Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Got mine from FS today, did anyone else buy one on sale at FS? It says online the dish is not included but they gave me a complete system. :confused: I guess I can just sell the extra dish/lnb's/switch, how much do those go for?

As for the 6141 it seems to work fine through HDMI, (very nice that bell includes HDMI, DVI adapter, AND component cables in the box BTW), incredible picture upgrading from svideo on the 5800 I had previously on the upstairs TV! No problems yet with channel changes ect. (I did do a update when installing though.)

A few questions... anyone know if flash drives will work as a HD when the time comes? I know not much HD would fit but for SD a 8GB stick could get you buy in a pinch, (how much SD is 8gb?). Also on the signal strength screen you can choose from 91, 82, and 119 satellites... what is this 119?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Also on the signal strength screen you can choose from 91, 82, and 119 satellites... what is this 119?
Run a check switch. The 119 satellite is a dishnetwork satellite. Once you run a check switch and the software is downloaded, this option should go away. If you have already run a check switch, do one again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I picked up a 6141 on sale from FutureShop to replace an ancient 6000. It was the full system with dish etc.; as others have mentioned, BEv seems to prefer to ship the full system package rather than just the receiver. Maybe too many people were buying the wrong package and ending up without a dish?

As for the channel changes with DPP gear... it sucks for me too. I'll see if it's any better today after having been left in standby mode all night and therefore able to get any updates / guide data / etc. at 3AM.

When I hooked it up and was playing with it yesterday evening, I timed SD channel changes and it was taking 25 seconds plus or minus a second! At first I thought the receiver had rebooted 'cause the screen was black for so long. HD channel changes are relatively speedy though: a couple of seconds, which is on par with my 9200.

I'll experiment some more, but I'm wondering if the DPP channel changing issue has more to do with channels on Nimiq-91 (slow) and Nimiq-82 (fast) than HD/SD. There are some SD channels on Nimiq-82 that I can time which should tell me something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the 6141 on sale from FS last week.

The channel changes with the receiver, generally take less than 5 seconds. The audio kicks in first and then the picture during channel changes, like others have said. The one thing I notice is that the video and audio seem slightly out of sync some of the time. Anyone else noticing this?

I have not tried any other connectors besides the HDMI connector. But I wonder if the DVI to HDMI converter contributes to this problem. I'm probably going to buy a straight HDMI cable and use the HDMI to DVI cable for my pc.

·
Registered
462 Posts
bontux: are you using legacy (normal Bell issue) LNBs and switches or DishPro/DishProPlus?

As to the sync, you're not alone: I've noticed that the audio sync is worse than with my old 6000 reciever. This morning it was OK on TSH-HD but pretty bad on SNET-HD.

To update my previous post regarding slow channel changes with DPP gear, I played around a little bit more and couldn't correlate the delay with one satellite or another. A reboot of the unit seemed to speed it up for a little while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since I was the first to post on the 17th, as a 6141 owner, I would like to report back my experiences so far. The guide is great, I like the options for the guide. I like the fact it can go at least 3 days or so. If i'm really bored I'll see how far it goes. I am using HDMI out to my Sammy LCD. So far the pic quality is pretty good. Well it is HD.!! I find the channel changing is slow. It is even slower on the SD channels, but not by much. The HD channels takes about 3 seconds when changing channels for video to show. Usually audio comes first. I noticed last night during Superbowl that changing from CTV 'cast or Fox to another channel and then back to Superbowl, there would be no video. If I chaged the channel up or down a few HD chnls, there would be video, if I went back to the Superbowl/CTV or Fox(simsub), there would be no video, just audio. BTW, that simsub of the Superbowl was the worst. It was so [email protected]!#[email protected] annoying watching those stupid CTV commercials,arrrrrrhhhh. Anyway, I would have to power off/on rcvr to reaquire video. This I found annoying at the least. I experienced this a few times but it seems to come and go? I am using standard legacy LNB's via a sw44. I wonder of this may be the problem. I have found that the HD pic quality varies from amazing to great on differnet networks. To prove this I was watching Bush's speech last week, flipping from network to netwrok, all carrying the broadcast in HD, and ABC's hd was by far the most superior.
I am outputting to my HDMI 1080i. Although my panel is a 768/720p panel, I find 1080i more pleasing to the eye than 720p setting, although 720p setting is better for watching hockey( less motion blur). The techies can answer the question as to why??
I do find the 6141 out is quite bright, and I have to tone down the brightness on my LCD.
Oh and I forgot, I do notice once in ahile, audio sync issues. I see it most on CBCHD than any other channel. It eventual syncs itself up, but sometimes it is quite noticeable.

