Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bell to start tracking users’ internet, phone, and TV habits to display targeted

http://support.bell.ca/billing-and-accounts/security_and_privacy/how_does_bell_respect_my_privacy?step=4

Starting on November 16, 2013, Bell will begin using certain information about your account and network usage for select purposes, such as continuing to improve network performance and product offers through new business and marketing reports, making some of the ads and marketing partner offers you see more relevant to you, and providing increased levels of fraud detection and prevention. We will not share any information that identifies you personally outside of Bell Canada and its affiliates. This supplements our Privacy Policy.
What information are we talking about?

Bell will use the following categories of information:
Network usage information, such as:

Web pages visited from your mobile device or your Internet access at home.
This may include search terms that have been used.
TV viewing
Calling patterns

·
Super Moderator
16,573 Posts
Your choices
You will receive unfiltered and random ads whether you participate or not, but under this program, ads may be more relevant to you.

If you do not want us to use your information for any of the purposes described above, you can opt out.
EDIT: Bell has issued a press release stating that the program will only apply to mobile customers initially.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrong, you can't opt out entirely, you can opt out for the targeted ads.
All of your data will however be slurped up.

It's not possible to opt out of the data grab, and it's on all of Bells services.

·
Super Moderator
16,573 Posts
The funny thing is that if you click the opt-out link, it asks you for your Bell mobile phone number. What happens if you don't use that service?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't opt out, you can only opt out for targeted ads, that's the only opt out, all your data are belong to Bell.

@reidw

What information are we talking about?

TV viewing
Calling patterns

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@dr dave: From what I can see, it seems that this new policy relates to Bell's cell phone usage for purposes other than voice calls. Watching tv shows, surfing the web on your phone/tablet for example. However I may be reading the policy too strictly.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6977/125/

The scope of Bell's intended personal data usage is remarkable. Given that many of its customers will have bundled Internet, wireless, and television services, the company will be tracking everything: which websites they visit, what search terms they enter, what television shows they watch, what applications they use, and what phone calls they make. All of that data will be correlated with their location, age, gender, and more.
They are going to track everything, all services.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/bell-s-data-collecting-may-be-legal-but-is-it-ethical-1.2158593
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/22/bell-track-customers-ads_n_4138197.html

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@nitra: I watch my TV via Bell Satellite. It does not use their internet network. The purpose of this policy is to track your internet usage including the shows you watch on your smartphone in order to send targetted ads to your device (cell phone, tablet, computer) and collect information on your habits.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FibeTV is part of their internet network.
Ergo, it will be tracked.

And this isn't like Google ads etc, this is something we're paying for.
For my $80/mo, Bell will track my TV usage, and use it as part of their profiling.

In Quebec, this also seems illegal.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie/medias-et-telecoms/201310/21/01-4702149-renseignements-personnels-bell-sattire-les-critiques.php
Translation.

The Bell company has announced to its customers that as of November 16 , it would collect and share client information with third parties, including marketing purposes . Customers who wish may choose not to receive " targeted advertising " but it is unclear if they can prevent the collection and sharing of their habits.

" In the case of Bell, in our opinion, the consent does not match what is required by law. It raises the question, there is a lot of issues , "said La Presse Isabelle St -Pierre , head of communications at the Access to Information Commission Quebec .

The law allows companies to collect and share personal information about their customers , but first they must get their consent. But Bell , a customer who does not manifest subscribed automatically to the new policy stipulates that all information on the use of products and networks Bell - web pages visited, content viewed TV , call habits - will be collected to "create business relationships and marketing ." Bell indicates that these reports will be " for our own use " or " shared with others." The company says that the data will be used to deliver targeted advertising to customers or to "improve network performance ."

questions

Option agencies and consumers Consumers Union also questioned the legality of the new policy of Bell .

" We are very disappointed with the way to Bell . It is interesting that a judge considers that, because we think it raises legal doubts , "says Philippe Viel, of the Consumers Union . According to him, one of these doubts is especially due to the fact that Bell has modified the contract that bound to its customers.

Alexandre Plourde, counsel at Consumers Option specifies that the law allows Bell to use the information obtained with the consent of customers for targeted marketing , but the company must show that the collection is "necessary" to achieve its purposes. "Here, the necessity seems questionable ," said the lawyer.

Bell says that no information identifying the customer will be sent to companies other than those affiliated with Bell .

"The number of ads that customers will not increase , has specified Véronique Arsenault, spokesman for the company . In addition, they may refuse at any time by visiting the advertising bell.ca / relevantads site. We give our customers a notice before starting to offer targeted advertising from 16 November. "

" We agree that Bell has a lot of information about you and it is easy to cross-check information. It gives an accurate profile and incredible information. It can easily lead to a breach of confidentiality , "said Ms. St-Pierre, the Commission access to information of Quebec.

John Lawford, telecommunications analyst at the agency Seaboard Group also considers policy Bell "surprising" and "dark ."

"In my opinion, they skate very close to the line of legality ," said the analyst. He wonders about the collection and sharing what Bell calls " calling patterns " phone , which according to him, are considered confidential by law.

"We will see what they want to do exactly . The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications of Canada and / or the Privacy Commissioner will have to look into it , "said Mr. Lawford , noting that Bell's view to its customers is incomplete and raises many questions .

The Office of the protection of privacy , a federal agency , said it has not received complaints about the policy and Bell refused to comment on the case .

Rogers announced this month that it will launch a service that allows advertisers to know where its customers equipped with mobile phones , allowing for example to send messages to them when they are close to their business. Clients seeking this service will apply .

"Videotron does not sell or share any personal information about its customers to any outside organization , including its affiliates ," has also informed the competitor of Bell by email.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
So if Fibe is included how would you opt out? The only way to opt out that seems to be available is by identfying yourself by your mobile phone number, not your one bill#, not your sat./Fibe account#. For that reason I still think this is an internet thingee only. I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong if I am but I don't expect to be.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taken right from Bells page.

TV viewing
Calling patterns

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@nitra: Please read that statement carefully.

TV viewing is listed as an example of network usage (such as). Bell TV (satellite) is delivered by a completely different mechanism and equipment to the home. Heck, where I live Bell Internet service is not even available but Bell Sat. certainly is.

Look as I've stated several times already, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but if I am then this is a very ambiguous and misleading policy statement and/or the opt out information required (only allowing use of cell#) has so far only been partially released.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Cell/internet will get the targeted ads, that doesn't mean they're not going to monitor everyone, which is exactly what they're doing.

You currently don't have the ability to opt out for the internet services, it's buried in the TOS somewhere.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Could someone, with real knowledge not just an opinion, tell me how they would monitor satellite TV channel usage?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't say they'd monitor satellite usage, although, the boxes do from time to time call home (if connected). It would be possible if they wanted to, to implement something like that. Now, saying that, it's likely not something they will do.

FibeTV on the other hand, that's a different can of worms, and quite easy for them to do, I know that some usage data is already reported back to Bell.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@nitra: Your own words were, "They are going to track everything, all services".

I took that to mean that you were referring to everything Bell offers not just the internet and mobile services. If I misunderstood you my apologies.
-30-

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is possible from them to track satellite usage, it's not probable for them to.
All of the boxes can call home, phone/internet. The improbable part is, not all of them are connected.

Regardless of all of this, I'm really surprised that our "Consumers First" government has not yet spoken out against this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts