Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Most of the time it doesn't make sense to put a TV next to a phone jack. You want the jack next to the sitting area to use a phone, not next to the TV.

If they care so much about the phone line being connected, why do they allow you to order PPV over the phone or internet? If that isn't an implicit acknowledgment from Bell that not all receivers can be connected, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
697 Posts
At the risk of hijacking the thread into the old "can I have a receiver at the cottage" discussion, I suspect the reason Bell makes minimal efforts to actually enforce the contract terms ExAgent highlights is that, deep down, they don't WANT to enforce the contract terms. The only reason Bell makes ANY effort to enforce the terms is, purely and simply, to be able to demonstrate to the CRTC that they are. And the only reason the CRTC cares if Bell makes any effort is because the cablecos scream bloody murder about the competitive advantage sat technology gives to the satcos.

I think the real issue isn't a subscriber taking a receiver out to the cottage - I suspect Bell secretly hopes subscribers do this, because it undoubtedly leads to new subscribers, i.e. the "neighbours at the cottage" that come over to watch the game on your HD TV and call Bell as soon as they're back in the city to sign up for their own account. Rather, the real issue is account splitting and accounting splitting is far more effectively addressed via limitations on the number of receivers per account, not on unwieldy and impossible to enforce terms requiring STBs to be plugged into phone lines and phone calls to Bell to take receivers offline every time you spend a weekend at the cabin.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That is very true taxwit, I will be at a Cottage this weekend and I know I will have a full house for the F1 Race on Sunday morning......

On the subject of connecting to phone lines etc, I seem to recall that Dish were or did buy a spectrum of frequencies that could be used by the receivers to take to the Mothership, so to speak. I wonder if that ever happened.

I wonder if it will be like some of the Utility Co's and a Dish Vehicle will drive down the streets, downloading info from receivers...Hmmmm Velly Interesting.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
As interesting as it sounds, with the low population density in Canada, combined to the fact that all their subscribers would require a hardware upgrade, I doubt they would invest tens if not hundreds of millions on a system that can be beaten by 20 cents worth of tinfoil...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the max amount of receivers in my house and only two are plugged in to the tel line.

I've been a long time customers (no contracts) and in no time have I ever been contacted to verify the location of my receivers. As others have stated, when the receivers were sold to me (and the initial install) did they ever mention the units had to be hooked to a phone line or be verified if they felt like calling me up.

If they did call to verify I would say the same, either stop bugging me or else I cancel and will go elsewhere.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Read the terms of service:

http://support.bell.ca/Documents/TV/Other/sub_agreement(en).pdf

It CLEARLY states in both places (slightly different wording)

Phone connection required

Receiver units must be directly and continuously connected to an operating telephone line in Canada as a condition of service. Service may be disconnected in cases where receiver is not connected.
Have I ever had any problems with NOT connecting my receivers? Nope. Did they call me? Yep. Most of the time I was not home so they left a message. I never called them back, and they never cut me off. BUT THEY CAN. It says so in the TOS.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting read didn't realize the TOS stated you HAD to connect them.

Considering I am moving to the country and have no phone line, that would be if I were to abide by the TOS I would not be able to use Bell Sat. Yeah I'm sure they would rather not take my money.

Or perhaps they will give me a free landline in order to use their service. :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
The TOS says "service MAY be disconnected..." - there's the wiggle room for Bell to look the other way concerning this requirement. Furthermore, when I originally subscribed to Bell, I told the official Bell installer I wanted the receiver installed in a room that had no phone lines and I had no intentions of every connecting any Bell receiver to a phone line, whether I could or couldn't. He said "no problem", did the installation, phoned it in to Bell and, voila, I had my account. I therefore am of the view I am not bound by that particular TOS and if Bell ever tried to enforce it, I'd save them the trouble and cancel my account.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
To the very best of my knowledge, Bell have NEVER enforced that part of the TOS.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lets not make something out of nothing. You are supposed to hook your receivers up to phone line if not they can call you and you go around to verify them and that is IF they call you which probably won't ever happen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Here we go again.

"If they ever call up to ask about my receivers, I'll cancel my account."

Verification is done to enforce CRTC rules. It's part of the terms of service, and if you don't read it, that's your own fault. Just like the terms of service nobody ever reads (but accepts anyway) when they install new software on their computers. You didn't read that? How do you know what you agreed to, then?

Will they disable a receiver based solely on the fact that you don't have it connected to a phone line? No. But they may do it if they can't verify the location of the receiver.

Sure, it seems heavy-handed, but there are people out there who split accounts and steal signal. There are private companies duplicating smart card numbers and selling illegal signal to US citizens, and representing themselves as legitimate. There are people who think it's okay to give their child a receiver to use in a different location.

These things cost Bell TV lost revenue, and in the end cost Bell TV subscribers. All the posturing about cancelling service over one phone call you probably won't ever receive doesn't change the fact.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I agree with you Roman about the lost revenue.

I come across more and more, 4 receiver installs in Trailers nowadays than ever before, even in Trailers with 1 bedroom and 1 lounge area, they want and expect 4 receivers hooking up. Then they have the nerve to try to buy extra dish's from the Installers.....lol...

Hmm wonder why they want them.?

Could it be that the nice stack of 4 x 6131's on the work surface, at the side of the sink is going to migrate to 3 other Trailers as soon as the Tech leaves.? Who knows for sure, but I can guess.

This situation happens all too often now, it used to be 1 in about 10,000 installs but not now, it is a weekly occurrence.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have some friends who don't connect to phone line because they have no landline, only cell phones. I wonder what Bell does then. None of my friends have ever gotten a call as far as I know. Bell even did the one guys install knowing he doesn't have landline.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have gotten several calls over the past many years, asking me to verify the receivers that I have in my house. I didn't have any of them hooked to a phone line. If they left me a voicemail message, I ignored it. If they happened to catch me live, I just told them how many were hooked up. I have a couple of older receivers (2700 and 3100) that are just sitting in my closet now, waiting for the day that I may need Bell TV again.

I don't know why so many people are anti-everything "legal". "I'm going to cancel my account if I get a phone call from Bell". That's the biggest crock of horses**t that I've ever heard... no you won't... just be polite and move on. There are bigger things to worry about in this life than whether or not Bell might catch you doing something that you're not allowed to do. "But people are doing it all the time"... people speed and run red lights all the time too, but they too are against the rules...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Caveat: I am not a lawyer, and normally I don't play one on the Internet

I recently noticed that Bell's TOS is partially in contradiction with the online sales information provided on their website:
http://support.bell.ca/en-on/TV/What_is_Bell_Install?step=5
Other factors to consider before installation

* The dish will require south-east exposure in western Canada and south-west exposure in eastern Canada, with a clear line-of-sight (no trees, buildings, etc., blocking the dish).
* If you live in a rental property or condo, it's your responsibility to get permission to install Bell TV. You'll be required to sign the work order, confirming that you have secured the required permissions.
* The account holder must be on-site for the duration of the installation. If you can't be home at that time, please ensure a representative, 18-years of age or older, will be on-site to authorize the installation and sign the agreement on your behalf.
* Technicians are not authorized or equipped to enter customer's attic for cable routing.
* Dish mount location may be regulated by local by-laws.
* Access to a telephone outlet is recommended.
Since this webpage is accessible by a person attempting to purchase a new receiver, it is part of their advertising disclosure.

Theoretically, a person could challenge Bell's TOS, since it contradicts it's advertisement.

As far as I understand it, Bell's only option if it were challenged would be to change the TOS, or disconnect service BUT refund all charges incurred since installation. Otherwise they could face charges under the Competition Act.

·
Registered
697 Posts
It's part of the terms of service, and if you don't read it, that's your own fault. Just like the terms of service nobody ever reads (but accepts anyway) when they install new software on their computers. You didn't read that? How do you know what you agreed to, then?
Sorry, RC - it may be part of your TOS, but it ain't part of mine. I DID read the TOS before I signed on for Bell and I was well aware they included the "must plug receivers into phone line" clause. The point I was trying to convey was that I at no time ever agreed to that particular clause and, furthermore, clearly communicated to Bell I would not accept that particular clause and Bell still gave me the account. It's really just basic contract law - I offered to become a Bell subscriber on terms that did not include a requirement that I plug receivers into a phone line and they accepted. I have never signed my name to a contract with Bell that contains that particular TOS and I never will. If Bell tried to argue they were constrained from agreeing to accept my offer sans that particular TOS by (for eg) CRTC regulation, I'd happily drag the CRTC into it to explain how they expected Bell to enforce such a regulation when every year more and more households have no phone lines. Were Bell to suggest it was some kind of implicit TOS in our contract and threaten me with sanction, I'd see them in court.

Having said all that, I am ready, willing and able to verify every receiver registered on my account if Bell calls, because I am not "account splitting" (I don't consider having one of my receivers at my cottage for a couple of months during the summer "account splitting", even if I forget to call Bell to request them to take my other receivers out of service for a day before heading up there)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Like others have already said, Bell's not actually forcing people to plug their receivers into a phone line, especially people who don't have land lines. It's becoming more common.

So, please relax, keep your tin foil hat firmly in place, and everything should be fine. ;)

My point was: why get worked up over something so trivial that they're not even enforcing? Life's too short.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it is part of the TOS to have receivers hooked up to a telephone line, when the tech comes to install why don't they hook it to the line if it's required? I pay for a installation and they do not install it in compliance to their TOS? Why am I paying for this installation then?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
99% of Technicians are Subcontractors and ONLY get paid if they carry out the installation. If 75% of all possible installations do not have a phone line close by that can be used then the Tech is going to be working for nothing.

Then consider that Bell will loose 75% of any new work and I am sure they would soon be out of business, or better yet, modify the TOS, which would be more sensible.

I know I say 75% but as more and more people are going to Cell Phones I can actually imagine that number could be even higher.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts