Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 600 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 6141 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more about the ExpressVu 6141 you can discuss it PVR here.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
From Discussion thread.

• Electronic Program Guide (EPG) with a look and feel based on the model 9242 and “extended” mode allowing for 3 hours of viewing of content and easy to use.
  • Faster access to favourite programs with Enhanced EPG. Up to 3 hours and up to 9 channels of programs per screen through extended EPG options.
  • Advanced single tuner MPEG-2/4
  • Addition of an “All HD” favourites listing.
  • A significantly superior HD experience (all HD favourites),
  • TV outputs are HD and SD based (HD-component/HDMI SD-RCA,S-video)
  • HDMI Digital A/V output for superior Audio/Video connection.
  • The ability to add local digital channels (off-air tuner)
  • HD logo in EPG for HD channels
  • Ethernet Broadband port/USB 2.0 port for future use
  • Incremental primary memory and flash memory to allow for future application development
  • Smaller, streamlined black chassis.
  • price appears to be $299

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just picked one up at a Bell World in the west end of T.O. $245.00 Superbowl special. Activated and watching.
I have seen OTA HD and Rogers HD and now I see what you'll are complaining about with BEV HD, (Compression). Regardless, off topic.

Pretty straight forward rcvr. Still messing around with it. So far I dont see any menu setting for setting up a external USB hdd.

I like the function to stretch HD modes and SD modes for non HD broadcasts.

I do notice some noise on HD stations. It's not pixilated noise, can't really explain it.

Pretty happy with it so far.

Anyways forward. Who's next!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello All,
I just got my 6141 yesterday. So far so good. Quick question though, when I go to signal strength on sat 82 I am only getting signal strength in the high 80's. The installer told me it was because the 6141 shows a lower read then the 4100's . Is this true or should I call back for someone to come back and take a look @ it. I just want to make sure I am using this receiver at its full potential. Any feedback / help is appreciated. Cheers:)

·
High 80's is good for 82 degree's, not the best but way better than most and more than enough for great reception.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the feedback nimiq one. One more question, I only have 2 receivers in the house and one dish mounted with a dual LNB. The installer installed to splitters to the back of my dish so each LNB gets 82 and 91. shouldn't he have installed sw144 inside my house instead?ie pointed the dish so one LNB gets 91 and the other gets 82 and then rely on sw144 for the splitiing? Just wondering if this is a text book install? thanks in advance:)

·
Think you will find that your LNB's are indeed pointing at 91 & 82 and that you have 2 x SW21's at the rear of the Dish, which is correct for a 2 receiver Upgrade.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just got mine today. It's quite a bit smaller than the 6100 series......roughly half as tall and a 2-3" narrower. I like the newer program guide much more than the one in the 6100 series. So far I like it except one beef.........the HDTV logo actually lights up when the unit is powered on and it's bright blue. It's impossible not to notice it if you have your receiver in your line of site and your room is even remotely dim. I haven't looked hard but I see no way to shut it off in the options menus. Looks like I'll be doing the strip of black tape to cover it up

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks again for the confirmation. I tried to attach a external hard drive just for kicks. As expected no response. Guess one day we will receive a firmware update, hopefully sooner then later. The promising thing is the remote has pvr buttons.. just a thought :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello All,
I just got my 6141 yesterday. So far so good. Quick question though, when I go to signal strength on sat 82 I am only getting signal strength in the high 80's. The installer told me it was because the 6141 shows a lower read then the 4100's . Is this true or should I call back for someone to come back and take a look @ it. I just want to make sure I am using this receiver at its full potential. Any feedback / help is appreciated. Cheers:)
I wouldn't worry about getting high 80's on 82. That's very good. On my 6100 and now 6141 when I set to transponder 11 I'll typically always see 90+ on 91 and usually 75-77 on 82 which is typical of what most people seem to see depending on where they live. That's as high as I can get it no matter how much the dish is tweaked. Interestingly though if I switch to transponder 09 I'll get close to identical signal strength between 91 and 82.....almost always in the 90's for both.

It's worth noting that a maxed out signal syrength doesn't equal a better picture....it just means you have less chance of signal wash out during bad weather.

The promising thing is the remote has pvr buttons.. just a thought
Doesn't mean much....Bell uses the same remote for virtually all of their receivers. The remote for my 6100 was identical to the 6141's and they never had or planned to add PVR functions to that. I'm looking forward to the firmware update though whenever that may be.....that's a great feature to offer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's odd....I didn't notice any change in the PQ at all when I went from my 6100 to the 6141.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm set at 1080i. I see alot more background noise and blacks have slight blueish tint. Could be the cheap HDMI cable they give or I will try the other HDMI input on my Bravia.

Update: The second input on my TV seems to be the culprit. False alarm for 6141 owners:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just picked up a 6141 at FS today. It is replacing my 6100 so hookup was easy and Bev had me activated rate away. So far I like what I see, nice guide, picture quality is better on both HD and SD.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of posts deleted.

This thread is for the discussion of the 6141 Receiver by owners. As noted at the top "Install questions go in the ExpressVu installation forum."

Any future posts not discussing the receiver by owners will be deleted and infractions issued.

·
Registered
55 Posts
6141 Problems

Just got off the phone with Bev Tech. support. I was asking about the slow channel changing on my new 6141.

Tech. said to reset the receiver and cause a guide download to fix the problem.

I also asked why at times after changing channels I would get a black screen with audio only.

Tech. said the reason was that the software running in the 9242 and the 6141 was not compatable with the HDMI port.
To fix the problem he said I would have to use my component out instead of HDMI.

He also said they were working on a fix but he had no idea when a software download would be available.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tech. said the reason was that the software running in the 9242 and the 6141 was not compatable with the HDMI port.
To fix the problem he said I would have to use my component out instead of HDMI.

He also said they were working on a fix but he had no idea when a software download would be available.
I don't buy that one. I have my 6141 hooked up with component cables and experienced the same problem (although it only happened once).

1 - 20 of 600 Posts