Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2650 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't gone through all the variables to trace the warble yet. I think it is on both recorded and live shows...but i have no idea if it is on Dolby 5.1 or not.
More checking to do!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just to tell you I am running my audio through the optical output and have no audio issues so far, my video however is component so that may be the variable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lets be honest, the MX-500 is Old, the 9241 is New, I cannot imagine it having the codes.
The MX-500 may be an oldie, but it's still a goodie! ;) Even though it doesn't have built-in codes for the 9241, it was able to "learn" the codes from the 9241's remote. I did, of course, have to switch the 9241 remote from UHF to IR for the learning process to work. Oddly enough the chapter in the 9241 user manual on Remote Control Setup excludes the section describing how this is accomplished. For that I had to surf over to the Dish Network support page for the VIP612 and download the complete chapter. (I wonder what else is left out of the Bell manual.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
hey Paul, care to share how to change the remote from UHF to IR.
Or just copy and paste the relevant section.
No problem. The remote has a well disguised "key" just below the "Bell" logo.

1) Remove the remote's battery cover.
2) With the remote face-up, pull down on the oval-shaped portion below the Bell logo. This is the key. You might have to push a fingernail along the curved crease below the logo to loosen the key. Remove the key by grasping at the bottom, and pull it straight out.
3) One side of the key is coloured silver (UHF), the other side is black (IR). To operate the remote in IR mode, simply reinsert the key black-side up.
4) Replace the battery cover.

To get UHF operation, repeat the steps above, but turn the key silver-side up. The remote seems to function in either UHF or IR mode, but not both.

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I'll be damned, that is well hidden!

Thanks for the information Paul.

That explains why my Harmony remote wouldn't learn any commands from the 9241 remote but it worked when I used the 9242 remote.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is the same procedure for 9200 remote because i have marantz rc1400 universal learning remote and the rc1400 frezze when i try to learning command over my 9200 remote

·
Registered
13 Posts
9241 HDMI question

Is there anyone running HDMI successfully for both video and audio feeds? If not are some of you running the HDMI and optical cable combo as an alternative.

I am having mine installed tomorrow and wanted to give the installers the heads up. I would prefer to have the unit work fully on HDMI but at the same time want to make sure that I receive the best audio feed.

Al B

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just picked up a 9241 this past weekend, love it. No real complaints but did notice one quirk.

I'll be PVR'ing a show and watch the show a few minutes delayed. I'll try and skip through the commercials quickly (30-seconds forward) and the odd time the picture will freeze and the PVR isn't responsive. It'll eventually "unstick" itself after maybe 5-10 seconds. I'll continue to watch then notice that the 5-10 seconds where the PVR was stuck, the same 5-10 seconds is missing from the show. I'm guessing when the PVR was stuck, it's not recording the show also. I think I seen the same thing when I was watching a recorded show also but need to confirm this.

Anybody see this issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
choppy audio

I just got a new 9241 hooked up. I'm having trouble with the digital audio output (toslink). I used the cable that was hooked up to my PS3 and had no issues. I double checked the cable again using the PS3 and it was fine as well. The receiver doesn't show the signal dropping in and out so I don't think there's any connection issue. My problem is that the sound is ok for a couple minutes, then will constantly "pop" and it sounds horrible like its going in and out. Once in a while the sound will come back in, then continue its problems and continue the cycle. Is my receiver a dud?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Gimli, ruling out hardware issue since you experienced the same thing. Hopefully a future firmware will address this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tanner,

I have also noticed the same issue on my new 9241. I experienced it trying to replay something during the Superbowl so you can imagine the reaction I had from all of the guests when the game froze. I had a 9242 that broke and was replaced with this 9241. I never had that issue come up with the 9242 so I'm hoping this is just a software issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dual Recording - live tv

Is anyone able to record an existing program after it's already started, then tune into a second program while the first is recording? For some reason, my receiver isn't allowing me to do this. I get error 324 - recording in progress. I can however successfully record 2 future events simoultaneously.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also experience the freeze once in a while, usually when pressing the skip button repeatedly. Just have to let it sit for a bit and it comes back, which is a pain because I was skipping so I wouldn't have to wait...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been using my 9241 for a week now, and I have some observations:

1) Like Tanner and others have reported, the 9241 will occasionally freeze for anywhere from several seconds to a minute or more. Once or twice my 9241 froze long enough that I had to power it off then on to bring it back to life. Hopefully a software update will fix this.

2) One of my scheduled recordings on a HD channel did not work. The scheduled timer reported "signal loss detected", which is strange since the sky was clear and cloudless at the time. :confused:

3) This may be a cabling issue, but I've noticed that the 9241's "up converting" of SD programming to HD output leaves something to be desired. There is a slight but noticeable degradation of picture quality from the HD component output verses the same programming on S-video. I have new cables on order, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

4) The HD video from HD channels is very impressive. No complaints there! :)

Paul

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
These 9241's are certainly a little odd to say the least.

Just played with and activated 7 of them this morning, all acted the same;

Signal level was in low 60%, straight from the Box.
All showed DP equipment in Check Switch Screen.
All showed 119 Sat in Point Dish Screen, with Bell 91 showing wrong Sat.
All of them had Remotes that would NOT work the receivers, all needed new address's.

All were pretty slow to respond to any Remote functions.
After downloading firmware, Signal level jumped to low 90's.
Most took 3 or more Check Switch to show the actual switch's installed.

Only 1 worked as I would expect as soon as it was downloaded.

I hope this was just an odd batch, this would be so frustrating for an installer, day after day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
UHF remote Control of 9241 with 5900's remote

I have a brand new 9241 PVR - - the old style outputs (Video-Left-Right) of which I have modulated in our family room where the PVR is located onto a Channel 3 RF carrier for delivery to our bedroom TV upstairs via cable.

To my surprise and disappointment, the silver remote we have been using with our now retired Model 5900 WILL control the Model 9241 via infrared but can't be used in our bedroom because the UHF RF side is not communicating with the new PVR.

I figure it must be an RF channelization issue - i.e. the 9241 is "listening" on a UHF channel other than the one used by the 5900.

Is there any way to positively diagnose if my hunch is right and more importantly does anyone now a hack or whatever that would enable me to get the 5900's remote talking via UHF to the new PVR ?

21 - 40 of 2650 Posts