I dont buy a word the CSR's are telling some members about the reason for audio sync issues or video issues, is the unsupprtded hdmi. Give me a break. This is a 3rd gen box from dish, I would think they got the HDMI thing resolved by now. So far I am liking berry berry much!!!
I hope the next sw rev can resolve the sync/ video issues and maybe bring in the option for USB hdd to record. Now that would be a great addition.

·
I could be wrong but I do not believe any other DTH Company is using the 6141 Hardware...I believe it is still unique to ExpressVu.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the excellent review of your 6141 Jonnycdn.

I have a 6141 and am experiencing exactly the same issue as you have described.

Try using only a component video cable for a while. It seems to clear up the no video when changing channels for me. But I went back to the HDMI cable because the picture seemed to have better PQ.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just got my 6141 yesterday. Experiencing the same video loss when you switch HD channels as most of you are. Using the HDMI cable straight out of the box with the reciever. Seems if i just power off and on video works instantly so not sure if i'll bother to switch to another format or not.

Anybody else having issues with channel population tho? i've called them 4 times because TSN HD and Sportsnet HD both are showing in red. Still waiting for them to populate after more then 24 hours.

Tech also stated that V160 of the software was not the current version but wouldn't send down an update on his end until all of my channels were populated property. Plug'd in to the phone line and did the call out update but still showing V160 after that so not sure if he knew what he was talking about or not.

·
Registered
510 Posts
TSN HD and Sportsnet HD both are showing in red.
These channels, for whatever reason, have to be added by the CSR when activating your system. They forget to do this a lot. Call back and ask them to check to see if they have added these channels to your subscription (does not cost extra, but shows up as an extra line on the bill ???). Then ask them to re-hit your receiver. It should only take a few minutes for them to show up.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Regarding the TSN + SN HD.... you can also go into your bell.ca website account and somewhere in there is a option to "synchronize programming". That took care of the problem for me, (After adding the sports 1 through the website the two HD channels remained red).

All channels added successfully in 10 minutes, not a single minute talking to a clueless customer service rep! Thank you internet!

Does anyone know what the Ethernet port is used/going to be used for? I pluged it in to my network, (to no effect), but there are no options in the user menu regarding networking.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks, i'll check out the internet option first and then call them again when i get home. Will ask them again about the software update. Although everybody i've talked to doesn't seem overly interested in doing anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got my 6141 yesterday. Experiencing the same video loss when you switch HD channels as most of you are. Using the HDMI cable straight out of the box with the reciever. Seems if i just power off and on video works instantly so not sure if i'll bother to switch to another format or not.

Anybody else having issues with channel population tho? i've called them 4 times because TSN HD and Sportsnet HD both are showing in red. Still waiting for them to populate after more then 24 hours.

Tech also stated that V160 of the software was not the current version but wouldn't send down an update on his end until all of my channels were populated property. Plug'd in to the phone line and did the call out update but still showing V160 after that so not sure if he knew what he was talking about or not.
I am curious about what the Tech said about the latest software version.
I have had my 6141 since Jan. 26 and it still has V160.
Did he say what the latest version number was?

