems expensive but where I live (SK) the two cable companies will only rent their HD PVR boxes for $15/month and additional HD boxes for $10/month. So that's $25/month X 12 months =$300/year in rent!! So in a year and I half I would have spent more on rent then owning through Bell. Plus not to mention the free HD and, much better quality (even my dad was amazed how good the SD looked compared to the Sasktel we had) and of course all of the channels too. Very happy with my choice. and to be honest between my GF and me we have had to call customer service 3 times already and have had no issues, friendly and very helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts