Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
When new receivers come out. How do existing customers get a hold of them? Is it as simple as sending back the one i dont want for the new one? I would imagine this will become there $20 HDPVR replacement for new customers. Should i have any issues upgrading to the new one?

As far as i know im under contract for the TV service not the receivers.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Pray tell, how do you download shows from the 9200 onto a PC and then presumably watch them.?
He can't. billhome is NOT a Bell customer.

Now that we know this, please stick to the topic at hand which is the new HD PVR.

Going forward, off-topic posts will be removed without any subsequent warning.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Since it is all speculation at this point (722k or 922 equivalent), let's have someone in the know create a list of the pros and cons of both DishNet Receivers so the rest of us can start hoping for a particular model.

I for one was really interested in the 922 when it was first announced, however it sounds like some members here have heard horror stories about several bugs.

Let's hear all the good and the bad about both possibilities...as new receivers always produce a feeding frenzy of sorts for early adopters.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Then i guess i'll wait before getting Bell TV service.... Hope it's the VIP922.. with slingbox features. :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Good news. Now I can get rid of the 6100 & 5900, move my 9242 + 1tb ehd upstairs and have the new 9252 downstairs. Since I use single mode I really don't care if the 2nd tv is availible or not, but it must have working pip so I can swap between tuners like my 9242 and have the 1tb-hd/100hrs of internal HD recording as well as the ability to add up to 2tb ehd like the VIP922, and hopefully have the same smart remote.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
99% sure it is the ViP 922.

Just spoke to a Tech that tells me he has already installed a couple of these, complete with the Bell TV branding, for VIP Customers in and around the GTA.

I will still continue to obtain physical proff though.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Actually that's great news Pinza...here's hoping.

Is the VIP922 capable of the "whole home pvr" feature (where you can record on it and watch anything recorded there from any other pvr in the house)?

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is good news Pinza...

In regards to some comments about problems in beta, I searched for new reviews and there is one on April 6 this year at the SatelliteGuys. They confirm that it was quite a ride for the last 6-8 months on Beta ( at one point they felt like throwing it out the window) but they give a glowing review of the final product. The end product is worth the pain with fixes and remote replacements for final shipping product.

"As far as a satellite receiver / DVR goes the 922 is rock solid. Have no fear of putting this receiver as your main DVR."

Let's hope it is the Dish's 922. I know my 9200 is getting long in tooth and the number of total reboots is increasing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess the $64,000 question is what sort of release date is Bell looking at for this. I just picked up a new 47" LG HDTV and still hooked up to a 5900, was looking at upgrading my hardware but if this is coming in the near future I'll wait a little longer

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^^^ I've just sent a message to some of the people I used to work with at Bell to see if there is any pricing or release speculation floating around. If I find anything out, I'll post it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If Pinza is correct (and he has always been in these matters) and they are starting limited installs now then I would definitely hold off if you can.

Even if you don't buy the new model, the older models will likely be discounted a bit so you can save some cash.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Is the VIP922 capable of the "whole home pvr" feature (where you can record on it and watch anything recorded there from any other pvr in the house)?
No it is not. It is currrently only a one room solution & maybe a 2nd SD soultion with future software releases.

That is very cool if Bell truly is releasing the equivalent of the 922. Usually they wait quite a while for Dish Network to have the new equipment running before they acquire it. Kudos to Bell.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I didn't say it was an addon, there is no doubt the second tuner is built in. I'm not sure why there was confusion on that for you. As for the VIP922 receiver the second tuner is currently only dedicated for the slingbox, so until they release software that will let you utilize the second tuner for another room it is a single room solution.
QCK, I suggest that you may be contributing to confusion, rather than alleviating it, by using the term "second tuner" to refer to the second TV output. In the terminology of of Bell/Dish receivers, "tuners" are input streams, "TVs" are output streams, and those are independent notions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good timing here. I am in the market to finally upgrade my 5200 dual tuner non-HD pvr to a an HD version. I actually use the second TV output option because I actually want to watch what I have recorded on the PVR on another TV. I would NEVER go back to the one tuner, and/or one TV ouput version.

I would LOVE a whole-home PVR solution. Imagine being able to record from any TV and watch anything you have recorded on any TV. AND share the same customized menus without having to program every receiver separately -- doing things like controlling locks, etc, from one central server. I am sure it's coming, but that's when I will find out I need to put all new cabling through my house.

Keep up with the info on the new 9252.

Trish :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I called Bell TV and they don't have any information other than they know there is a new receiver coming and it's currently in their testing phase. I'm going to call the Executive Office on Monday to see if maybe they could provide me with a little more information.

Edit: Just in case it is the Dish 922, here is a link to test your internet connection to see if it meets the Sling requirements. http://dishconnectivity.sling.com/ Needless to say, my Fibre 25 service from Bell passed easily. :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
hrm, I'd actually seriously consider switching from Shaw Direct to Bell for this. I absolutely abhor the SD receivers (specifically the channel guide on said boxes)

·
Registered
36 Posts
As long as the new receiver has better PQ (read=brighter) I'll go for it! Compared to my Videotron HD box that I used to have, the PQ of the Bell is not only noticiblly worse, it is too dark when compared to my PS3. Seeing as how both are connected to a Yamaha AVR, the TV is set too bright for the PS3 (Blu-Ray) and still on the "dark side" for the Bell (more of a problem on some channels than others).

I'd pay a nominal upgrade fee to solve that problem alone. Getting extra GBs or any additional features would be a bonus.

I'm in a contract with Bell for another year to go. How does this upgrade work if a new receiver comes out and I am renting mine right now?

21 - 40 of 316 Posts