Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3901 - 3920 of 3931 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
2. My 2TB EHD works on my old 9242, but the new 9242 wants to format it stating "it was from another receiver". I thought EHDs could be transferred between same type receivers...something has changed at Bell???
Yes, that should work per the following facts thread, however, the 9242 needs to be on the same account. Is the new 9242 on your account?

Bell External Hard Drive Facts Post 2.

From post 5 of the same thread:

Q: Can I copy Recordings from one hard drive to another?
Files can be copied from one BellTV formatted hard drive to another BellTV formatted hard drive using Linux. That is useful if the BellTV hard drive becomes unusable due to first partition corruption or if the drive is upgraded. The copied files can only be watched using the same model BellTV PVR (on the same account)

·
Registered
45 Posts
57 Thank you so much for the help!!

Yes, both receivers are on the same account, although the "new" one was just added yesterday but it works and has all day, reception is perfect, seems to be just fine, Ijust can't plug the old EHD into the new receiver, but that is not a big issue right now.

I read the thread you posted, thanks, and have read it many times since I have been a Bell customer since 2010, but I think post 5 is referring to EHD, not internal drives, and if it is referring to internal drives, then I still need some help finding that big 900GB partition and seeing the files in it. I can see the partition in terminal mode in Ubuntu, but can't mount it. The 1st and second parts can be mounted.

Again, thanks, would like to get the files off the old drive and onto the new one.

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
PS both the new drive and the old drive look the same in Ubuntu, ie I can't see the big partition with the video files on the new drive either, so it's thing I need to figure out in Linux, how to mount that big partition. Maybe internal drives can't be copied?? From all the reading I've done, I thought the files could be copied.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Here's another link:

1. Don't know if you are able to transfer your recordings off the old 9242 onto an eHDD, and then get the eHDD properly recognized, but that would be the easiest.

2. Then there's the "rip" thread link in the same post. I can't help you with that. Perhaps someone else here can.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1. Don't know if you are able to transfer your recordings off the old 9242 onto an eHDD, and then get the eHDD properly recognized, but that would be the easiest.

That's the problem. the 9242 won't boot with the old drive so I can't transfer to an EHD. My only hope is to figure out how to see the files on the old internal drive.

Thanks for trying, I'll keep searching.

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi boys,

Could someone please confirm if the 9242 is USB 2.0 only? Any point in getting a USB 3.0 external drive? I am shopping for a new 2TB EHD and see data rates of 6Gb/s but at 5400 rpm, but with USB 3.0. I am guessing if the 9242 forces at USB 2.0 the same drive would be slower than a 7200 RPM drive, correct? Just want to confirm before buying new drives.

Just thinking I should ask about the internal drive as well, if I want to put a new 1TB inside the 9242, is it critical that it be 7200 RPM also, or would a 6Gb/s 5400 be okay?

Reason I am asking is that this thread started 10 years ago and drives have changed a lot since then.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I got my 9242 in 2011. USB 3.0 also started to be seen in that same year so it's possible, however if the port was USB 3, I would have thought that Bell would have drawn your attention to it as it would be a good selling feature. I can find no mention of it in the manual. It is likely therefore that the port is a straight USB 2 or even a 1 and even if you attached a USB 3 capable device it would function no better than a pre-USB 3 drive. That is how my external USB hard drive functioned until I finally got a new computer capable of USB 3 (and now USB C too).

As an aside, am I the only one who finds the whole USB naming terminology, symbols, port colours, sub-versions, not to mention connector variations etc. to be frighteningly confusing? I've yet to get it all straight. HDMI is sadly going that way too by the way. It seems the techies and nerds have taken over.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
eHDD discussion thread:

eHDD facts thread.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Could someone please confirm if the 9242 is USB 2.0 only? Any point in getting a USB 3.0 external drive?
It's USB 2.0. I'd get a USB 3.0 drive for future applications. New external USB 3.0 drives outnumber USB 2.0 by about 10 to 1 so it doesn't make much sense to limit the available options to get a slower, obsolete unit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I seem to have bricked my 9242, I was mucking around getting ready to replace the internal 320G drive with a new 1TB drive and I was playing around with clearing NVRAM and such and decided to run a quick check on the drive before I pulled it so I went into the diagnostics and it passed the short DST then I ran the long DST and we had a power failure about 2 minutes into the test. Power came back on and now I just get ALL lights flashing on the front except the left single MODE light. No screen display, nothing. I can hear the drive spin up and do it's thing like it is being read, the receiver just won't get past all lights flashing. I tried inserting a dummy smart card to see if I could get to a menu but it just does a power reset and goes back to all lights flashing.

Anyone else experience this and how did you fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I left the receiver on all afternoon and when I came back inside it seems to have fixed itself, took about 5 hours. Amazing. So for those of you who experience the same scenario with "all lights flashing" , it seems that just leaving it alone let's it sort itself out and goes back to the way it was.

Going to try to put in the new 1TB drive tomorrow, it's the

Seagate SkyHawk 1TB Surveillance Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache for DVR NVR Security Camera System (ST1000VX005)
I know people have asked about this drive working in Bell RX's but I haven't found a definitive answer, I'll know tomorrow. It is the replacement for the ST1000VM002 ( I think)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can now confirm that the new replacement for the ST1000VM002 from Seagate, the ST1000VX005 does NOT work in my 9242. Still get the 311 and 024 errors.

The search for a new internal drive continues.

FYI

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
The firmware in the 92xx series checks the drive model number against a list of drives in firmware and refuses to use any drive that isn't an exact match. Most consumers drives are not listed and, even if they are compatible in every other way, they won't work. Finding a compatible drive is difficult due to the amount of time since they were manufactured. There were lists of compatible drives posted on this forum and a few other sites. It may be possible to find a used drive that was salvaged from a 92xx receiver that failed for other reasons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks ExDilbert, that explains a lot and I appreciate hearing the technical reason of why they don't work, rather than , "if it's not on Falcons list it won't work". Wonder if Bell would ever update their firmware? Probably not as the 92xx are obsolete.

I looked at that list and even in my pile of 500GB drives going back 15 years, only found one Hitachi that is 320GB and that was in a Motorola PVR I think... I found a lot of the ST1000VM002 (used) on ebay and ordered one on a whim today as I have one in my other 9242 and has been working for a few years now. I forgot to check the suffix before I bought it, let's hope it works. :cool: It came out of a non Bell receiver from the US...we'll see.

Thanks again.

Oh and on another technical note, I have been successful in transferring multiple files from one EHD to another in Ubuntu, getting pretty good at it now and it doesn't matter what the dates are on the file folders, or which 9242 it was recorded on, you can just transfer the entire partition from one drive to another. Cool. And the internal drive on my current 9242 that had failed and which I am now replacing, I managed to fix it and it has been running for a few weeks now, but I don't trust it...I used Seatools for DOS and did a diagnostic check and sector relocation and it fixed it, booted right up and worked like it did just before the failure. Again, cool. :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 9242 lying around that is just catching dust (resets itself and is presently not functioning). It likely has a bad capacitor or two, I tried replacing a few caps that appeared to be bulging, but no dice...

A few questions:
1. Would it be something to put up for sale?
2. If yes to #1 above, what is a reasonable asking price? Canada eh...
3. If yes to #1 above, where would I list it? Locally or wider market?

Howie

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have a 9242 lying around that is just catching dust.

If I was to remove the hard drive and connect it to an old computer, what operating system { Windows XP? Linux? etc} and media player { VLC? } or editor might allow me to watch the old programs?

... or do I have to buy Howie's 9242 and install my drive into it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too have a 9242 lying around that is just catching dust.

If I was to remove the hard drive and connect it to an old computer, what operating system { Windows XP? Linux? etc} and media player { VLC? } or editor might allow me to watch the old programs?

... or do I have to buy Howie's 9242 and install my drive into it?
I believe it is some type of Linux file system (not sure on that one)... I don't think there is an easy way to play the video from your receiver on a computer...

3901 - 3920 of 3931 Posts