Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 3895 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu HD PVR when it becomes available.

I will update this thread when we have specs and details.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Update: See Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

Master Reset Link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1361019#post1361019

Edit by 57 - 9242 User Guide:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/9242/9242_11(en).pdf

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think the firmware is v180... not sure i'll have to check tonight but when I look before the installation and activation it was v180.

First thing i really don't like and that's bugging me a lot.. it's the time it take to change from one channel to the other... almost 7 seconds of a black screen.

And the sound doesn't seem to be in synch with the picture, using optical cable.

·
My experience with DP / DPP is that it works much better than the Legacy.

I know it is not approved, hell I have been saying that for months on this very Forum but after changing my feeds to DP / DPP I am delighted, the 9200, has not had any out of sync audio, the 6100, runs so sweet, when before it was freezing etc.

The delay between channels on the 9242 is excessive, I have one hooked up in front of me, 5 to 7 seconds per change, not sure why, this is on Legacy right now but was on DP / DPP an hour ago, no change.

Receiver is NOT activated, just running it on the free channels. This is the second one hooked up, no difference.

Therefore from my own testing, DP / DPP is not the issue at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can assure u then that even if it's activated... you'll have the 5-7 sec delay...

I think we will have to deal with the long delay !!!

if you switch between 2 channel during a program and those channel are always the same... put the 9242 into monomode and use the swap btn to switch from tuner 1 to tuner 2... it's the quickest way to switch channel ! even faster than regular TV ! hehehe.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
REPEAT! This thread is for OWNERS ONLY to discuss actual usage of the unit and their impressions.

See this thread for NON-owners wanting to learn about the details of the unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have not had any problem with delay in changing channels.
It changes instantly no 5-7 seconds.

Maybe i just got lucky.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I checked mine again and it looks like it is doing it in 2 - 3 sec now.

I guess that is better than 5-7 sec but not as good as before.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, I'm glad they 'fixed' that issue. I just purchased 2 of the 9242 PVRs and will hook everything up on Tuesday. I am a 1st time customer to BEV.
So is the EPG 2 days or 9 days?
Any ideas when/if the USB port will activate?
Swiper, how fast was channel change before? 0.5-1.0 sec? Was that with the 9200?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I'm glad they 'fixed' that issue. I just purchased 2 of the 9242 PVRs and will hook everything up on Tuesday. I am a 1st time customer to BEV.
So is the EPG 2 days or 9 days?
Any ideas when/if the USB port will activate?
Swiper, how fast was channel change before? 0.5-1.0 sec? Was that with the 9200?
Well i was sure it changed basically instantly but it seems to be different for different channels.

I never owned a 9200 so I do not know what it was like.

·
I have had a 9242 running all day now in the office and the delay varies.

HD to HD takes a little longer than SD to SD right now....

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm about to go get a 9242, but I was just wondering about installation. I remember a while back reading that these PVR's can be installed with one wire running inside and then being split into the two. Can someone confirm how this is done?

My current setup I have a 6100 and 4100, so two wires coming in. The 9242 would likely replace one of these receivers. How can I just run one of those lines to the two inputs. I already have a switch 21 I believe outside running in one line of both 91&82 and the other line is just 91.
I think you are talking about an install using DishPro Plus equipment. This works well on the 2 9200' that I own but I recall reading that the 9242 might not support this hardware.
This should give you an idea on how it hooks up.
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Installation_Quick_Reference_Guide.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
I readed that this PVR become very hot, so is the fan noisy ? Does the HD stop activity in idle mode or allwya on like the 9200 ? thanks
I received a 9242 yesterday and it runs very hot and is much louder than I expected. Almost the same noise level as the Vista Media center it is replacing...

·
1 - 20 of 3895 Posts