Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3861 - 3880 of 3898 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
OKay thanks, I understand now it's something that won't work for my purpose.

Well, I watch the news in the morning, but have to pause when I go out for a half hour, and there is a show recording that ends while I am out, and then on the channel I am trying to tune there is a whole day of shows that I want on in the background while I am working, but don't want to record them, just have them on.

I'll just set a PVR event for 1 minute for the channel I want and delete all the 1 minute things at the end of the week. It will accomplish what I am trying to do.

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Next time this is happening, try pressing the PIP Swap button. I "think" i know what you are talking about, but I am not 100% sure myself your question and why you would wanna do that.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yes if you pause a show that is not recording and you push SWAP the pause will hold until the one hour limit runs out then the show will start playing one hour delayed. Auto tune will tune the front tuner to the channel you set and it should leave the background tuner paused.
When you return push SWAP and the paused show will come to the screen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A coworker has a 9242 that as of last night started on a constant reboot loop. He said he was in the middle of watching something and it just went blank and constant reboots ever since. He calls Bell and is told right away that the receiver is still under warranty and they are sending out a replacement asap. He doesn't have Dish care so I don't know how an 11 year old receiver still has warranty? As far as I know, Bells 9242 stock is depleted so who knows what he will get hopefully not a 9241

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bell HD PVR 9242

Hello all:

Total newbie here. I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to mimic the Bell 9242 receiver. We use ours to watch 2 baseball games at the same time via the ability to rewind on the second tuner/channel. Our 9242 has died and I'm wondering if there is another way to still be able to use this feature without buying an old 9242 from someone. Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
Wouldn't any PVR with 2 tuners do the trick? Any 9XXX Bell PVR? IIRC the only "advantage" that the 9242 has is to connect via coax (SD) to another TV...

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
But if you set the PVR to record two programmes, can you not switch between watching whatever recording you wish - pause live TV or a completed programme? I can do that with my Rogers PVR.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
when I was a Bell TV customer, my 9242 had real picture in picture so yes only this receiver supports it. my 9400 did not have picture in picture even tho it also had 2 tuners. so best to stick with the 9242 if u want this feature, i actually liked it, but everyone else will tell you work arounds which will work in theory but wont solve what your actually asking for.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Actually the 9242 has something even better namely picture beside picture. Two channels can be displayed next to each other. On a 65 inch screen that means you get two 30 inch diagonal images side by side. Its perfect for the hockey playoffs when you want to watch two games at the same time.

The feature is the main reason I will never voluntarily upgrade my satellite receiver. None of the newer equipment offered by Bell has it and I haven't heard of any other company in my area offering it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
very strange record today

I hope someone can explain what might have happened.

Set the 9242 to record F1 this morning chan 1402.
Recorded for 1:16. Should have recorded 2:30.
New recording started but it was recording chan 1602 while the description still said 1402 F1. Lucky I noticed and cancelled the recording and set back to 1402 and manually recorded the remainder of event.

The unit is plugged into a UPS so no power blinks. I was also watching another channel at the time(not 1602) and there were no issues.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I'm an owner of of 9242 but I've never seen this happen on my receiver. I have to wonder if it was a programming bug in the IPG. In other words, the IPG's description showed one channel but the internal settings were for another. Who owns the two channels? Is there any corporate connection? It could very much be an error that goes back to the source and whoever provided the information to the IPG supplier which I believe is not actually Bell TV.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The two channels are TSN and Discovery.
Now I am watching the playback and last last 5 minutes of the original recording are a frozen picture.

I have had programs stop and restart when there is a power failure and UPS battery ran out, but they always restart on the same channel and continue the original recording not switch channels.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
@jdvelin: Both owned by Bell. I can see how someone submitting the schedule could have entered 1602 instead of 1402 and not noticed the mistake.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yes, but it started recording the proper channel and then in the middle of recording something happened and it restarted the wrong channel.
So there is two issues. Why did it stop recording and why did it restart on the wrong channel. It's never happened before and hopefully it never happens again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had weird issue with 9242 over the past few days.

More noisy than usual. Rebooted, etc. Seemed to get things going.

Earlier today I couldn't see my HD channels. But SD was fine. Recorded programs fine. Killed power for a minute cycle. Checked back and they were OK. Extremely odd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I've been searching all over this thread and it seems I have a problem that nobody has successfully fixed. the TV 2/home distribution output on my 9242 seems to have gone bad (the image on tv2 is chirping and making odd noises, while the picture has lines and some snow on it. I tried changing cables, reboot, tried a different TV etc with same results... is there anything I can do in the hopes of fixing this thing?

3861 - 3880 of 3898 Posts