Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
More recently, his tiny do-it-yourself telco has become the Winnipeg connection for Hurricane Electric, one of the largest global Internet backbone wholesale sellers.
I assume this means les.net customers have IPv6. Hurricane Electric is one of the largest, if not the largest, IPv6 providers in the world.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I always thought that HE had their POP in the Exchange Groups global data center in the Grain Exchange Building and then connected to everybody else through the Winnipeg Internet Exchange in the same building.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I always thought that HE had their POP in the Exchange Groups global data center in the Grain Exchange Building and then connected to everybody else through the Winnipeg Internet Exchange in the same building.
HE's PoP is in the Grain Exchange building (Hurricane Electric POPs in Winnipeg) and they are connected to both IXs in the city, MBIX (Manitoba Internet Exchange) and WPGIX (WPG-IX | Winnipeg Internet Exchange). As I understand it, Les.net put in the committed order required for HE to open a PoP here, they were otherwise going to bypass the city.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm watching this very closely....here in Atlantic Canada things are like this: Bell Aliant which used to be just called Aliant is a separate division owned by Bell Canada. Sure, we get alot of Bell products here, but when it comes to things like the Home Hub 3000 modem Bell has been advertising this for months and Bell Aliant is just soon going to add this modem, who knows when though. We don't get every Bell product that Ontario and Quebec get, and our plans and pricing ARE different. I suspect with Bell MTS it will be very similiar to Bell Aliant in the future. The products that they roll out such as 4 K, Fibe TV, and Gigabit Internet are just normal for here too under the BA branding, not to mention Bell Wireless which is branded as Bell. At the end of the day, Bell is still Bell, Bell Aliant is still Bell Aliant and I suspect Bell MTS will still be Bell MTS.. They will just be all owned by Bell Canada and remain separate divisions.

That being said there was speculation that Bell Aliant could become one big division some day with Bell (renaming it to Bell), but it hasn't happened yet if at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What to expect if this goes through:
Cellphone use surges, so do bills. Canadians call for an end to data caps - Business - CBC News
None of the big three Canadian telcos — Rogers, Bell and Telus — offer cellphone plans with unlimited data.

But in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, where there's more competition, customers can get unlimited deals at what some would deem a reasonable price.
If the CRTC and Industry Canada approve this sale there's nothing left to say. They are just a mouthpiece put in place to support the BDU's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
From the above link:
At the time, rumours swirled around Ottawa and the investment community that the deal would sail smoothly and swiftly to approval. After all, Bell had assured regulators it would take steps to preserve the competitive balance, and had promised the public it would invest in improving the quality and reach of Manitoba’s networks. MTS shareholders — who mainly reside out of province — were quick to signal their support for the deal in June, expecting windfall returns thanks to the hefty premium Bell was offering.

Not everyone was so enthusiastic when the transaction was announced. Consumers, public interest groups and academics were quick to poke holes in Bell’s paper-thin claims about the benefits of the takeover. MTS’s financial performance was not suffering as some claimed, but was on par with, or even better, than Bell’s (this continues to be true as of the companies’ third-quarter reports). Bell’s investment promises turned out to be only marginally larger than what MTS was already planning, and their promises to help rural Manitobans rang hollow in light of the scores of public complaints that Bell persistently ignores rural communities in its existing territory.

Perhaps the biggest sticking point with the deal is one promise on which Bell is sure to deliver: if approved, the prices Manitobans pay for wireless service and home Internet will go up — way up.

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-487 TV portion approved with no special conditions or restrictions.

MTS Press Release: MTS receives approval from CRTC on transfer of Broadcast Distribution Undertaking
Bell Press Release: CRTC approves transfer of MTS broadcasting licence to Bell
Expected to close in early 2017, the Bell MTS transaction has been approved by MTS shareholders, the Manitoba courts and the CRTC, and is subject to approval by the Competition Bureau and Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED).
The real issue is the transfer of the wireless spectrum and the removal of Manitoba's largest wireless competitor, which will be reviewed by ISED.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here we go.....the positive side of this is it will bring newer technology to Manitobans. How long before the HH 3000 is released in Manitoba. BA released it in November and it's a great modem.

·
Registered
469 Posts
What I mean is you have no idea of Manitoba cellular market. This deal as is will make us go from 4 carriers down to 3. The CRTC only looked at the tv broadcast license. The bigger regulatory approvals will be CB and ISED as the CRTC is not looking at the cell phone side of things. Please do more research into this and than you will understand things better. Now don't get me wrong I'm not against Bell buying MTS I just want a competitive marketplace. Thanks and happy holidays!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
:winkSo the fact that we live in another province but our first 28 years were in MB and have family and friends still there and just visited a few months ago means we should be ignorant or are.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes sir, and thats why I don't have a cell phone, when I can get one for the same price as my home phone then I'll switch, already paying MTS $300/month( home phone, tv, internet and partners cell phone) and don't plan on spending a cent more, prices go up I just drop a few TV channels.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts