Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The movies cannot be 1080p because Bel HD-PVR receivers only support 1080i or720p (press menu -6-8 on your remote and you will see my point).
I'm not an expert by any means, but I did try one of the movies to see if it was actually 1080p. The screen flickered to change resolution, and then according to the information screen on my TV it was indeed 1080p at 24 frames. When I switched back to regular programming, the information screen told me it was back at 720p at 60 frames, the resolution I normally have the receiver set to.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Can someone please explain why I would pay $7 to rent a movie that I can view for 48 hours max, when for $6 I can buy the movie, record it to my dvr, and watch it whenever I want as often as I want?
The sad truth is most people have no clue.

The majority of TV viewers, even those with PVR's watch live television and don't bother fast forwarding through commercials when watching their recording. (this has been validated by studies)

Bell, Rogers etc, often offer products and services for the simple fact that people don't understand so they have to offer it to avoid losing business.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The screen flickered to change resolution, and then according to the information screen on my TV it was indeed 1080p at 24 frames.
Interesting. I suspected they might do that, but it's nice to have it confirmed. Which receiver do you have, btw? (I assume you are connecting it through HDMI to the TV)

·
Registered
380 Posts
If the hardware is in fact capable of displaying VOD using 1080p/24, it should be possible to transmit a 1080p channel which the receivers can decode. I wouldn't expect that anytime soon though, due to Bell's lack of space on their satellites.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The VOD is a full time 1080p channel. It's just not meant to be watched live. But, a live 1080p channel is not a good idea anyway, because it will only be capable of 24fps, which is movies only format. It would not be possible to show any documentaries, or any kind of video at all on it, which would limit a lot its appeal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if these on demand 1080P movies are being shown in their original aspect ratio or are they are they in 16:9?

I stopped buying the regular HD movies because almost all new releases were in 16:9, even if the original aspect ratio is 2.35.

Only some of the "free" HD movies on the Movie Network or Super Channel are in the original aspect ratio- this as opposed to HDNET or TCM which always shows in the original aspect.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes, it will, providing you are connected via HDMI, I believe.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts