Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the new Bell Turbo Stick. Works fine. But when I checked the ports I need to do some gaming I find they are closed. Can't figure out what's going on. Bell refuses to help.

Does anyone know how this works?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
This is a very common issue with the wireless Internet sticks. It seems the providers tend to limit you to tasks that won't stress the network (some have even gone so far as to block streaming services like Shoutcast radio stations).

You may want to have a look through the first few pages of this thread for more info:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=115919

What I'd suggest is to contact Data Support at 1-877-328-2123 (1-877-DATA-123) and inquire about setting up a Public IP address (it may cost $5 extra per month if info from that thread is still current).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

So by the sounds of it Bell has it locked down on there end? And there isn't any router in the Turbo Stick???

Mike

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
setting up a Public IP address
Does Bell use RFC1918 addresses for HSPA? Rogers doesn't. My smart phone has a public IP address. It's easy enough to check the IP address with the ipconfig command in Windows.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Looks like they aren't using public IPs even on their smartphones. I just tried running "adb shell netcfg" from the Android SDK, and it showed my phone's IP address in the 10.x.x.x range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts