Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Has anybody heard what theme pack The MLB Network will be part of? I am on the old theme packs. Not the Good, Better and Best theme packs

·
Registered
682 Posts
I too am still on the original packages and upon checking "my programming" and using the search box for MLB Network it shows as a green check mark and "Included in your current line-up."

I have no special programming, about as cheap as we can get it. So I would say it's included in Sports 1 like NFL Network.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just went into my programming and the MLB network is available in à la carte; either in a 15/20/30/40 channels bundle or at 2.00$ as an extra channel.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
@mmc-dsm: I take it that you are lucky to be resident of Quebec? The ROC have only one a-la-carte option (10 channels/$20.00) to select. Individual channels are a minimum of $4 with the more popular ones priced at $7.00. Nice united country, eh?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My most recent bill says that as of June 8 Cottage Life, Makeful, and Miracle will all be included in the base Digital Standard Package.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"Rent to Own" Cancellation Question

I have 2 Bell Satellite 6131 model HD recievers. Initially I was renting them monthly and then I completed a full 36 month "rent-to-own". I'm now thinking of canceling my service due to the frequent price increases. Am I able to keep the recievers? Since technically, I should own them...but I want to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
16,666 Posts
@ryanrider I moved your post to this thread where we discuss pricing, rent vs. own, etc. Here's an old post from 2014:
Ok, so I finally hit month 36 on my rental agreement for 2 HD receivers.

The deal was, after 36 months I would own the receivers.

Now I am offered to call them and confirm I want to own the receivers, or do nothing and Bell will own the receivers for the next 24 months but I would be covered by an extended warranty.

Questions:

How does the warranty work? Is this Dishcare or something else? Does this cost me anything if I use the warranty? Any monthly fees?

If I decide to leave Bell in 12 months, does that mean I have to give Bell the receivers, even though I paid for them over 36 months? (I assume I could sell them used, or is that not allowed by Bell anymore)?...
Bell has had many different polices over the years, so the only way to know for sure is to talk to Bell and make sure they have them recorded properly on your account. According to this quote, you may have had to take some action to take ownership of the receivers.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I checked on prices today to see if there is a better deal than advertised on the web site. Not really, only offering a free HDPVR on a two year contract. It sucks they have only Three packages. The better is the best package but has allot of channels I do not watch so why pay for them. They have not changed, Shaw has better programing but there hardware sucks.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I also found out Bell has a cancellation change, they have a two year contract for new customers, they charge 150.00 if you cancel in the first year, 75.00 in the second year. Really.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Found this :

Although the rules won't be in force until September 2017 at the earliest, "there is, however, nothing preventing television service providers from adopting the code before it comes into force," the CRTC said. "They are strongly encouraged to make the necessary adjustments to their respective processes so that Canadians may benefit from the code as soon as possible."

And found this:

Want to Switch Providers?
If you’re not happy with your current provider, you can switch.*Find service providers near you.
Your current cable/satellite company CANNOT charge you disconnection fees. If they do, fill out*our complaint form*so that we can follow-up.
Do make sure:
Your new provider can actually deliver service in your area! Sometimes there are restrictions because of mountains or infrastructure. Contact the new service provider to make sure.
You weigh the pros and cons of switching. You might lose some of the benefits of your current cable/satellite package if you switch. For example, your TV service might be discounted because you also have phone services with the company. Have an honest conversation with your provider. Fill out our checklist before you call to figure out your needs and your budget.
You pay for services you have received up to your disconnection date. However, if you are in a contract, you may be required to pay an early termination fee.
You return your provider’s equipment, as stated in their terms of service, or you might need to pay additional fees.

I will fill it out.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
@noah12: Did you read everything in that quote? "However, if you are in a contract, you may be required to pay an early termination fee..." That $150 fee could be classified by Bell as a contractual matter and not a disconnection fee. Yes, it's a matter of semantics but it is probably enough to get Bell off the hook.

(Rule #1 - Read the contract before signing preferably with a magnifying glass)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
How do you read the contract when everything is done over the phone. In my case I was told by Bell that I will not be on a contract once I agree to their offer and stay with Bell.
Sure enough after few months when talking to an agent over some issues I was told that I am on a 2 year contract.
This is when I found out that Bell will do anything to stop customer from moving to the starter package.
I am not surprised that some people record their conversation with Bell.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
@bev_fan: I have a copy of my contract here at my desk. It was handed to me when the sat. installer did his thing. He encouraged me to read it. At that time it included a 30 day trial period during which I could have cancelled with no penalty (other than a few holes in the roof). I read it over completely before I even turned on the equipment. (Maybe I'm unusual but I like to know what I'm getting. Ignorance has never been an acceptable excuse in legal matters).

(Note: This message was originally directed to noah12 by mistake).

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Obviously when service is installed it is easy to get a copy of the contract and most likely everyone gets it.
It is different when dealing with Bell years after the initial installation over the phone. Bell usually will send email to customer with confirmation number but not much details and really useless when dealing with Bell months later.
Personally if I was really upset and wanted to leave Bell I would not care about the cancellation penalty and would rather cancel the service than staying another year or so with them.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Ok, got to the bottom of this cancellation issue. Apparently when you install bell there is a install fee, whether you have had Bell before or not. The installation fee for the installer is 150.00. Now Bell waives this fee on some occasions if you are a new customer, complain etc. This is the fee they want back if you cancel within two years. 150.00 for the first 75.00 for the second. If you install the system yourself, just call and activate the receiver which you purchased or had, then there is no install fee, and no cancellation Fee. They really push the installation, you have to be diligent in saying it is ready to go and activate.

161 - 180 of 238 Posts