Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

581 - 600 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Keep quiet as they, Bell, have made a mistake, the possibility is that the 6141 picked up an incorrect 'hit' turning that channel on, which will be corrected, either very quickly or if you are lucky, not for months or for some reason, that receiver is on a different account.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks I don't plan on calling them. It's strange as I first noticed it last Saturday I had the 6141 on for the first time in a few weeks and 1649 was there, then I checked last Sunday and it was gone, but returned last Monday and has been on ever since, but not on the other receivers. Our receivers are all on one account. I will have to check our receivers at our Canadian home next time we are up over the July 1 long weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bell 6141 IRD

Hey Guys

I'm trying to troubleshoot a receiver here and haven't had much luck. It's been unplugged from the stream for a couple months - so naturally after plugging it in I tried to complete the sync-channel feature on the bell site and it didn't seem to work this time. I've never ran into the issue before and since have tried it on a couple of occasions for this receiver with no luck. The receiver is active on my account and I've even tried to deactivate it and then reactivate it with no success.

When bringing up any channel I get the error message that the smart card does not have authorization. I can't even access the preview channels or any of the TEST channels form the guide. My guide sitll seems to get my subscribed channels when it downloads from "All Sub".

What's really odd is when I bring up the MENU, you get the picture box on the screen - which is still black but all of a sudden I get sound from any of the channels. That sound doesn't come through when I'm not in the menu system however - just the error message.

I've unplugged it from the wall and tried the reset process (Held the power button for 10 seconds).

I'm trying to avoid calling the support line as they usually give me the run around like I'm an idiot but clearly something is wrong. Last time this worked was probably in the summer time as I don't usually go into my basement in the winter.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just for future reference - I was able to fix this without phoning (I knew there would be a way).

- I deactivated the receiver online.
- I removed the receiver online from account.
- I reset the receiver to factory defaults.
- I unplugged the receiver for a few minutes.
- I plugged receiver back in afterwards and added the receiver back to my account.
- Was working within minutes.

Hopefully that helps someone else at some point;
-bean

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The secondary one in the bedroom with the smart card. That's an external one.

Every receiver has a smart card. Some of them are just built internally into the receiver circuit board.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is there any reason why my 6141 doesn’t display guide data on my OTA channels? It just says digital service. When I hook up the antenna directly to my tv I get guide data. If my tv can do it my 6141 should be able to as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a UPS question.
I have a 6141 in my Living Room as my main entertainment centre.
It uses an external WD 2TB USB hard drive for the PVR feature.

Both the 6141 and hard drive are plugged into an APC UPS

https://www.newegg.ca/apc-be425m-6-...ry-backup-4-surge-outlets-2/p/N82E16842301670

When the power goes out and switches to the UPS, the 6141 tells me that it can't find an external hard drive.

It's almost as it during the very short switchover interval between the mains and UPS, the 6141 gets powered on first and then the external hard drive.
They both seem to happen simultaneously but if the difference is only about 1/10 of a second then I can see why the 6141 would think that there is no
hard drive connected.
Does this make sense and is there any way to fix it?

I usually just unplug the 6141 for a minute and plug it back in and it reboots in about 2-3 minutes and sees the hard drive.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,558 Posts
What else do you have plugged into the Battery side of the UPS? Perhaps this small UPS is being "overloaded"? I assume you have the eHDD plugged into one of the battery outlets, not the surge ones.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have nothing else plugged into the UPS and both units are plugged into the "battery" outlets.
I was a network administrator for 10 years and managed UPSs much much bigger than this one (5-10 kW).

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree jdevlin. The switchover interval is on the order of milliseconds for Offline or Standby UPSes, which is why this is so strange.
Not serious but just a bit of a pain for the 50 seconds or so it takes for my 11kW Generac to kick in.
Can you say "spoiled"?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

I figured I'd contribute to getting this thread over 600 posts...ha!

I have 6141 that I have hooked up through Bell SW44 to 91 and 82. Wasn't having any issues until today when I had the bright idea to test my in-laws SW44 in my own set up to see if it was dead (it was). However, now I am worried that hooking up this broken SW44 has messed up the 6141 in my living room.

Ever since I swapped my own SW44 back in the signal has been flickering. I assumed, wrongly, that it was due to a poor connection on one of the inputs or outputs of the SW44, so I re-terminated the possible offenders. No fix. After thoroughly driving myself around the bend, I walked up to my living room while the signal was disconnected, and noticed that the screen that shows when it is scanning for signal is flickering in the exact same way! Given that it wasn't even connected to the SW44 at that point, it must be something to do with the receiver. I confirmed that other receivers in my house are working flawlessly.

I did a hard reset on the receiver, and it has improved a little, but still flickering to a black screen once or twice a minute. Based on my troubleshooting I am worried that hooking up the broken SW44 caused some sort of power surge or something that affected my receiver. Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas?

Thanks
Terry

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
It's quite possible. Bell receivers use voltage levels to switch transponders. If that circuitry in the receiver becomes damaged by a short or overload it can damage the receiver. The usual symptom is loss of half the transponders and the channels on them. It's possible that the receiver circuitry has become intermittent. I would try switching the problem receiver with one in another location to verify that it is the receiver and not something else.

581 - 600 of 600 Posts