Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

921 - 940 of 960 Posts

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
A separator is actually called a DPP Separator. It will ONLY function with a DPP based LNB / Switch. It will NOT function with legacy Non DPP equiptment.

You need a second line off your dish/switch to the 2nd coax tuner

·
Registered
15 Posts
A separator is actually called a DPP Separator. It will ONLY function with a DPP based LNB / Switch. It will NOT function with legacy Non DPP equiptment.

You need a second line off your dish/switch to the 2nd coax tuner
Even if you have a SW21 after the LNB’s?

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
SW21 is not dpp its legacy equipment. You are probably using a coax cable Splitter from home depot. Those are not meant for satellite even tho they say they work with it.

Note. Satellite technology is a little different than cable tv you can not use conventional tv splitters to give signal to more receivers or tuners. You need a new line from the switch or full dpp technology to feed two tuners with one coax.

This is why many people i know replaced their legacy stuff with DPP

·
Registered
15 Posts
SW21 is not dpp its legacy equipment. You are probably using a coax cable Splitter from home depot. Those are not meant for satellite even tho they say they work with it.

Note. Satellite technology is a little different than cable tv you can not use conventional tv splitters to give signal to more receivers or tuners. You need a new line from the switch or full dpp technology to feed two tuners with one coax.

This is why many people i know replaced their legacy stuff with DPP
Alright. I’ll pick up a new to me dish, found one on Kijiji for 40 bucks. DPP Separators will be here Monday from Amazon.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Since an sw21 is being used that tells me there are two dishes. A DPP requires a single dish with the skew adjustment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Folks,

Got a 9400 with failed hard drive. Tried commands from 6, 3, Info, Browse, Themes (Format, Initialize) and this drive is mechanically damaged.
I have tried 3 other SATA drives I've had around, but the 9400 won't recognize any of them or format them.

The HDD that Bell originally provides with the 9400 is the Toshiba DT01ABA100V. I would like to try to 2TB version of that drive which is DT01ABA200V, but both drives are VERY hard to find in Canada.
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the Seagate Pipeline ST1000VM002 worked for them. It is also very hard to get with only one place showing it and the price is too high. ($186) I do find the 2TB version of that for $130 + shipping, but not a return policy that would allow me to try that. (ST2000VM002)

I find what I think is a slightly newer version of the Seagate Pipeline (Optimized for PVR) ST2000VM003, but don't have a return policy that would let me try it blind.

Ideally, I would like to see if anyone has had success with a 2TB drive and failing that, will go with a 1TB drive. Drives that are appropriate for this application generally have minimal power saving features and if they do, quick startup and typically run around 5,900 RPM to keep the noise down.

I would like to try the Seagate Pipeline (Optimized for PVR) ST2000VM003, but am hesitant to.

I will appreciate any constructive suggestions. I will probably try Bell, but doubt I will reach anyone knowledgeable about this and spend alot of time trying.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Folks,

Got a 9400 with failed hard drive. Tried commands from 6, 3, Info, Browse, Themes (Format, Initialize) and this drive is mechanically damaged.
I have tried 3 other SATA drives I've had around, but the 9400 won't recognize any of them or format them.

The HDD that Bell originally provides with the 9400 is the Toshiba DT01ABA100V. I would like to try to 2TB version of that drive which is DT01ABA200V, but both drives are VERY hard to find in Canada.
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the Seagate Pipeline ST1000VM002 worked for them. It is also very hard to get with only one place showing it and the price is too high. ($186) I do find the 2TB version of that for $130 + shipping, but not a return policy that would allow me to try that. (ST2000VM002)

I find what I think is a slightly newer version of the Seagate Pipeline (Optimized for PVR) ST2000VM003, but don't have a return policy that would let me try it blind.

Ideally, I would like to see if anyone has had success with a 2TB drive and failing that, will go with a 1TB drive. Drives that are appropriate for this application generally have minimal power saving features and if they do, quick startup and typically run around 5,900 RPM to keep the noise down.

I would like to try the Seagate Pipeline (Optimized for PVR) ST2000VM003, but am hesitant to.

I will appreciate any constructive suggestions. I will probably try Bell, but doubt I will reach anyone knowledgeable about this and spend alot of time trying.

Thank you.
Well, I tried the Seagate Pipeline (Optimized for PVR) ST2000VM003 HDD as an internal drive in the 9400.
It will not recognize the drive. I used DISKPART to make sure there were no volumes on the drive, also tried creating a partition for it.
Each time I try to force format using hidden menu presses Menu, 6, 3, INFO, BROWSE, THEMES and then Play, Play, Recall - it says it will format it, but does not.

I then tried to use the same drive as an external drive. I ensured there were no volumes or partitions on the drive, put it into a NexTar USB 2.0 enclosure which has its own power, I was prompted to format it in the receiver, did so, rebooted and kept doing the same thing over and over, prompting to be formatted. An interesting thing is the Bell 9400 creates 4 partitions on the drive, a 1TB, 2 x 500 GB and another around 840 GB.

I am getting frustrated. Tried same with a WD Green drive. Nothing is working for me. Why can't Bell get a receiver with has an auto detecting SATA controller!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 9400 that has audio drop outs (about 1 sec) a few times per hour and also picture freezes for about 5 secs.
These occur mostly during playback of recordings. I get no error messages and diagnostics are good.

I haven't seen any posts regarding failed caps in the 9400, so could this be HDD issue or caps?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 9400 that has audio drop outs (about 1 sec) a few times per hour and also picture freezes for about 5 secs.
These occur mostly during playback of recordings. I get no error messages and diagnostics are good.

I haven't seen any posts regarding failed caps in the 9400, so could this be HDD issue or caps?
Hi Mark,

Three possibilities I see, but I am not a Bell Tech ;0)

1. If during live TV and playback of recordings: Signal from the dish near the threshhold of dropping out at time of recording. If this had been a storm, it would not persist. If it does persist, ensure signal level is well above 70 for 82.
2. If during live TV and playback of recordings: I suppose an issue with HDMI could also cause this. Try connecting a different way - either through an audio receiver with HDMI - or direct to TV to see if it persists. Some components can have firmware updates applied to correct things like this, but typically only high end stuff. (My Anthem AV Pre-amp does.)
3. If only during playback of recorded content: Damaged sectors on a hard drive can do lead to this. There is a way to mark sectors as bad and to not use them and continue with the drive afterward. It involves connecting the drive to a computer, deleting all partitions, create a new partition, run the drive manufacturer's software to discover and mark bad sectors. This would not be discovered by any test other than one which scans every sector of a hard drive. After marking them bad, you'd have to delete the partition, possibly do a full erase with overwrite (Sea Tools for Windows for Seagate Drives or Macronit Data Wiper Free for others) to write 0's to the whole drive and then clearn NVRAM on your receiver (Menu, 6, 3, INFO, THEMES, BROWSE, then within 5s press TV/VIDEO and you should get a message that NVRAM was corrupted and will be cleared, disconnect power, install your drive, then connect power and it should format and make your drive usable again.)

NOTE: All content (Movies/shows) and timers will be gone. Also, it depends how many sectors are bad on a drive, I believe they can operate fine with up to 200 bad sectors and a small amount (Less than 50) is normal, but more is a sign the drive could be failing.
If it was audio only, I would try turning Dolby Surround on the Bell 9400 audio menu off to see if it changes.

I hope this helps. Lets see what others who are more experienced will say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Mike,

It seems that I mostly watch recorded or time delayed programs. Last night was particularly bad for audio dropouts while watching a program delayed by about 30min.
My signal strength is 93 to 100 depending on transponder.
HDMI cable is direct from 9400 to TV.
Will need to watch some live TV (commercials are Hell!) to see if problem is there also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I tried the Seagate Pipeline (Optimized for PVR) ST2000VM003 HDD as an internal drive in the 9400.
It will not recognize the drive. I used DISKPART to make sure there were no volumes on the drive, also tried creating a partition for it.
Each time I try to force format using hidden menu presses Menu, 6, 3, INFO, BROWSE, THEMES and then Play, Play, Recall - it says it will format it, but does not.

I then tried to use the same drive as an external drive. I ensured there were no volumes or partitions on the drive, put it into a NexTar USB 2.0 enclosure which has its own power, I was prompted to format it in the receiver, did so, rebooted and kept doing the same thing over and over, prompting to be formatted. An interesting thing is the Bell 9400 creates 4 partitions on the drive, a 1TB, 2 x 500 GB and another around 840 GB.

I am getting frustrated. Tried same with a WD Green drive. Nothing is working for me. Why can't Bell get a receiver with has an auto detecting SATA controller!
An update on the issue of replacing the hard drive in a 9400;
1. I saw a list of hard drives that work. Unfortunately, it is very old. I have drives that are close to models the forum stated as working; (I am very much trying to get 2TB to work.)
  • (Drive Seagate ST2000VM002 is stated to work with an old firmware) Tried the Seagate Pipeline ST2000VM003 - Not working yet!
  • (Drive Western Digital WD10EAVS stated to work) Tried the WD10EACS as I have 5 of them - Not working yet

2. With each drive above, I have connected it to a Windows Computer, deleted any partitions, then used a tool (Sea Tools for Windows for Seagate, Micronit Data Wiper for WD) to "Erase Overwrite" which writes 0s to the whole drive, then erased the 9400 NVRAM (Menu, 6, 3, INFO, BROWSE, THEMES, TV/Video), unplugged and installed the HDD. The 9400 should then ask if it can format the drive and in each case, it did not. I tried invoking a format. Also left the drive in overnight on - bothing has worked.

3. So I took a 1TB Toshiba out of another 9400 and it works - I can record.

4. Possibilities at this point are either drive compatibility or the way the drive is prepared. So I downloaded and made a boot CD of Clonezilla, an open source disk cloning tool because it can handle Linux file systems. During cloning, it failed citing bad sectors on my working Toshiba 1TB drive (@Mark H. - This could be your problem too.)

So currently, I am trying to find a way to find the bad sectors, mark them as unusable so the firmware knows this and then clone again.
My issue is most likely just incompatible drives, but I will exhaust every possibility before giving up on 2TB capacity and drives I already have. I know 1TB is alot, but I am following the great axiom of "Because I just might be able to". The Linux File system can handle 2TB and a 2TB can be used externally..
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

921 - 940 of 960 Posts