Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2621 - 2640 of 2664 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
ssd in 9241

has anyone been able to install a modern SSD hard drive in a 9241?

just curious if this was possible?

not really looking to gain any performance but mainly to eliminate the humming sound of the spinning hard disk.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The problem with installing an SSD into a PVR is that there is a finite number of read/writes to an SSD, whereas a mechanical drive will pretty much hum away forever.

The nature of a PVR is to record/watch/delete/repeat so although an SSD is great for a computer...not so good for a PVR unless...you intend on using the PVR for archiving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem with installing an SSD into a PVR is that there is a finite number of read/writes to an SSD, whereas a mechanical drive will pretty much hum away forever.

The nature of a PVR is to record/watch/delete/repeat so although an SSD is great for a computer...not so good for a PVR unless...you intend on using the PVR for archiving.
sounds about right....thanks...

·
Super Moderator
56,687 Posts
A couple of people have put SSDs into their Rogers PVRs, however, I have the following comments:

1. The drives were (relatively) expensive for a similar size drive.
2. Experience is very limited - people only did this very recently.
3. Most people have replaced in kind with a "purple", or red or blue or black HDD.
4. As stated in posts above, SSDs may not last as long as a regular drive, however, no long-term PVR information is yet available. SSDs may have improved...

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61...rs-8642-pvr-read-post-1-a-14.html#post3070821

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61...-upgrade-replace-ihdd-9865-nextbox-3-0-a.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which USB trick are you speaking of? I had the same problem a few years ago. Plugging in a USB stick did not work but connecting a real USB HDD did get the PVR out of its funk, which allowed me to erase the NVRAM. There was nothing wrong with the internal HDD.

The unit has since been sold but as far as I know it's still working.

Kevin
Just using a USB stick in the front port. I left the unit in the stream overnight and today after work it was on the screensaver. Still think the hard drive is shot. Going to try and format the drive. It's the Seagate ST1000VM002 with sc11 firmware. I'm have issues finding a sc11. Is there another that is guaranteed to work or is just a chance you take?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
any suggestions for a 9241 with very slow channel changing and slow to boot up?

i replaced all the common capacitors (8 in total) that were puffed out. everything works fine but it's slow to boot up and slow at changing channels. perhaps there is another bad cap in there somewhere?

i tired resetting the NVRAM. formatted and tested the hard drive. all ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
9241 receiver keeps restarting

9241 just slllloooowy keeps restarting. Won't even make it to the pic. I had a quick look at the capacitors but i didnt see and swelling in any. One thing i noticed was the power light it yellow during all this. Im sure i used to be green lol What are some things i could check

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently re-activated a 9241 with no issues. Signal and pic were good.

Once it went to it’s scheduled update, I got a total signal loss, including no picture.

It isn’t even sending out a signal via HDMI, or analog, but light is green and I can hear the fan/HD kick in every so often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Bell 9241 Installation

Hi, I bought a used 9241 receiver and am about to install, currently I have a mess going on, 3 receivers and 3 dishes. I also have a Dplus dish that I plan on using. I was reading that the one receiver can be connected with a splitter to all TV's (I have 3) in the basement like the cable providers would do. The receiver has UHF antenna so I am thinking this may work, sure would be easier. I realize that the same program would probably be broadcast on all the TV's but this is not a problem. So is this possible? or is that simply too easy. I know the older receivers couldn't be run through a splitter.

·
Super Moderator
56,687 Posts
If I understand your question properly, you can certainly connect a single receiver to multiple TVs, however, in order to maintain HD quality and digital audio, you'd need to use an appropriate HDMI splitter and HDMI cables, suitable for the lengths involved to the various TVs. Anything over about 10-15 feet and you need special equipment/cables, etc. This is a very involved, expensive and complex process. You could not simply use RF-coax since that doesn't transmit HD quality or digital audio. Also, as you mention you'd be seeing the same programming on all the TVs. You'd also need to be concerned about controlling the receiver from the other rooms via the remote, which may work OK with UHF. Very few people go this route because it's complex and has so many restrictions.

I assume you're not talking about using a splitter "upstream" of the receiver because for that you need the appropriate equipment as discussed in the hardware installation section of this forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bell9241

Replaced some of the capacitors that were blown but I have a continuing issue. When the receiver is cold the HDMI signal drops. Is there any caps in the hdmi section that go bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
9241 stops recording and resets when HDMI interrupted

First, my 9241 worked fine for many years. Started acting up last year.

PVR is connected to a Yamaha receiver that is connected to a TV. Simple setup.
If PVR is set to HDMI 1 input, all is fine.
If I switch to any other input on the receiver, the PVR fan gets loud and the signal stops recording. If I go back to input 1, the PVR is looking for a satellite signal and the fan calms down.

It does not matter which input I switch to, the problem occurs (even audio only inputs).
If I unplug the HDMI cable from either the PVR or to the receiver, the problem occurs.

This was never a problem for years of use. Nothing has changed on my end; same receiver, PVR and TV.

The problem gets rectified by going back to HDMI 1 and waiting for the satellite signal to connect. But if I want to watch a different input, it starts all over again.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have had my pvr's connected to a Yamaha receiver on inputs 3 and 4 for quite a while with no issues.

How old is the receiver and have you tried changing out the HDMI cable?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, tried dozens of cables. The receiver worked fine and did not change so I can't see how it's the problem.
It's a Yamaha RX-V565 purchased it (maybe) 10 years ago.

But the 9241 should function with only a coaxial connection. It's not like it needs the HDMI to record and that shouldn't prevent a satellite signal.

·
Super Moderator
56,687 Posts
What happens if you temporarily connect the PVR directly to the TV and switch inputs on the TV?

Since the problem occurs when you simply disconnect the HDMI cable, something may have gone amiss in the 9241 - capacitors, etc. I don't think you can blame the AVR.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am home for the holidays and my parents receiver started experiencing picture lockups while the audio would continue in the background. Only a hard reset would restore video as the remote was also not functional during the video lockup. This happened 3 times over a few days then all of a sudden we start seeing various errors during the reboot now finally the 024 error. It seems the hard drive has failed and nothing we can do can get access/functionality restored to the hard drive so there is obviously no recording, no watching recorded content, no pausing live tv, no scanning ahead more than just a few days in the guide and no phone number appearing on the screen when someone is calling. We have even unplugged the unit and let it set for a prolonged period of time but no effect. During one reboot there was some message about hard drive failure and it would be reformatted or something to that extent but it had not effect.

Is the PVR now a lost cause and needs to be replaced or is there something that can be done to restore the drive? I don't suppose I can open the unit up and simply replace the drive and the unit would be smart enough to reformat it?

2621 - 2640 of 2664 Posts