Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
3921 - 3940 of 3940 Posts

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Not sure about internal drives but for external drives the following applies. Transferring the programming to an external drive would allow it to be watched on another 9242 on the same account. The files can be copied to another 9242 formatted external drive using Linux. To be watched they must be on the same account.

Not sure what would happen if an internal drive is put into another unit . If the drive is recognized and not reformatted, it might be possible to watch the programing on the same account.

@Howie, Even if the 9242 is not working, the drive will be worth more than market value due to the difficulty of finding replacement drives for the 9242. I've sold non-working equipment on Kijiji but didn't get much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure about internal drives but for external drives the following applies. Transferring the programming to an external drive would allow it to be watched on another 9242 on the same account. The files can be copied to another 9242 formatted external drive using Linux. To be watched they must be on the same account.

Not sure what would happen if an internal drive is put into another unit . If the drive is recognized and not reformatted, it might be possible to watch the programing on the same account.

@Howie, Even if the 9242 is not working, the drive will be worth more than market value due to the difficulty of finding replacement drives for the 9242. I've sold non-working equipment on Kijiji but didn't get much.
My concern is I sell my 9242 for dirt cheap to a guy who fixes one or two inexpensive components and then flips it for a big profit.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
The drive alone is probably worth about $100 used. New drives that work in a 9242 are not available. There is a thread on bad capacitors in Bell receivers on the forum.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
The drive can be tested on a PC by using smartctrl (Linux.) The user friendly Windows version is called SmartControl but may require formatting the drive to a Windows recognized format.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I've recently moved to an apartment and have had to switch to a Bell Fibe service from Bell Satellite. I still have a Bell 9242 HD PVR (which I own) that seems to be of no further use to me except to play back a small number of time shifted programmes that I recorded before moving. Am I correct in this assumption? The hard drive in it is in excellent condition and it does have two inputs. My question is. Is my 9242 only good for satellite reception or can it be adapted for use for other types of video or even just audio recording? If I plugged it into one of the wired Fibe TV outlets in my apartment would it work? It's a good machine and in some ways more versatile than the ballyhooed Fibe 4K Whole Home PVR (VIP 5662). I hate to see it sent to our electronics recycler if I can find a use for it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 9242 randomly stops then restarts recording after a bit when recording a program. For example, it will record 13 minutes, skip 3 minutes, then restart and record the rest of the program. The times, the program are all random. Thinking it might be a hd problem, I added some dummy recordings but that didn't help. Starting to really bug us,
Any quick fixes? One problem is that we no longer have a landline into the house that might cause a problem with a possible solution.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Our 9242 randomly stops then restarts recording after a bit when recording a program. ... One problem is that we no longer have a landline into the house that might cause a problem with a possible solution.
Thanks!
I never hooked up a landline to my 9242 and never had a problem with the receiver or with Bell. As I understand it you only need to hook up a landline if you have more than one receiver in your home. As for your problem, I'd wonder about some kind of intermittent fault/short in the timer circuitry. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could be in the timer circuitry, but to start recording and then stop for a few minutes and then start up again is really weird.
I use it without a land line too, but I saw a post somewhere else about how to format a new hd and those steps involved getting into the Diagnostics menu and it looked like landline was needed there. I thought I'd try to format my existing hd.
Might just have to buy a new 9242. . .

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Hmmm. How would I check that one out? I always thought of it as good. No evidence of pixelation or poor signal error message that you would get in a thunderstorm - it just seems to stop dead.
Yeah. That doesn't sound like a borderline signal strength issue to me but check it out. Each negative tells you just as much as a positive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello..my 9242 is not responding to my expressvu remotes anymore. The remote address is correct ..1. I checked it in the system info screen. I have tried new batteries and a new bell remote that works on another receiver that also has address 1..so i know its not the remotes or batteries. I cant do a master reset outlined in the 9242 thread since it requires the remote. I have tried resetting the receiver on transponder 13 and power button hold. Will a one for all or harmony remote still work on this receiver?

·
Super Moderator
56,887 Posts
If another remote that works on another receiver doesn't work on this box, then you don't need a different remote, you need to figure out why this receiver isn't responding properly.

Have you tried rebooting the box by unplugging it for a minute and plugging it back in. Have you tried a different remote address like zero - I can't remember if that's an option - I don't use Bell Sat.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Go to the sys info screen and press record on the remote. That should sync the receiver to the remote address and type(UHF or IR).

3921 - 3940 of 3940 Posts