·
Registered
235 Posts
He didn't say what it was. I'm not sure that he actually knew what he was talking about because he spent more time trying to sell me on Super Channel then actually trying to fix the issue i had. I'm guessing he was trying to get me off of the phone after he did the channel refresh and hoped i'd call back and get somebody else who actually knew how to fix the problem by giving me a reason to call back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
List of 6141 Receiver Problems

Hi. New member, first post.

I began reading your fantastic forum as a result of having problems with my newly purchased 6141 receiver (3 weeks ago).

Problems listed in order from least to most annoying.

1.Slow Channel Changes.
These on my receiver seem to take anywhere from 2-4 seconds. I only mention this because other people seem to be annoyed by this. It doesn't really bother me since I just assume that this is standard operating procedure for satellite television.

2.Audio Sync.
This seems to vary from slightly out of sync to so far out of sync that peoples lips have actually stopped moving before you hear any sound. It has been my experience that this issue is sporadic and not confined to any particular channels or programming. This issue usually seems to rectify itself after a sometimes short, sometimes long, sometimes not till the next show time interval.
Clarification: While I am sure this problem is prevalent on the HD channels I am not certain it also occurs on the SD channels. Since HD is new to me I haven't been watching much SD lately.

3.Black Screen With Audio Only (BSAO)
This seems to stem only around channel 818 HDFoxEast. When scrolling through the channels one at a time I always get BSAO when I reach 818. From here changing to 817 or 819 will also result in BSOA. As long as I keep scrolling through these three channels one at a time the screen will stay BSAO. Jumping to any other channel will result in the return of a normal picture and jumping from any other station (out of numerical sequence) to 818 will also result in a normal picture. This problem is extremely perplexing.

4.Audio Dropouts.
This one is extremely annoying because it makes programs unwatchable. This manifests itself as <1second intervals of lost audio (audio hiccups) which seem to occur sporadically but all too frequently. When occurring, these hiccups are heard at completely random intervals (2-30 seconds apart?). These audio hiccups seem to be confined to HD channels since I have compared programs running at the same time in HD and SD and the problem is only occurring on the HD channel. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I haven't noticed it anywhere else in this thread.

5.BEV CSR's.
FRUSTRATING!! Enough said since this is probably a topic for another thread.

Further Information
As a direct result of my complaints to BEV tech support about the BSAO problem, they sent me a replacement 6141 which I received and hooked up yesterday. Just to let you know the new receiver has all the same problems #1-5.
I can tell you this is definitely not an HDMI issue. I have done extensive troubleshooting to try to isolate these problems. I have changed all my connections (between 6141 receiver, Onkyo SR-605 A/V Receiver and Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector) from all HDMI to all component and every combination in between. I have also taken my A/V receiver out of the loop by connecting 6141 directly to projector and all these problems persist throughout all troubleshooting combinations.

I was extremely happy to find this thread to discover other people are experiencing the same issues. Since all my equipment is new I wasn't at first certain that one of my other components might not be responsible for some of these problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Length of guide?

I have had my 6141 for a few wks now and am quite happy with it, albeit the odd audio-sync issue and varying speed of channel changing. One question though for you fellow owners...how long of a guide are you experiencing? I just checked mine again, and am not getting more than 44 hours. That sucks! On my 5900 and 9200 receivers, I am getting almost 9 days. I am sure I read somewhere in the forums that the guide for the 6141 was 9 days?

·
Registered
510 Posts
On my 5900 and 9200 receivers, I am getting almost 9 days. I am sure I read somewhere in the forums that the guide for the 6141 was 9 days?
You are getting the 9 day guide on those receivers because of the hard drive. When BEV activates the USB port to allow the addition of a hard drive to the 6141, you should be able to get a 9 day guide as well (if you add on an external hard drive).

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are getting the 9 day guide on those receivers because of the hard drive. When BEV activates the USB port to allow the addition of a hard drive to the 6141, you should be able to get a 9 day guide as well (if you add on an external hard drive).
That might explain it...tks!

21 - 40 of 600 Posts