Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I would not worry just yet, it might be at least another 6 months before we see this baby, although one source is saying late June early July.......

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I'm in a contract with Bell for another year to go. How does this upgrade work if a new receiver comes out and I am renting mine right now?
You are still stuck renting the existing receiver until the end of the contract. Bell has been known to provide rental receiver swaps for a $75 fee. That would basically be wasted money since the rental would go back at the end of contract, unless you want to keep renting. I would keep the current rental and watch for a special offer or sale on the new receiver. The rental could be returned when the contract is up. If you don't see any specials before the contract is up, cancel and tell Bell you want the new receiver. Bell may then make you an offer.

Pinza, Despite what the techs said, I highly doubt that the new PVR will be a Dish 922. It's more likely a rebranded 722. Bell has a long history of being one model behind Dish with their receivers, particularly PVRs. Now that Dish is rolling out the 922, they probably have a surplus of 722s for Bell to rebrand and buy.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
scarybob, does the 722 offer a two TV capability, PIP and MPEG-4? If so it would suit me perfectly. I currently have a 9200 and have been waiting for a similar machine with MPEG-4 as we all know that one day Bell will be switching some/all of their services over to MPEG-4. When they do that the 9200 could become just a paperweight.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ditto... The hard drive in my 9200 is making some awful noises and I think it's just a matter of time. I've used my 9200 to serve the whole house for 4yrs now and wouldn't want multiple receivers that I can't share the recordings between.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was just on the phone with the Executive Office and unfortunately, they didn't have any information to provide me on the release of the 9252. The only bit of info I did get was, I might be eligible for a trade up if paying the difference if I buy an older product a couple of weeks before the release of the 9252 (if I make a big enough fuss).

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I was going to comment earlier about the fact I doubted you would get any info but decided to wait and keep my fingers crossed.

It is no surprise at all, most of Bell will not even be aware of a new PVR on the horizon.

Just the well informed DHC'ers have that knowledge.....lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was hoping the woman had at least heard of it. Unfortunately, she seemed pretty clueless. I had even thought about calling a friend of mine over at QX but the MDU installs are always last to get anything. I actually had my 9242 purchased from a Bell World before I was told they were even available for MDU's. There's no difference though and they did bring me out the down converter to make it work even though they said I wouldn't get any tech support on it until they officially supported them under MDU's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please tell me it will be available soon! My 5200 is limping along, and I can't find a 9242 to save my life. I refuse to pay the price that they are getting on ebay ($650US+) and I don't really want to buy the 9241. I really want the dual TV output, as I actually like to watch shows I have recorded on a different TV. Really don't want to kludge anything together or start installing switchboxes.

I suppose, worst case, I could rent the 9241 and then upgrade once the new 9252 comes out.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It has gone very quiet at bell about this receiver, none of the people I speak to can shed any light on a release date.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It has gone very quiet at bell about this receiver, none of the people I speak to can shed any light on a release date.
This is typical. There was lots of speculation but little official news about the 9200 or 9242 until they were actually available.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I ended up renting the 9241. Guess I will only be viewing on one TV for awhile. No one at Bell TV could tell me anything about the 9252 either, but they did say I could upgrade when a new model comes out, if I rent.

It's being installed on Sat, and I just bought a new Samsung LED TV (UN40C6300) to replace my 35" Toshbia CRT console TV, so I guess I will finally be able to move into this decade.

Trish :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Archangel, I'm not surprised that the person you talked to seemed fairly clueless as the last person at bell I talked to after getting my 9241 called the LNB's on my dish "cameras".

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, the installer came to install my 9241 yesterday, and after I started ranting that I reallly wanted the 9242 and that I was upset that Bell stopped selling them and didn't have a replacement with dual TV output, he said he had a 9242 in the truck -- and because I was so nice and so beautiful (hey, I will take it where I can get it), he said he would let me have it. Said he was saving it for himself.

He did a great job of installing it. Even cleaned up some of my other cables, and programmed the remote for both my TVs.

What service. Gave me his card and told him to call him directly if I had any other issues. The installers are all contracted.

I am very pleased with the 9242, and LOVE the HD on my new Samsung LED TV.

He also knew nothing about the 9252, but to be fair, Bell is not going to let the idea of new receiver get out there until it's available, as they don't want people not buying what they have now and waiting. I probabably won't upgrade now though, unless the 9252 does something spectacular.

Trish :)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Bell have been shipping refurbished 9242's as replacements for the 9241's for about 2 weeks now, no idea why or how long it will last.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a tech for Bell TV. I have installed 3 9252's for Bell in house VIP's. I was told that the receiver will be released in late 2011. As far as the receiver goes it is the DISH 922, and has the touch pad remote. Most of the Bell people do not like the new remote and are sticking to the old HD PVR remotes. There is not really much more to say about this other then that the VIP's are being upgraded to DPP twin LNB for the install.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Dish abandoned the touchpad remote for the 922 months ago.

The 922 is still ridden with bugs anyway. They may have it right by 2011. Maybe. But then again the wizards at Bell will screw up the firmware once Dish has it working.

Bell should release the 722k. It works flawlessly and has TV2 as well as a dual tuner ATSC module option.

41 - 60 of 316 Posts