Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Well what ever Bell plains are, at some point,if accurate and they have deals with HBO,Cinemax,Showtime & Starz, I see the TMN channels having their name changed to those mentioned like they did with HBO. Before HBO Canada came along all HBO programming was on one of the TMN channels(name slips my mind at the moment) but all the programming was on that channel, They simply changed the name to HBO, and that's what I think will happen to TMN channels that have programming from these channels(that they have the rights to.

As for the movies if you ever watched (US Versions)of Showtinme, Starz, Cinemax & HBO most of the movies that appear on those channels(spread out amongst those channels) all appear on the TMN channels.

Now grant you the US movie channels are broken down into different genders

IE
Cinemax Action
Cinemax 5 Star
HBO Comedy
HBO Signature
etc.

Although I don't see TMN going that far I do see them renaming the channels that show programming from the channel they have deals with IE Showtime,Starz,etc so the viewer will know thats wherre to find programming from that channel like they do with HBO.

·
Registered
458 Posts
is STARZ going to be one of those worthless (to me) channels that "edit for content" (like AMC), censor swear words and nudity but leave in all the violence? Saving Private Ryan movie on network tv comes to mind as an example. Leave in all the gore but over dub the "F-words" ( "give us a F-ing chance" to give us a fighting chance)

edit to add. hmm i seem to recall, was not the Spartacus 4 seasons a STARZ production? If so then there may be hope that this new channel will be good.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
STARZ is a premium service that shows uncut movies and shows without commercials. It's similar to TMN in that respect so it's a good fit for the brand.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
I decided to tack highlights of this press release on here, instead of starting a new thread.

The Movie Network Expands Exclusive Movie Offering with New and Extended Multi-Year Studio Deals

TMN confirms today that it has now secured exclusive output deals with most major movie studios, delivering to subscribers the biggest Hollywood hit movies and film franchises across a variety of platforms including linear, on-demand, and digital for years to come.

TMN has now locked in the exclusive, Canadian, first-window rights for film titles from: 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Films; Entertainment One; Sony Pictures Entertainment; Universal Pictures and Focus Features; and Warner Bros. International Television Distribution. As was previously announced, Bell Media has also entered into a long-term agreement with Lionsgate to distribute Lionsgate’s future theatrical releases in Canada in a first pay window, and bring the Starz brand to Canada.

These movie deals, coupled with the long-term agreements secured with premium TV brands HBO, SHOWTIME, and Starz, make Bell Media’s suite of Pay TV linear and streaming services home to some of the most critically acclaimed programming in the world.

TMN has also secured offline viewing rights for these film titles that will continue to keep TMN growing across all platforms. Offline viewing is available through TMN’s video-streaming platform TMN GO, and allows subscribers to download movies and series on their iOS and Android tablets and smartphones, for playback without an internet connection.

Some of the upcoming films secured for TMN in their first-run Pay TV window include: Bad Mom’s Christmas; Darkest Hour; Dunkirk; The Glass Castle; Home Again; It; Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle; Justice League; Kidnap; Logan Lucky; Pitch Perfect 3; The Shape of Water; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

TMN subscribers will also have access to movies from box-office hit franchises such as: Alien; Batman; Deadpool; Despicable Me; Fast & Furious; Harry Potter; Ghostbusters; Hotel Transylvania; Ice Age; Jurassic World; Justice League; Lego; Planet of the Apes; Resident Evil; Spider-Man; Superman; Trolls; Wonder Woman; and X-Men.

·
Registered
488 Posts
new fox movies have also been showing up on netflix during there previous deals with TMN and super channel the wording of that makes it seem like that could change

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It should be noted that most of the movies(only) you see on TMN(all including HBO)channels are divided up amongst HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Hitz & The Movie Channel(US), so actually getting TMN/HBO is a better deal in Canada, then haver to sub to all the Premium Movie Channels in the US.
It may be a better deal if you're talking about the cost of HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Encore and TMN but content wise the US has us beat by a longshot.

The problem has always been what is missing from the lineup...

HBO in Canada often doesn't show movies and when there is a huge Boxing event on HBO (US), in Canada we may see it but it's hit and miss.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes we love Cdn TV how we can get Game of Thrones, Westworld, Billions, etc. etc. all with one subscription! Also stuff like Handmaids Tale that we don't have to pay extra for. We had to wait for the Comcast Watchathon to see Counterpart but mostly all the premium stuff we want is on TMN or some other Cdn channel, very nice!

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
The TMN/HBO/Showcase/Starz bundle is probably the only outstanding thing we have on Canadian BDUs. The downside is that Bell uses it like a sledgehammer for force Canadians to subscribe to lackluster BDU services. It would be a lot better if we could get TMN OTT like HBO Go in the US. As it stands, we must pay for a full TV subscription in order to get most of it. The rest of Canadian TV is mostly watered down, adulterated, overpriced garbage. Some of the OTT stuff available in Canadian TV will likely disappear as US services expand their domestic OTT services worldwide.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Starz.ca is now available. Programming will be available on Encore until the channel rebrands in 2019 and also on Crave "basic." Here is what Crave Help says about Starz programming (emphasis added.)

What’s happening to The Movie Network Encore (TMN Encore)?
Former TMN subscribers who had TMN Encore can access this content on the linear channels (which are now Encore 1 and Encore 2), on demand, or on television provider apps. As previously announced, TMN Encore is rebranding as Starz in early 2019. For a limited time, you can enjoy select Starz programming – such as COUNTERPART, VIDA, and SWEETBITTER – as part of a subscription to Crave.
That sounds like Starz programming might not be available on Crave after the rebranding. Starz.ca just says that the programs are available on Crave, with no mention of "limited time," for what it's worth.

