Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this confirmed today after days of speculation and rumours on this and other sites.

I will endeavor to get more details and post them as soon as I can.

·
Registered
101 Posts
please....please....oh please...let it be something very similar or just a rebranded dishnetwork's 922....dual HD tuner, sling capabilities, large hard drive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There still seems to be some problems with the 922...

Have read of some people having frustrating problems on another forum. They may want to wait until the bugs are out before introducing it here. They already scrapped the lcd display remotes in favour of more traditional ones during beta testing.

Steve

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You'll have to pry my 9242 from my cold dead hands...

:D

In all seriousness, if I have a 9242, a Harmony 880, a Slingbox, and an external HD... would I want the 9252?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I bet it will be the equivalent of the VIP722k Dish Network receiver. I'd be shocked if Bell would release an equivalent 922 receiver just days after Dish has released theirs. The 722k has a 500GB hard drive and can remember settings in the remote and the receiver, so if either needs to be replaced the settings can be recovered easily. It is also a two room solution though the second room will only be in SD just like the 9242. It will be interesting if it has an OTA tuner as well. :rolleyes:

Come on Pinza don't just keep us hanging like this! lol

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust me, as soon as I get any solid info, I will share it with DHC.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I bet it will be the equivalent of the VIP722k Dish Network receiver.
I am thinking the odds are very good that you are correct. The 922 is full of bugs and has been castrated by Dish. I wouldn't want one if you paid me.

I own a 722k and it is flawless. It has a slot for a dual tuner ATSC module assuming Bell enables it.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I don't see why Bell would release the 722k model now, when they could have done that when they eliminated the 9242. Wouldn't make sense and for most people the differences wouldn't be all that great. I hope it's the 922.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's way to early for Bell to pick up the 922. I bet it will be over a year before they release thier version of that receiver. The 722k is a solid proven machine that has been out for quite a while now. It offers the 2 room solution and an OTA tuner which will make many people very happy along with very few issues. Who knows, maybe I'll be eating my hat but I seriously doubt it. Still waiting Pinza.... ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
So what's the difference between a 9242 and a 722k?

The 9242 already has a dual tuner, 2 room solution, OTA tuner... Is it simply the bigger hard drive size?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Larger hard drive, smart remote/receiver pairing settings and some better overall software. One big thing is the 722k has an optional OTA module (costs $29.99 US) which actually has two tuners, so you could record up to 4 shows at one time (2 from satellite & 2 OTA). The receivers Bell already have out like the 9141/9142 already have super features compared to most of the receivers offered to the Canadain market.

You can see all the 722k features here:

tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/receiver/722k.shtml

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't see why Bell would release the 722k model now, when they could have done that when they eliminated the 9242. Wouldn't make sense and for most people the differences wouldn't be all that great. I hope it's the 922.

-Mike
The 922 is a 1 TV output box, and the OTA tuner is an optional add on. There are a lot of complaints on the US forums about Dish dropping the 2nd TV output between the beta machines and the final version. I would never go for a single TV box.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Yes, I know, I posted that elsewhere. Clearly Dish and Bell don't believe the second television option is that well used, and I'm inclined to believe it. However, the 922 has the second television hardware, and they may activate it later. The Sling features would be the major selling point.

-Mike

·
Registered
248 Posts
Download to PC

The ability to download to a PC (as in the 9200) is very important. If not available, then it is a show-stopper.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The second tv option for the 922 is suppose to be released sometime this summer.
It the number 9252 follows Bell convention, then the last "2" in the number says that it is a 2 TV box, so the 2nd TV output would be built in, not an add on.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It the number 9252 follows Bell convention, then the last "2" in the number says that it is a 2 TV box, so the 2nd TV output would be built in, not an add on.
I didn't say it was an addon, there is no doubt the second tuner is built in. I'm not sure why there was confusion on that for you. As for the VIP922 receiver the second tuner is currently only dedicated for the slingbox, so until they release software that will let you utilize the second tuner for another room it is a single room solution.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The ability to download to a PC (as in the 9200) is very important. If not available, then it is a show-stopper.
Pray tell, how do you download shows from the 9200 onto a PC and then presumably watch them.?

1 - 20 of 316 Posts