Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update begins rolling out today.

New firmware will support Bell's new on demand service and enable 2TB support for external drives.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it was already downloaded.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
With the new software, What drive work?

I currently have a 1 TB Lacie, and had no issues. On my second 9242, I was going to use a 2 TB Hitachi, It is a 7200 rpm, http://www.hitachigst.com/hitachi-xl-desk . Has anyone used one, or got any comments, recommendations for a 2 TB ext HDD. I have bought one for $139 which is less expensive than the Lacie, but haven't broken open the package yet.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I only had the delay for for the first minute or so after taking the 9242 out of standby, and only occasionally. After the update, I've yet to see the delay at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem, but I went away for a week, then came back to found my receiver is locking up, and also seen there was a new v187 firmware (knowing that the previous was v186). Resetting only works after about 5 attempts, downloading the program guide freezes at 100% whereas it's OK if I cancel the download; otherwise random lockups and failure to boot fully (however inconsistent as it will boot about 20% of the time when holding the power button to reset)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Video freeze after update

The PVR (9242) has been locking up since the update and its getting more frequent. Video freezes and worse yet, it freezes while in the diagnostic screens.

Anyone else experience this after the update. So far, several of my friends have had this issue and have had to have their pvr replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
got the same problem.. allowed the firmware update so I could move to a larger drive. was using v 184 previously. I have a friend who is a bell tech tell me that its a known problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Problem until last week

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my english.

We have many problems with our 9242 until last week. And yes, it have the V187 software.

Last wednesday afternoon and evening was terrific. Freeze, restarted itself but freezing in the starting process. I unplugged it, wait and plug AC again. I had to do it many time before a complete restarting. Sometime, only the TV1 green led flashing.

In the evening, i reformatted the hard drive (with the remote), also clear the NVRAM. All was ok all the night. But thursday just before noon, Same problem began again.

I called Bell, and finally, send me another 9242 (refurbished for 150$). But this week-end, no problem with mine.

I don't know if i will take the refurbished, if it's a Bell firmware problem.

What do you think about that?

G Picard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mr. Picard,

So far I've heard from 8 people I know personally who are now experiencing these very same issues.
I've encouraged them to join this forum and voice their opinions.

The very thought of paying $149 for a USED piece of gear to replace my NEW (18 month old) PVR is sickening.

Four of my colleagues have had the exact same problem and it only began occurring after the 187 firmware update.
before that time it worked flawlessly.

Its a kick in the groin and a poke in the eye with a burnt stick.

Two of the four colleagues have since received their replacement pvr's (at no cost) and everything has been working perfectly for them.

I'm thinking selling all my gear on Kajiji and tossing bell all together.

$108 per month for telephone and internet and netflix through rogers over $148 with bell... seems like a no brainer to me.

Even if we go with the ultimate package, it will be about the same as bell but unlimited movies.

Even if they replace my receiver for free, they will have a challenge keeping me as a customer. I've been with bell for 10 years, I've reached the end.

A divorce is coming.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The very thought of paying $149 for a USED piece of gear to replace my NEW (18 month old) PVR is sickening.
The new receiver you bought 18 months ago had a 12 month warranty. Would you prefer they offer you a new receiver for full price, as that is what they could do.? I think that Bell shipping a refurb for $149 is a good offer, even if it does involve shipping back the defective one as part of the deal and you even get a warrany on this receiver too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts