Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 947 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2010.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Bell TV in 2010 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Bell TV has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces Bell TV (ExpressVu) 2009 New Channels Discussion

·
Registered
556 Posts
LCN HD (Le Canal Nouvelles) was in testing on and off at channel 1854...

That should be in the lineup soon.

It appeared in the Bell online TV guide for a while but was quickly removed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
how about CTV HD...in montreal

I would like to know if i am ever going to be able to watch CTV news montreal in high def. Whats taking them so long????? For me, i can't stand watching standard def tv anymore , and to be forced to watch channel 205 for my local news sucks..While i am at it, what about NFL network HD? Man, if i had those two channels in HD i would be in heaven. Can someone give me a heads up on when if ever these channels will be added to the grid? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
33 Posts
With Bell giving up its pre-reserved space on the latest DISH Network sat and deciding instead to wait till NIMIQ 6 in 2012....how do they plan to add more and more HD without quality (whats left of it) going thru the floor ???

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
MPEG4. It's been discussed a lot here.

-Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really wouldn't be surprised if they added Le Canal Nouvelles/CTV News Channel HD next. That'll push more viewers into watching another Bell Globemedia owned channel. Of course, nevermind the fact that CBC Newsworld HD has been out for a very long time now, also nevermind the fact that publicly owned channels are generally cheaper to carry than privately owned channels. (but who knows in this case)

Staying on the topic of new news channels, I speculate we are getting very close to finally getting Al Jazeera English HD. It's been rumored in multiple articles that AlJaz has reached agreements with all major distributors following its CRTC approval and expected to be up this month or the next. I'm getting tired of having to watch this on my iPhone and laptop, but that's the length one has to go to have an alternative to viewing our Canadian turn on the news...aka the "Happy News"! No offense CBC.

Finally, Bell needs to work on the HD Premium Movies for the West. I don't know who can justify having only ONE HD Movie Channel (MCHD) specifically for the West vs. FOUR HD movie channels (TMNHD, MExcessHD, MFunHD, MPixHD) specifically for the East. Not to mention the TMN Online feature, specifically for the East as well. The SuperChannels and HBO-Canada don't count as they are equally available to both sides of the country.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree 100% with john81 about the HD movie channel situation. To be fair, I think that Movie Central has only one HD channel (they gave up the second one for HBO, almost a waste, in my opinion) so there just ain't as many options for us in the west. There is Encore Avenue HD though, available for over a year on some systems, but not at Bell

I'd like to see Encore HD added to the lineup, just because I think it seems the right thing to do. I imagine there would be a few irate easteners upset that there is wasted bandwidth degrading general picture quality on a channel they can't even get if that happened.

But maybe this is off topic, since it's the new channel discussion, not the the dreams only come true in fairy tales discussion

·
Registered
33 Posts
My post about quality and NIMIQ6 was a "rhetorical" one...not an actual question. I have to believe that lack of space will affect the "new channel" discussions at VU.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really wouldn't be surprised if they added Le Canal Nouvelles/CTV News Channel HD next. That'll push more viewers into watching another Bell Globemedia owned channel
In fact john81 LCN is the property of their competitor Videotron.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Where can we find an updated list of all the Channels including the move of the HD channels to 1000???

The list on Bell website is from August 2009!

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bell A La Carte

Anyone know whether Bell will wise up and offer your choice of channels "a la carte" in the near future ? I would switch tomorrow if it were available; I will not pay for bundles where I'm forced to pay for channels in which i have absolutely no interest.

Bell doesn't realize how many clients would switch if they made that small change - talk about Marketing savey.....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Anyone know whether Bell will wise up and offer your choice of channels "a la carte" in the near future ? I would switch tomorrow if it were available; I will not pay for bundles where I'm forced to pay for channels in which i have absolutely no interest.

Bell doesn't realize how many clients would switch if they made that small change - talk about Marketing savey.....
It is not up to Bell but CRTC

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
HD channels

Regarding the HD channels... did they finish the move...or it is still going on?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 947 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.