Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I believe that is also correct. These 1080p movies will not take up more space than regular HDTV. For one, they are compressed with MPEG4 which provides much better compression than MPEG2. For another, they are most likely encoded at 24fps, like BD, instead of 60fps or 30fps like 720p and 1080i HDTV. Once the numbers are crunched, there is not a huge difference between the three formats.
Yea, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something in there about them being at 24 FPS rather than 60 FPS, but I'll have to look through it again to confirm.

EDIT: Yup, here's what is says: "Bell TV’s On Demand service has been designed to show 1080p resolution at 24 frames per second."

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
They appear in the guide starting around channel 1000. Only a few are listed as 1080P. Not sure how you tell if they have already downloaded or not. Perhaps they don't show up in the guide until they are fully downloaded.

-Mike

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks like it's active. Channel 1000.
How is On Demand different than Pay-per-View?

You can start watching an On Demand event whenever you want. You can rewind, fast forward and pause the movie and watch it later - as long as it's within 24 to 48 hours of when you ordered it.
What level of Bell TV service do I need to view On Demand?
All Bell TV customers with a Model 9241 or 9242 HD PVR receiver can browse and rent On Demand events. Your model number is displayed on the front panel of your receiver. Your receiver is compatible if you see the number 9241 or 9242 in the lower left hand corner.

There are no order buttons like the other Pay-per-View titles, how do I order On Demand?

There are 3 ways you can order On Demand:
  • Use your remote and order on screen - it is the most convenient way to order. Your receiver must be connected to the Internet or via a phone line. Go to Channel 1000 (English) or Channel 1800 (French). Using your remote control, highlight the event you want to order, press Select and follow the prompts.
  • Order by phone through an Automated Service Representative. Call 1 866 68 ORDER (67337). You will need the Event ID and your purchase PIN.
  • Order through a Customer Service Representative. Call 1 888 759-3474. You will need the Event ID and your purchase PIN.

I have ordered On Demand on my set-top-box, how long do I have to view it?

On Demand events are available to view over a 24 to 48 hour rental window.
Go to Channel 1000 (English) or Channel 1800 (French) on the Electronic Programming Guide (EPG).

Highlight the event you want (or have) rented. Using your remote control, press the Info button. Within the event description, you will find the rental window and how long the event is actually available for. You can view an On Demand event as many times as you want during the 24 to 48 hour rental window.

·
Registered
311 Posts
oh, as many as i want to, well if i rent 1 event on on demand, once i watch it once, i will not watch it again....

to bad they don't do real thing for tmn on demand, mpix on demand etc etc etc....

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. Especially since the movies they have on there are the same group as they have on the regular PPV. Some of which starting every 15 mins. If I was actually wanting to rent a movie from Bell, I'd wait the 0-14 minutes and record it as a regular PPV so I can keep it for as long as I want.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. With a PVR, the on-demand benefit is somewhat negated. The only real advantage is higher quality picture (presumably) since it's 1080P and not broadcast.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. Especially since the movies they have on there are the same group as they have on the regular PPV. Some of which starting every 15 mins. If I was actually wanting to rent a movie from Bell, I'd wait the 0-14 minutes and record it as a regular PPV so I can keep it for as long as I want.
I also only see one that actually states 1080p.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Really it's just a marketing gimmick to claim they have VOD so they can confuse customers who aren't aware of the difference between 10 HD movies on your hard drive and thousands of hours of VOD content on cable.

Granted, it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
do the 9241 and 9242 switch their HDMI output to [email protected] when playing these 1080p movies? How about component output?
Good questions. 1080p movies would only be of benefit with a 1080p TV. Many newer sets are but many in use are not. I assume that the PVR will do format conversion to 60fps and/or 1080i, if required.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Arthur Dent said:
So, do the 9241 and 9242 switch their HDMI output to [email protected] when playing these 1080p movies? How about component output?
I didn't know that the 9241 and 9242 even supported [email protected] out.
My guess would be they are broadcast and recorded at 24 fps, but the receiver scales them up to 60 fps on the output. A lot of HDTVs do not accept 24 fps input.

As to the recording, I doubt the receiver is recording 10 complete movies. My 9242 has approx 30 hours of capacity; 10 movies at 90 min would take up half of that capacity, all else being equal. Even if DISH/Bell formatted a secret partition on our harddrives from the factory, I can't see it being that large ... they'd basically be wasting a ton of capacity they could otherwise brag about. My guess is that they would record, say, the first 15 minutes of each movie. When you order it you start watching that small recorded bit while the receiver then goes out and begins recording the rest of the movie from a different feed, such as the PPV broadcast of the same movie.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
The Bell HD PVR receivers have always had a portion of their disk reserved for this, so it doesn't interfere with the space allocated for your recordings, which remains the same. And yes, it has been a waste but that's the way the dish software works. The movies are also compressed using MPEG4, so they're much smaller than their MPEG2 equivalents.

-Mike

·
Registered
304 Posts
I see that these new channels are on transponder 6 sat 82. This tp was never used before and I was HOPING they would add some good HD channels to this available tp.
VOD - what a waste of valuable bandwidth!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can someone please explain why I would pay $7 to rent a movie that I can view for 48 hours max, when for $6 I can buy the movie, record it to my dvr, and watch it whenever I want as often as I want?

If this was a true on demand service where you could watch tv shows or have on demand access to things like Playhouse Disney, Treehouse, or HBO, then this might be exciting newss.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Can someone please explain why I would pay $7 to rent a movie that I can view for 48 hours max, when for $6 I can buy the movie, record it to my dvr, and watch it whenever I want as often as I want?

If this was a true on demand service where you could watch tv shows or have on demand access to things like Playhouse Disney, Treehouse, or HBO, then this might be exciting newss.
Even if Bell did what Dish Network and DirecTV do in the US...they release their "on demand" 1080p movies the same day as the movies come out on Blu-ray.

Then it might make the price tag easier to swallow...especially for shut-ins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The movies cannot be 1080p because Bel HD-PVR receivers only support 1080i or720p (press menu -6-8 on your remote and you will see my point).

How many GB of storage do 10 HD movies use, if encoded in MPEG4? I swear my free space on my PVR has dramatically dropped this week.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts