Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3881 - 3900 of 3931 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Reidw: The Outputs for TV work fine--it's just the composite and coax output for TV2 that don't work--they are blurry and/or make chirping garbled sounds... so I assume there is an issue with the modulator for tv 2...

·
Registered
1 Posts
9242 wont stay in

I just bought a used 9242 It turned on at first. We got it activated on our account. Moved it to another room and now it turns on , then power light goes out, you can hear the hard drive spin up but the unit power light never comes back on. Checked things over and over... very frustrated right now....

·
Registered
71 Posts
9242 died - What model will Bell send me under Dish care?

Hi, my 9242 just broke. Bell is sending me a replacement under Dish Care. Would anyone know what model of DVR I can expect to receive? Do they still have 9242s to issue to me or will I get a 9400 or something? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
9242 died - What model will Bell send me under Dish care?

Hi, my 9242 just broke. Bell is sending me a replacement under Dish Care. Would anyone know what model of DVR I can expect to receive? Do they still have 9242s to issue to me or will I get a 9400 or something? Thanks!
Please let us know which receiver Bell sends you.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
This question has probably been covered somewhere already but I haven't been able to find it.

I'm about to end my satellite service when I move into a new building and switch to a Fibre optics service. I have about 60 time shifted recordings on my 9242 receiver/DVR. Is it true that I can only view the recordings if I am connected/receiving a signal from the Bell satellites? If this is true, is there any workaround that might to enable me to see my recordings after I disconnect?
Thanks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
This question has probably been covered somewhere already but I haven't been able to find it.

I'm about to end my satellite service when I move into a new building and switch to a Fibre optics service. I have about 60 time shifted recordings on my 9242 receiver/DVR. Is it true that I can only view the recordings if I am connected/receiving a signal from the Bell satellites? If this is true, is there any workaround that might to enable me to see my recordings after I disconnect?
Thanks.
I was in your situation 3 years ago and found that not only must you receive a signal but the 9242 must be activated to watch recordings. I still have my 9242 internal HDD and 500GB external drive with no known way to retrieve/watch recordings.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
@Jaygeetee: That's what I was afraid of. Fortunately I have time to copy everything from my 9242 to my old standalone Sony hard drive video recorder. The recordings will only be in SD 480I but at least I'll be able to watch the programs.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have had other Bell boxes that were not on my account and was able to view the recordings. It was an old 9200. I did need to have a sat signal.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
New question: Will the TV2 secondary output on the 9242 receiver work with a new flat screen HDTV or is it just for old NTSC tuner sets?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
9242 fan question.
Does the fan run all the time? I have a unit that the fan spins on boot up but stops after the unit is turned on. Is it heat controlled? I have a feeling I have an overheating issue.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I usually only hear the fan when the 9242 is rebooting or an updated has just been downloaded. It definitely does not run loudly enough at other times at other times if at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi guys,

Well my 9242 just died this morning, not completely dead, it just won't stay on, the left LED comes on, fans spin up, then 5 seconds later the light goes out and nothing, about 10 minutes later the same sequence repeats. I don't see any picture, but I know something is happening internally as my TV detects a brief signal on the HDMI input but nothing displays.

I have changed all the recommended caps ( 2 years ago) and it's been running flawlessly so I don't know what to do with this. I will eventually ask for troubleshooting help but for now want to get my recordings transferred.

So today I picked up a mint original owner 9242 and added it to my account, it works perfectly, records etc. so my first concern is getting all the recordings from my dead 9242. I have spent a few hours here trying to determine if I can just swap the drive and I read about NVRAM clearing and such, which I have done in the past, but couldn't ascertain if the recordings will be lost or not as at that time I was just installing a larger new drive.

I think my first step should be to put the old drive in my Linux machine and copy all files before I start screwing around with the receivers, and hopefully it's not the drive that is faulty.

My real question currently though is, can I just swap drives without losing recordings between two 9242 receivers, and if so, please rough outline the procedure, if there is one.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spent all morning working on this and have made the following discoveries for anyone that is still following this thread. I still need some help with Linux and finding the files, maybe I'm in the wrong forum??

1. You can swap internal drives from one 9242 to another, and it recognizes it and spins right up, no formatting or loss of programs etc. However, your timers seem to be stored on the HD so you will have to set those up again. My original failed receiver was not actually failed, it seems there is something goofy on the original hard drive as when I put in the 500GB drive from my "new" 9242, my old receiver still works. Go figure.
2. My 2TB EHD works on my old 9242, but the new 9242 wants to format it stating "it was from another receiver". I thought EHDs could be transferred between same type receivers...something has changed at Bell???

What I need now is some help finding and seeing the files in Linux from an internal drive. My son is a whiz with Linux so I let him tackle this...we can see the drive on the computer, see a 2.0GB and 2.8GB partition on the drive and a bunch of small files but no large 1-5GB video files, and if we go to terminal we can see the 925GB partition but we can't mount it to see the video files. Tried several methods, no luck. With an external drive we can see all the video files, 1.0G - 5GB etc, but we can't see any of those on the internal drive.

Is there a Linux trick to copying the files from an INTERNAL drive to another internal drive? My old drive which failed in the receiver seems to be fine as it works fine in Linux.

Any thoughts, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

3881 - 3900 of 3931 Posts