Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell TV 2012 New Channels discussion

297K views 902 replies 132 participants last post by  rogue17 
#1 ·
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Bell TV in 2012 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Bell TV has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces Bell TV (ExpressVu) 2011 New Channels Discussion

#6 ·
SpeedHD still MIA!

The Supercross season starts this coming weekend, and Bell still hasn't offered SpeedHD, despite many requests from me and many other subscribers.

Supercross audiences have grown more than almost any other televised sports, so this seems quite shortsighted on Bell's part.

Then again, this is Bell we're talking about, so why am I surprised that they don't seem to have a clue?

:eek:

#7 ·
As discussed thousands of times already, Bell is in a bandwidth bind right now. You can't expect them to add HD channels that frankly a very small minority will watch. To clarify, I'm a HUGE F1 nut, enjoy watching NASCAR and follow the other series -- I am exactly who would watch SpeedHD a lot, should Bell add it -- BUT, it's going to be at the bottom of their list, especially when you consider they have to add almost 40 locals and countless other premium channels (NFL, NHL, MLB, Comedy, TeleToon, MTV, etc. etc.) which are already available or will be and that have significantly larger draws.

You also have to look at some of the unknowns, such as cost. SpeedHD may cost bell a lot more to carry then OWNHD, for example.

Yep, some might hate on OWN but I have to admit I've watched the channel more then once... Behind the scenes stuff always interests me, ok? :)

This thread is for discussion of CURRENT CHANNELS or channels which have been confirmed announced as coming to Bell, not your place to wish and complain about missing channels.

#9 ·
As discussed thousands of times already, Bell is in a bandwidth bind right now.
Thousands of times, eh? Funny....this is the first time I've heard of it. Guess I don't read the same stuff you do.

You can't expect them to add HD channels that frankly a very small minority will watch. To clarify, I'm a HUGE F1 nut, enjoy watching NASCAR and follow the other series -- I am exactly who would watch SpeedHD a lot, should Bell add it -- BUT, it's going to be at the bottom of their list, especially when you consider they have to add almost 40 locals and countless other premium channels (NFL, NHL, MLB, Comedy, TeleToon, MTV, etc. etc.) which are already available or will be and that have significantly larger draws.
That is EXACTLY what I expect.

I think SpeedHD, being devoted to racing, will attract a large viewership. As mentioned, Supercross viewing expanded more than almost anything else last year. That's a big crowd. The Toronto Supercross race in March sells out every year...and that is a lot of folks filling the Skydome! You even admit that you would be a watcher of SpeedHD yourself. So I guess that makes my point, eh? :)

The Supercross and other racing on SpeedHD would out-draw the Winnipeg Jets, IMO. But I have the Jets and no SpeedHD. Don't think your logic holds.

You also have to look at some of the unknowns, such as cost. SpeedHD may cost bell a lot more to carry then OWNHD, for example.
I look at cost...how much I pay Bell for satellite TV service on a monthly basis. Don't care about Bell's cost....Shaw cable seems to be able to afford it and they are much smaller than Bell, last I looked. For what I pay them, I expect to see SpeedHD on their satellite.

This thread is for discussion of CURRENT CHANNELS or channels which have been confirmed announced as coming to Bell, not your place to wish and complain about missing channels.
Sure it is. Based on the first post in this thread, which reads:

....thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Bell TV in 2012 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.
I interpret this as meaning that speculation (and I include whining about long standing missing channels in "speculation" :D ) on new channels, like SpeedHD, is appropriate here.

Hey....maybe some wonk at Bell reads this forum and will finally grant my my long-standing request. And then you can watch racing in HD as well. You're welcome, in advance. :D

#12 ·
Go look at lyngsat, read the 2011 new channels discussion and the 2010 new channels discussion and just about any thread on this site talking about sat82, the 40 new HD locals they need to add, mpeg4 and you'll see that they're in a bandwidth bind. They have the HD quality killed on every HD channel that doesn't matter (read: sells subs), stacking 3-6 HD channels per transponder. Then have a few transponders with important channels on them (read: important = sports) and only 2-3 channels on those trns to maintain higher quality picture on the important channels, as those are the ones that sell subscriptions for HD tvs.

And yes, unlike supercross, the amount of available bandwidth on bell has been mentioned a lot and frankly, it's been the major topic of discussion for just about the past 2 years.

If you want to be pedantic about the "thousands of times" then I'll be picky about your definition of "speculation" which does not -- in any dictionary -- include "whining" under the definition.

Also, jdevlin
SpeedHD would be good for racing except that they blackout all the F1 races in Canada.
Speed shows the practice sessions live and has better pre-post race coverage then TSN. Maybe TSN will pick up some of that this year with Sky taking over the English coverage but I doubt it.

#13 ·
The one channel I would like to see is NFL-N in HD. My kids would like the Toon Network in HD.

As far as Bell being in a bind due to bandwidth that was the case last year but I don't know how much of a problem they will have later this year when all HD goes to MPEG 4.

I do like reading the speculation of new channels coming or what is out there. If all we talked about were the actual new channels added it would be awful quiet for long stretches.

#16 ·
It's amazing that you want all these HD locals from time zones that already exist. Yet you skip over any HD local in Saskatchewan, and from March - October all shows air an hour later then the Eastern feed in Saskatchewan making it a third option for time shifting. The only HD locals that Bell should add are CBC Winnipeg HD and Global Saskatoon HD. The rest aren't required.

#17 ·
I am not going to come on all of the time & ask if anyone knows if any new channels are coming soon .U all will post them when u get them just like last year keep up the good work. I know it is hard to keep track of all new channels all at once. Ty again for keeping us updated & ty u monitors for trying to keep this on the right topic.

#19 ·
Well there's those new Hollywood HD Channels 1270-1273.

The only thing that could be next is FX Canada, it's currently on Telus, Eastlink & Rogers.
You would assume it will be available before the end of 2012, but this all depends on the carriage fee, and FX Canada is probably owned by Rogers, so this channel may not happen on Bell in 2012.

#21 ·
Well that's news to F/X Canada as they state Telus has it on channel 188, and Telus states that the HD version will be available by the end of the month. While Telus gets most of their feeds from Bell, they do pick up channels on their own as well. Another example is Movie Central 2 HD. It's channel 633 on Telus but not available on Bell.

#28 ·
The Hollywood Suite

Does anyone know how much "The Hollywood Suite" will cost once the free preview is over on Bell?

I've looked at their site and they tell you to call...which I'm trying to avoid.

I've actually been impressed with the amount of decent HD films on these channels.

At this point, I'm hoping they keep all 4 channels in one HD-Theme Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.