Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

901 - 920 of 960 Posts

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Yes you absolutely can use a DPP Twin or Quad LNB with a Bell 9400, a single wire and a DPP Separator. I know because I have had that setup since Day 1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it fair to say that the 9400 is compatible with both DPP and Legacy hardware?
My parents have a 9400 on the way but have the dual LNB-SW44 set up that ran their 9242.
Can anyone confirm that it is a direct swap (with a check-switch, of course)?
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello I have a 9400 expressvu set top box that I’m experiencing recording issues. I open the guide find the program I want to record I press the record button on the remote and then I set timer, when I click on done I come back to the guide and the program that I picked to record shows a Clock to the left with a number 2 beside it. When the time comes for the requested recording to start it appears as it’s recording as the icon is now red with a number 2 beside it. After the program is done I check the PVR file for the recorded program and it’s not there.

The only way I have been successful at recording is to record another program again the clock icon shows up with a number 2 beside it. I then pick a different show (the one I want to watch) and hit record NOW an icon of a clock with the number 1 beside it. And this will record as it should problem is once you get out of the program guide after the recording the STB locks up

Any ideas?

Side note I believe this is a dual tuner box but I am not using it as such

9400 Bell Expressvu
SW21 Switch
N82 & N91
SW21 cable is connect to port 2 on STB
No duel mode button

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
what is connected to the coaxial port 1 of the receiver? nothing? If this is the case i think only the older models like 9241/9242 can record on 2nd tuner input, 9400 they may have eliminated that option. I used to use a 9400 but I had Dish Pro Plus technology so I was using a dPP separator and a DPP Twin LNB when I had an account with Bell

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am on port two with coax I subscribe to Bell. Legacy LNB With an SW 21 switch currently I’m only feeding one television at this time. I agree with you I believe the 9400 no longer works as a dual Receiver as the dual mode button has been removed and with the packaging that I received it only came with one remote and no antenna. Both signals from 82 and 91 are strong no channel loss I can Pause fast-forward rewind and record it’s just when I go into the timers and record something that is not currently on right now.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The 9400 requires 2 satellite inputs for both tuners to work. With only one cable from your sw21 you are only going to get one tuner working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 9400 requires 2 satellite inputs for both tuners to work. With only one cable from your sw21 you are only going to get one tuner working.
The back of the 9400 has two spots for a connection. If you occupy both RF-connectors inputs then you would not have an output to another TV other then the one HDMI.

·
Super Moderator
56,744 Posts
You can't use an input as an output. This is not a 9242. If you wanted to connect this to a second TV you'd need something like an HDMI splitter, however, the same signal would go to both TVs. Also RF-coax on the 9242 is only SD. Not many people are interested in watching anything SD these days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can't use an input as an output. This is not a 9242. If you wanted to connect this to a second TV you'd need something like an HDMI splitter, however, the same signal would go to both TVs. Also RF-coax on the 9242 is only SD. Not many people are interested in watching anything SD these days.
Correct; but the issue I have been having is the recording function using timers.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
so it has come to the conclusion you can not "properly" use your 9400 with one coax input, you WILL need to connect Both, for the record to function. There is no way to "override" this wihtin the software. Basically the receiver is dual tuner but your only using one, so when it tries to record, it tries to use the "other" tuner which nothing is connected to, and there is really NO WAY to circumvent this, other than to feed a proper working signal to that input. Sorry but this looks like there is no solution for you at this time

·
Registered
15 Posts
so it has come to the conclusion you can not "properly" use your 9400 with one coax input, you WILL need to connect Both, for the record to function. There is no way to "override" this wihtin the software. Basically the receiver is dual tuner but your only using one, so when it tries to record, it tries to use the "other" tuner which nothing is connected to, and there is really NO WAY to circumvent this, other than to feed a proper working signal to that input. Sorry but this looks like there is no solution for you at this time
I understand what you're saying; but the user manual has one Coax from the Dish and the Second coax goes to the Second TV. This issue is how do you tell the receive what Turner is 1 and 2 where there is no Dual mode button.

You wouldn't be able to use the Dual mode option if you had two coax from the dish to the back of the receiver, unless you used an HDM splitter as suggested earlier. Either way it looks like there is an issue somewhere and it can't be fixed.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Hi Hamish. I think you might be confused, but the picture above would ONLY apply to the 9242 receiver, NOT the 9400 receiver. I can confirm because I personally have both a 9242 as well as a 9400 receiver in my possession but no longer use/require. I did EXACTLY as pictured above with my 9242 unit and I would get a standard definition picture on my TV2 and would be able to control the second tuner with a UHF remote

The 9400 receiver does NOT have such capability, both coax ports on the back are SAT INPUT ports only

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Hamish. I think you might be confused, but the picture above would ONLY apply to the 9242 receiver, NOT the 9400 receiver. I can confirm because I personally have both a 9242 as well as a 9400 receiver in my possession but no longer use/require. I did EXACTLY as pictured above with my 9242 unit and I would get a standard definition picture on my TV2 and would be able to control the second tuner with a UHF remote

The 9400 receiver does NOT have such capability, both coax ports on the back are SAT INPUT ports only
Hey 17671

I get it, I understand what your saying but the information I have does not support this theory. I hate arguing with someone who owns or owned one.

The 9400 is sold as a HD Dual-Tuner Satellite Receiver with Two HD/SD satellite tuners. Take a look at the PDF link.
xxtps:// www.belltv-commercial.ca/acolyte_public_491/file_pdf/en/9400/9400_Feature_Sheet.pdf
What do you think?

I've called Bell and they have no clue about the 9400
If the option above has been nerfed by Bell via software then I just might return the receiver.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
56,744 Posts
The 9400 is indeed a dual tuner unit. This allows you to record two programmes at the same time, as well as watching something that's already recorded onto the hard drive. This has nothing to do with (two) external TV capabilities. Of course in order to record on both tuners, you need to have the proper connections to the back of the 9400. I'm not with Bell Sat, so i try to refrain from discussing installation details, but I believe you either need a DPP setup with separator, or two lines. Others are more knowledgeable about Bell Sat than I.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 9400 is indeed a dual tuner unit. This allows you to record two programmes at the same time, as well as watching something that's already recorded onto the hard drive. This has nothing to do with (two) external TV capabilities. Of course in order to record on both tuners, you need to have the proper connections to the back of the 9400. I'm not with Bell Sat, so i try to refrain from discussing installation details, but I believe you either need a DPP setup with separator, or two lines. Others are more knowledgeable about Bell Sat than I.

That's right.

What I just found out; I need a satellite splitter behind the receiver. With the Legacy LNBs > 2 Cables from 91&82 to the> SW21 Switch to >coax then into > a satellite splitter then into the > 9400

·
Super Moderator
56,744 Posts
I believe it's called a separator, not a splitter, because a splitter can be confused with the simple splitters used for cable TV installations..

901 - 920 of 960 Posts