Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
do any other providers offer what eastlink allows --trade up to x amount of channels in a certain pkg. for others ?

for example , for my personal situation I have no need for family oriented channels so I'd trade them for channels like bbc earth , fantasy sports network etc.

I recently had some bell hardware issues that were resolved but it gave me pause to check what my only other choice in my city was (eastlink) and I really dig that ability to trade channels .

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Eastlink claims that they are the only company that offers channel exchange and I believe that's correct.

The closest thing that Bell offers is 10 channels for $20.00/month in their a la carte section, so you could pick a lower base package or fewer theme packs and add just the channels you want at a reasonable price. The only way to know which is best is to compare the total cost for the hardware and channels you actually want to watch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I looked into doing that last night dr.dave but I was confused about a few things .

I went into the change my programming screen and downgraded myself to the ''good'' pkg and selected 10 ''a la carte'' channels for 20.00 .I did not hit the confirm button I wasnt sure about something .

some ala carte channels were for $7 (mlb network and I think Cnn)yet most were 4$ .

I made my al la carte list of 10 with mostly 4$ channels but also chose two 7$ channels (mlb+cnn)and it allowed me to use them as part of the 10 choices without any prompts telling me that I couldnt use them .

I would just hate to confirm my choices and end up paying more because I chose a few of the 7 dollar ones .

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
@couch3Yes you can choose $4 or $7 channels as @bev fan said. I'm not a Bell customer, but I played around with the online channel chooser and noticed that if you choose a mixture of $4 and $7 channels and you choose 11 or 12 channels, it will always put the $7 channels in the 10-pack and will charge you extra for the $4 channels.

Out of curiosity, it looks like you will save $6/month by going with the "Good" package and 10-pack. Do you lose any channels any channels that you want to watch and did you get some extra channels you didn't have before?

·
Registered
103 Posts
@Dr.Dave
I decided to drop down from ''better'' to ''good'' but used 10 a la carte so the price difference wasnt that huge but I also cut off ''time shifting'' which was an additional 5 bucks off .The ala cartes were bbc earth ,love nature ,national geographic ,FX ,AMC ,Smithsonian ,Documentary channel ,MLB tv ,Animal Planet.
We also sub to ''movies'' for 22.50 as well (TMN+HBO+encore).I really dont think I'm going to miss anything thats been dropped to be honest ; maybe bobcat on sportsnet 360 but I could just listen to him on channel 959 (audio only)

so my bill will go from approx 128 tax in down to 115 tax in but theres a 3$ increase coming for everyone in OCT.

my next question is , how often can I sub in and out of my a la carte selections without it costing me anything ?

i.e , might be a bit top heavy on nature channels so might consider trading one for Investigative Discovery channel (which is in free prev. mode til 8-23)

p.s thanks for your answer to my question @bev fan

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
my next question is , how often can I sub in and out of my a la carte selections without it costing me anything ?

i.e , might be a bit top heavy on nature channels so might consider trading one for Investigative Discovery channel (which is in free prev. mode til 8-23)
You might have to ask Bell that question. Here is a related link, but it doesn't deal with the 10-pack specifically. My guess is that even if you do a channel swap, the billing system treats it as if you are adding one channel and removing another and you pay for the removed channel until the end of your billing period.

When can I change my Bell Satellite TV programming options?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now that I have received the official notice that Bell Sat will increase in cost by $3 October 1st.....the downgrade process will have to begin. Three bucks is not a lot of money but the process of increases every year is becoming annoying even with local news on a number of CTV stations that we will never watch and little or no new programing on speciality channels that we care little about. Have looked at the starter package plus ten channels for $20...which would cut my program costs in half. Not really keen on sports since the Blue Jays are out of the picture and have no affinity for any NHL team....a bit tired of multi-million dollar athletes and movie actors cramming up the channels. Will try to get the best deal this week.....a bit disappointing as we have subscribed to Bell since the first week available many years ago.

·
Registered
103 Posts
update on ala carte 10 for 20$

I had a back and forth on twitter with a bell rep and they stated I can change my ala carte selections as often as I want for no charge .

·
Registered
119 Posts
Expressvu vs shaw

I have shaw & had no hardware problems with either the 630 or 600 series What is your complaint? Here to see if switching is worthwhile I have almost all inclusive on Shaw at 102 a month They seem to have dropped pick 30 option & current pricing for my package is better than now offered

·
Registered
107 Posts
Adding AMC to Grandfathered Package

Hey all. Today I wanted to add AMC so I inquired how I could do this. Bell tells me the only way is to add this package:

TMN/HBO, TMN Encore, Superchannel, Crave and US Superstation - $37.00/mo.

Does anyone know a way to add this without paying this amount and not switching to the crap, crappier, crappiest bundles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
What I got by threatening to cancel

If there is another thread for this I apologize. I think it would be interesting to hear what Bell offers when you threaten to cancel you subscription.

My story is I have been with Bell for many years. They told me I qualified for a half price movie discount which I did not after having to phone several times. I asked to cancel my service. They transferred me to someone in CANADA at their retention department. It was great to speak to someone in our country. He offered me a credit for the value of the 4 months worth of movies totalling a one time credit of $75. This was worth my call and to explain the poor customer service.

One valuable thing I learned was threaten to cancel gives you the benefit of talking to someone in Canada.

·
Registered
103 Posts
is it normal to get charged 5 dollars 2 times and .01 cents within 30 seconds of switching to auto-payment via credit card ?

I also changed one ala carte selection to another one . The rep is stumped and doesnt see the two 5 dollar charges but said when changing to auto credit card payment they send a .01 cents charge to verify account is valid then refund it straight away .

my ala carte switch was from a nature channel to mlb network so could mlb be considered premium and if so , would they charge my creadit card 5 bucks striaight away ? doesnt make sense as they'd usually just tack that on the next bill .

I switched in and out of mlb network in my ala carte choices and wasnt charged extra before so I'm stumped regarding the two immediate 5 dollar charges from bell

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sundance

I read that Bell will no longer be offering this channel as of the end of Feb. and that customers can swap another channel of their choice. Does anyone have more information on this swap and what theme pack this channel is in for us on grandfathered packages? I don’t recall such a swap before.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
@slash I moved your post to this thread. Corus owns Sundance Canada and is shutting the channel down. Here's the billing notice from a Bell Fibe TV customer, but I imagine satellite customers got a similar notice:
Note - As of February 28, 2018, Sundance will no longer be offered in Canada by the content provider and therefore will be removed from your programming. If you have it through custom pack, we will add a replacement channel that you can change any time. For questions or if you wish to add, modify, cancel or extend your services, please call 1 866 310-BELL.
In other words, you will only be able to substitute another channel if you you have it as part of an a la carte package like 10 channels for $20.

If you have it as part of a theme pack, I think the channel will just be dropped and won't be replaced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Advice Needed - Bell made a promise it won’t keep

I had a lot of issues lately with my satellite account. Eventually I ended up at the retention department one of the agents indicated that he could give me the theme packs for free. This meant to savings of $45 a month indefinitely. I got an email indicating that the theme parks were removed and they still showed up in my programming on tv. When I got my bill the credit was not there I called to the retention center again and spoke with an agent he said the previous agent made an error and there was a glitch that they could not offer me the savings. They offered me a one-time credit of $45 which I declined a manager is going to call me back. What do you think I should do I should ask for? The notes on the account are clear of the offer made which they are not able to offer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Notice in my current Bell Bill.....as of April 12, 2018 KTLA, WGN, WPIX and WSBK will no longer be in Better package but will be added to Timeshifting. Peachtree no longer in Better but added to Learning News and Best. Not sure what Bell is up too but it would be nice to know their long term plans. The cord is getting shorter every day. In addition the Internet is going up $5 a month....gotta pay for the new wires....ha ha!

181 - 200 of 238 Posts