Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3841 - 3860 of 3898 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Receptacle was recently replaced with a new modern looking one. Works fine. No loose contacts. PVR, Blu Ray and Surround Sound are all plugged into a Monster Power Centre, then plugged into the outlet.

·
Super Moderator
56,461 Posts
...Monster Power Centre...
There's your problem. ;)

Try plugging the PVR directly into a receptacle, bypassing the Monster and perhaps on a different circuit if possible. I'm assuming that you're not running the coax through the Monster.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203-home-theatre-corner/56058-power-bar-ups-surge-etc-info-discussion.html

Certain items are more susceptible to mild power fluctuations that may not affect other devices in the home. These devices may have issues with capacitors as mentioned before or power supplies that cannot handle brief fluctuations... The 9242 is, after all, very old and nearing EOL (End Of Life).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks, I will have to see if that makes a difference...

And, thanks for the link. I did not realise this about Monster products. They are expensive, yes. Fortunately, I was able to get 2 of the higher end units for dirt cheap, and have been using them in 2 different setups in the house.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I made the change a few days ago to having the 9242 plugged directly into the wall outlet. Unfortunately the same results. Still get the "Folder" with the 2 or 3 parts inside to make up 1 hour episodes.

Does not seem like it is the Monster Power Centre that you mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
56,461 Posts
@giovanni, it was worth a shot. Something is interrupting those recordings. Is it always the same programme? if so, perhaps you have an intermittent signal issue. If it's different programmes, then you may still have a signal issue, or your 9242 is getting tired. See if you can pick up any pattern. How many other recordings do you make and are they OK? What percentage of your recordings end up split?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Signal issue has never caused me multi part recording. I usually just get messages on playback about signal loss and parts missing.

How much recording space is left on the HDD? I have had weird things happen when the HDD was almost full.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Could also be your hard disk is failing to some extent or capacitors are failing in the unit and causing strange things to happen like this. would be worth opening and checking to see if the capacitors are failing to start. How old is your unit ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not quite sure how old it is... I picked it up a while back off of a seller who left Bell. But... aren't all the 9242's OLD by now??

It seems to happen to the same program. not every time though. All other recordings seem to be OK. We don't really record much, but the one program is regular at 2-3pm weekdays.

2 hour movies seem fine when recorded, or maybe the last half hour of a show is fine as well.

Is there something that Bell does at around 2-3pm??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, did anyone had issues wit 9242 2tv output:
Description: tv conected coaxial to the receiver: fuzzy picture with unclear sound
tv connected with rca cable tv2 output on receiver, clear sound, fuzzy picture
what is strange with coaxial, if i put on modulator setup tv1 for cable 75 and tv2 for cable 73, quality of the pic is as is should be for the tv1 but tv2 gives bad sound and pic quality, replaced cables and conectors and tv's, definetily is from receiver, wondering which parts need to be replaced on receiver to fix it.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
no issues with mine but maybe try farther separating the channels so instead of 73 and 75 try 73 and 80 perhaps and see if that helps

·
Registered
34 Posts
9242 is recording shows from my other 9242

I schedule recording in my downstairs 9242 and they record fine.
However, they also record on my upstairs 9242 as well. Not all of them tho. Only seems like the new scheduled recordings.
Any ideas how to stop this?

·
Super Moderator
56,461 Posts
My first guess would be that your remote is set for UHF and at the same frequency on both PVRs, so both PVRs are responding? Change the remote address on one of the PVRs/and the remote associated with that particular unit.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My 9242 has error 05b1. It says an error detected that will affect your ability to record.
I tried a different drive from 9241 that works and the error stays.

UPDATE : It was the hard drive. I did not go through the proper procedure when I installed the 9241 drive.

Is there a current list of the drives that will work in 9242?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Did we get a software update today. I notice an issue when try to playback PVR events, specifically ones that are currently recording.
Previously when I hit the PVR I would get recorded event AND currently recording events. I could select a currently recording event and tell it start from beginning. I no longer get the currently recording events in the PVR menu.
I get the current events in the timer menu.

EDIT:

Never mind I found the issue. The timer was trying to record an OTA signal and the cable to the antenna was disconnected so there was no signal. It was not actually recording although the red light was on on the front panel. Once a sat timer kicked in and I fixed the OTA cable all is back to normal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yet another Auto Tune question

So I tried using the autotune function for the first time today and it isn't functioning as expected.

I can set it up no problem, and it wants to work, but it doesn't work like if it was a PVR recording timer. 9242 setup in single mode, I can record on one input, watch something else on the other. So when I setup the auto tune it automatically sets timer to Input1, can't seem to change that. I am watching something else on the other input (actually I have no idea what input I'm watching as I have no idea how to see that) anyway, the input I'm watching is paused, the other input is "live", and as I'm watching the paused input, I get the little clock reminder at the bottom right 2 minute warning, fine, then when the 2 minutes elapse it announces that it can only change channels in "live mode", then does nothing. Why the hell can't it change to the requested channel on the other input?

Hope I have described this scenario so you can understand what's going on. If it were a PVR recording timer, it would just go ahead and and start recording on the other input.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The whole point of auto tune is tune to that channel so you can watch the program. No matter what you are watching at the time, the PVR will try to tune to the auto tuned channel to watch it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks. Is there a way to tell it which input to tune to? It always defaults to input 1.

I guess I could just set the timer to record 1 minute of the channel then it would stay on that channel and not change the currently viewed channel.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It defaults to the screen you are watching. The non watched tuner stays where it is or records any program you have set as a timer.
if you set a timer the auto tune will switch to the auto tune and timer will record on non watched tuner.

I am trying to comprehend why you want auto tune to tune a channel you are not watching. Set a timer for that. When you set a timer the channel you are watching stays on screen unless you have two timers set then it switches to one of the timers.

3841 - 3860 of 3898 Posts