Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
The location ID has nothing to do with the physical location of the receiver. It's a hash of the receiver unique information (receiver number, card number, etc) and the current time. They use it to verify that all your receivers are under the same roof, they may call you and ask you those numbers. If you can't provide them they will disconnect the receiver.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Exactly right. It is generated/changed at will by a Bell TV CSR to verify that you are reading the current Location ID, as it can be changed at will.

As you now have multiple Receivers, you can expect the call from time to time to ensure all receivers are at your location and that you are not Account Splitting.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
OH I'm quite aware of calls from BTV., Although before when I had BTV May 1999 to Dec 2007 I had 3 calls in that time span. Grant you at first had 8 receivers(this was proir to the limit 6), then I had only 6.

I have no issue with BTV calling to check, all the receivers are pluggged in and I just tell them the ID numbers.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If they are all connected to the same phone line (same number), you won't get the calls.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I would never 'assume' anything ScaryBob.......lol

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
You would think so.
But in the previous time I had BTV they called all receivers where plugged into te same phone line. But I like I said no problem, just tell the ID numbers and your done ith it.

I'd rather have them call me to ask, then having to wait to get through to them if they disconect your programing, to get reprogramed aain.

Have had BTV for about 20 days now still no calls, if they call they call no biggie.

·
Registered
260 Posts
@PINZA

Is that new, as up to last year it was a logarithm that changed every ten 10 mintues based on the time and smart card /receiver numbers. Bell CSR's had no way of changing it.

A few years back it changed on the hour and there was a program called LIDcalc you could download off the net that could generate your location ID in case Bell called, and it worked. Around the time of the N3 card swap bell changed the logarithmic formula in the firmware and this no longer works.

People were always told Bell could change the ID remotely but unless they change your receivers time zone settings while they are on the phone with you this is not possible.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
All I can tell you is that one one occasion I recorded the Location ID on one of my Receivers as I went to get details off a more distant one and when I gave the CSR both #'s she asked me to check the number again. When I checked it the second time, only 2 or 3 minutes later, it was different.

How that was achieved, I surmised was down to them having the ability to do this remotely.

Sadly this is not a subject I like to bring up when I sit down with Bell for obvious reasons.

But lets face it, with modern technology, cell phones, etc, getting a Location ID from a receiver at the other end of Canada is as simple as sending a text.... Surely Bell realize this....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 6141 with a broken jack (I think theres a short circuit) so I can't hook it up to the phone line. I've never had a call from Bell however.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts