Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Could it be that the nice stack of 4 x 6131's on the work surface, at the side of the sink is going to migrate to 3 other Trailers as soon as the Tech leaves.? Who knows for sure, but I can guess.
If the Trailer Park Boys are smart enough they'll string the same phone line to all trailers and all 4 receivers, where every they may be moved to, in the same park, will all look to bell as still being in the same Trailer.

I kind of don't blame people in a low income situation from doing this... I pay over $80 a month for Bell... I think it's too much for what I'm getting.. that could be $20 if you split it like Bubbles and Julian do hehheh!

[

OK this is only my opinion I do not condone theft of services!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
99% of Technicians are Subcontractors and ONLY get paid if they carry out the installation. If 75% of all possible installations do not have a phone line close by that can be used then the Tech is going to be working for nothing.

Then consider that Bell will loose 75% of any new work and I am sure they would soon be out of business, or better yet, modify the TOS, which would be more sensible.

I know I say 75% but as more and more people are going to Cell Phones I can actually imagine that number could be even higher.
Look communicatons had (are they still in buisness?) the same policy. When technicians came to install the service they were installing, at the same time, a telephone jack on the wall behind the television so that receiver culd be hooked to a telephone line. Sad thing is, when I disconnected their service when they came to get their receiers they cut, at the same time, the cables inside the telephone jacks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can cancelled my Bell service 2 years ago when they tried to verify my receivers locations for the second time in 6 months. Its utter BS that a company can annoy people at home and waste 20 minutes of my time for information they have at their end already. I just wanted to be left alone in peace to enjoy tv but no bell had to accuse me of being a thief.

Oh well they lost in the end because of this I cancelled every service with them from my satellite, to internet, telephone and cell phone. By the way I will never go back to those dummies ever again. Hope they go bankrupt.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
LOOK TV is no more Ex Agent, the assets were bought by Rogers & Bell.

As has already been stated in this thread, the Receiver Verification Dept is just doing a job they have to do thanks to the CRTC.

I am sure that Bell do not miss you and now can call 2 other Customers every 6 months instead of wasting their time calling you....

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I can cancelled my Bell service 2 years ago when they tried to verify my receivers locations for the second time in 6 months. Its utter BS that a company can annoy people at home and waste 20 minutes of my time for information they have at their end already. I just wanted to be left alone in peace to enjoy tv but no bell had to accuse me of being a thief.
With the increasing number of people only having wireless line (therefore having receivers not dialling out) i'm surprised to see clients being called twice the same year by SAT

When they called you originally had some receiver "failed" the test?
Did you had frequent red guide issue?
Has anybody called saying they are at the cottage (cabin, in the RV, on the boat)?

If any of these factors happened, it is therefore only normal that they kept an eye on you...all these factors possibly meanning that receivers are not all located at the service adress

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
What is a "red guide" issue?
When you unplug a receiver (to bring it to a cottage for example) the receiver often loose memory of the channel you suscribe too...they are showing in red when you look at the guide, reason why CSR call it red guide issue. If a client often has those issues, which normally doesn't happen when a client has the receiver connected to a TV and leaves it there at all time, it is usually a sign that receivers are brought to cottage, or that the client is account sharing. In case like that it is therefore normal that SAT departement will call to "verify" the receivers more often then to a client where there is no signs he could possibly account sharing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It typically takes more than a few hours for the tiers to expire though. They introduced this with the Nagra2 rollout. Before if you unsubscribed and disconnected your receiver for a few weeks, it would never get its kill signal and the tiers would never expire, which meant you could enjoy free TV for a long while.

I don't understand how useful it would be for Bell to flag an account because of this though. The ones they really want to catch are the account sharers, not the guy who takes his receiver to the cottage for the weekend. Account sharers that do not take their receiver to the cottage will never see a red guide.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ex Agent - somewhat related to this subject....

Does the policy on calling to verify if you have more than 3 receivers include receivers that are still on your account, but are not activated?

In my southern province, I've always kept to one active receiver for this reason. I don't want them calling my registered address in Canada and asking about receiver ID's. (And I pay my - now very large - monthly bill, so I'm generating them extra revenue, not depriving them of any!)

But, unless you sell a receiver, it stays on your account forever, even if not activated. I used only a 2700 for a long time; then switched to a second-hand 5100 with upgraded 120GB drive a few years back. Bad move - I had to get its Conexant chip fixed, and again now its showing signs of dying on me, so I'll be onto my third receiver soon. But the 2700 is still on my account. As the receivers get more features, they last less time, so who knows when I'll be on my 4th. By the time I'm done with them, no-one wants to buy any of my old receivers - they are so obsolete.

Will I be subjected to calls when I get to my third or 4th receiver, if all others are inactive?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No, only "active" receivers will be audited.

They ask for the Location ID # from the System Info Screen, this can only be generated/changed by Bell, on a Receiver hooked up and active on an account.

If you are no longer using the old receivers, and do not intend to, call Bell and tell them you have recycled them. That will take them off your account.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks - I'll keep that in mind.

I'm keeping the 2700. It couldn't do much, but it always showed the TV picture - for close to 10 years. Its a reserve in case whatever DVR receiver I have craps out, and can't be replaced quickly.

But I'll certainly do that when the 5100 is replaced; and whatever its replaced with dies/is replaced.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well i got the call from bell's sat division for the location I D's. So here we go. I could barely understand her (english was not her primary language), got one of five receivers done and while walking thru the house to another one heard me talking to the kid, so yells over the phone and stops the process and says that she's now gonna deactivate the receivers i did not get to yet, there was no way she was gonna let me continue on to the other receivers she was quite hostile about me not staying on the line with her at all times. now i have to wait 24 hours and try this sh!t again...meanwhile the family is mad at me thanks to bell. Warning this is the way bell treats a loyal paying customer since 1998, never late with a payment and near the most expensive packages available. I now type this with a hand full of channels for the next 24 hours feeling quite violated by bell.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I do not think the "Receiver Verification" department work on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is when you call back to give them the info. ask to speak to a supervisor or the retentions department, they may be able to do something for you for your trouble. see http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48593
This is sort of like having to be screened by security at an airport, is not anything you did, but if your units were all plugged into telephone jacks they would keep Bell from calling you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This is about having a phone line plugged in so they can tell if your stealing channels right?When I had Bell in 2001 I never used a phone line & they would call from time to time and ask me to read off some numbers on an info screen as long as the numbers were what they were suppost to be I was fine, never got cut off for not using a phone line before.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yes, if your receivers are hooked up to a phone line or now by the Internet, the receivers send the same information to Bell, as Bell would call and ask you for, thus verifying that they are where you say they are, and saving you from having to talk to Bell.
As previously mentioned in this thread it only happens when there are multiple receivers on account where this may be an issue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well i'm pleased to report that all receivers are back up and running, the csr I dealt with this time was wonderful, very pleasant. The family is not mad at me any more!!!!!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Glad to hear it, did you press them for a Credit for cutting them off.?

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Location ID

I was just watching Pawn Starts while still surfing the net. I hit the menue button twice and saw the location ID. I wanted to see if they where the same on the other receivers. 3 6131 had different Location IDs as well as the 9231. What gives? :confused:

If the receivers are basically hooked up to the same dish in the same house should the Locatioon IDs be the same?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts