24 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Thanks for the links Proton

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I find it interesting that the pricing structure is completely different in Quebec. It's likely due to more competition and better consumer protection laws there. It also makes me feel like customers outside Quebec are being screwed over by Bell and their cable companies.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I find it interesting that the pricing structure is completely different in Quebec. It's likely due to more competition and better consumer protection laws there. It also makes me feel like customers outside Quebec are being screwed over by Bell and their cable companies.
Quebec is the guinea pig for a-la-carte which the CRTC is allowing for all BDUs in the rest of Canada officially in the summer of 2011. Under this program the only rule is that 50% of your channels must be Canadian.

The reason Bell chose Quebec is for their test is obvious. It is their home province and as several have noted in this thread and others their competition in Quebec is stiffer.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
FYI to anyone looking.

You can't get those prices.

Extra $5 per month per package if you don't subscribe to 3 bell services plus $3 per month digital service fee plus 1.5% LPIF fee.

Once again Bell's marketing borders on the fraudulent as those "package" prices will never be seen on your invoice.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
How on earth do Bell get away with this BS.?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Great post....now im surprised....

Why? my contact works in the marketing department. And nothing about this
new version... I think I need to go have lunch with her again!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
How on earth do Bell get away with this BS.?
It's all in the fine print actually... I don't think Bell is the first, or last, to do something like this. Interesting though that in Quebec the 1.5% fund stuff is included in the price but not in other provinces. Also, Quebec gets a $10 bundle discount while Ontario gets only $5... Ever since I switched to a-la-carte I have been saving about $15-$20/month and have more channels than before because I hand picked them. :)

·
Banned
844 Posts
Bell's theme pack structure leaves something to be desired, although I believe they package channels the way they do to get you to subscribe to as many theme packs as possible. In any event, I still think the News, Learning & Family packages need an overhaul, here is how I would package these channels:

News

BBC World News
BNN
CNN / CNN HD
CP24
CNBC
Fox News Channel
HLN
MSNBC HD

Learning

Bio
Discovery Channel
Discovery Science
i Channel
Investigation Discovery
Military Channel
National Geographic Channel

Lifestyle 3

Book Television
G4
History Television
TLC
VIVA

Family

Animal Planet
BBC Kids
Nickelodeon
Family
Playhouse Disney
Teletoon
GSN

Youth

Bite
bpm:tv
MTV2
MuchMusic
MuchMore
Much Vibe
PunchMuch

CTS- move into Digital Standard, where it should be, its not a specialty channel!
Mystery TV- move into variety 2
Silver Screen Classics- move into More Movies

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell TV (ExpressVu) had the best packaging structure when I subscribed about 7 years ago. Since then, it has become a mess. New, unrelated channels have been thrown together in new theme packs to force customers to subscribe to more theme packs. Theme pack prices have gone up substantially, especially for people who want fewer than 5 theme packs. SD channel dependencies have been added for HD channels that did not exist initially. The original HD theme pack has been sliced into ridiculously small HD theme packs. It's all been done to leverage more money out of customers while the quality of service has dropped dramatically. I expect it will continue to get worse in order to pay for the acquisition of more new customers and services such as CTV.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
although I believe they package channels the way they do to get you to subscribe to as many theme packs as possible.
Clearly, otherwise everything would be a la Carte.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So in Quebec.
Basic + Best of the Best + Movies + all HD packs= $163 or $108 bundled. Am i reading that right?

Also, looks like HDnet would have been lumped with HD variety pack. I can see why they were upset.

·
Registered
556 Posts
So in Quebec.
Basic + Best of the Best + Movies + all HD packs= $163 or $108 bundled. Am i reading that right?

Also, looks like HDnet would have been lumped with HD variety pack. I can see why they were upset.
Not sure how you do your math.

Basic is 30$, Best of The Best is 60$, Movies is 13$ and HD Themes are 15$.

Grand Total is 118$ less the bundle discount of 10$ = 108$.

How did you get $163 ??

·
Registered
556 Posts
the large number is the bell bundle price, best of the best shows as 60/90 does not include basic?
I have no idea what you are talking about (why would price with a bundle discount be more than regular price??).

It's 108$ with a bundle discount not including SAF, CRTC fee and taxes.

Best of the Best is 60$, you need Basic to access Best of The Best. So 30$ + 60$ = 90$ less bundle discount = 80$.

Add HD 15$ and Movies 13$ = 108$

·
Registered
489 Posts
nevermind, the small number in the top corner is cents. so $60.90, odd thing to show as most providers advertise in round numbers.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.