Here's a quote from Starz FAQ:

Will Starz become a channel?
TMN Encore will be rebranded in 2019, with a slate of premium STARZ programming and a broad selection of Lionsgate hit films and television series facilitating its transformation into a world-class platform. The newly branded service will also be available on a direct-to-consumer basis.
A full November daily schedule is available as a PDF. Presumably, they will add a December schedule shortly.

Social Media (no activity yet)
https://twitter.com/StarzCA
https://www.facebook.com/STARZCA/
https://www.instagram.com/StarzCA/

The Crave schedule for Starz programs (Encore channel should be the same)
COUNTERPART, Season 2, Episode 1 (December 9 @ 9 p.m. ET)
COUNTERPART, Season 2, Episode 2 (December 16 @ 9 p.m. ET)
COUNTERPART, Season 2, Episode 3 (December 23 @ 9 p.m. ET)
COUNTERPART, Season 2, Episode 4 (December 30 @ 9 p.m. ET)

The following library content will be added to Crave and may also be shown on Encore:
DAN VS., Season 1 (December 7)
THE WHITE PRINCESS (December 14)
HEAD CASE, Season 1-2 (December 14)

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Starz announced today that the network has acquired the eight-episode drama series Dublin Murders, which is coming to STARZ in the U.S. and Canada as well as other countries in 2019.

Starz Press Release

I checked www.starz.ca and the only schedule they show is the November schedule.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
STARZ Launches in Canada March 1

Bell Media and STARZ announced today the launch of a new STARZ channel and streaming service in Canada beginning Friday, March 1.

On March 1, pay television network Encore rebrands as STARZ across two linear channels and on demand platforms via participating television providers. The following week, STARZ becomes available directly to all Canadians with access to the internet as an add-on to Crave for an additional $5.99/month. The STARZ streaming service can be accessed via Crave.ca, the Crave app on iOS and Android, and Apple TV Generation 4, with additional platforms rolling out in the coming months.

The news comes on the heels of a milestone achievement for Crave, with the premium service announcing today that its current subscriber base has reached 2.3 million subscribers since the launch of the all-new Crave in November 2018. With the addition of STARZ, Crave subscribers now have access to an exclusive programming lineup unlike any other streaming service with HBO, SHOWTIME, Hollywood hit movies, VICE, kids programming, acclaimed originals, and more.

STARZ Content

All-new originals:
  • NOW APOCALYPSE (March 10)
  • THE ROOK (2019)
  • HIGHTOWN (recently greenlit series)
  • P-VALLEY (recently greenlit series)
Current hits:
  • COUNTERPART (Season 1 and 2)
  • VIDA
  • SWEETBITTER
Acclaimed library series:
  • BOSS (Seasons 1-2)
  • BLACK SAILS (Seasons 1-4)
  • SURVIVOR’S REMORSE (Seasons 1-2)
  • MAGIC CITY (Seasons 1-2)
  • POWER (Seasons 1-4)
Fan-favourite limited series:
  • THE GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE (Season 1)
  • THE WHITE QUEEN
  • THE WHITE PRINCESS
Lionsgate series and films:
  • NURSE JACKIE (Seasons 1-7)
  • I LOVE YOU, AMERICA (Seasons 1-2)
  • 3:10: to Yuma, Daybreakers, Crash, Battle Royale, Buffalo ’66, American Psycho, and more than 80 more (beginning April)
See the Full Press Release for more info.

·
Registered
201 Posts
On March 1, pay television network Encore rebrands as STARZ across two linear channels and on demand platforms via participating television providers. The following week, STARZ becomes available directly to all Canadians with access to the internet as an add-on to Crave for an additional $5.99/month.
So if I presently pay for CRAVE 1-4 and Encore 1-2, does this mean I will still receive all the STARZ programming without additional cost?

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
That's correct. For example, Bell Fibe offers:

"Crave + Movies + HBO," which includes Crave 1-4 and HBO for $20.00/mo.

"Movies and Series pack," which includes Crave 1-4, Encore 1-2 and HBO for $25.00/mo.

The second package will change from Encore to Starz, so if you are paying $25 for that package, you will receive the Starz programming. Other TV providers have their own packaging and prices.

The press release doesn't say, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Starz programming that was included in "basic Crave" (Counterpart, etc.) for a limited time, will no longer be available there. You will have to subscribe to Starz through your TV provider or to the Starz add-on if you subscribe to Crave directly. If you are watching any Starz programs on demand, it's probably a good idea to finish those programs by March 1 if you don't plan to subscribe to Starz.

See: https://www.crave.ca/collections-section/starz-selects

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
A lot of Starz programming was previously available on TMN or non-premium channels. Now it's going to cost $5-$6 extra. I find it interesting that Astral added HBO to TMN for free but Bell wants $5 extra for Starz. The cash grab continues.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dr.Dave said:
"Movies and Series pack," which includes Crave 1-4, Encore 1-2 and HBO for $25.00/mo.

The second package will change from Encore to Starz, so if you are paying $25 for that package, you will receive the Starz programming.
OK, that's good, I do have the full $25 package.

I have to say that I have really enjoyed all the STARZ "select" programming so far and it will be great to now get all that STARTZ offers. Certainly quality stuff.

elyk

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
STARZ Launches in Canada

Highlights: TORONTO (March 5, 2019) – STARZ has officially launched in Canada, delivering a slate of the bold, diverse, and genre-bending programming that has already established the channel as one of the leading pay television services in the United States. STARZ is now the Canadian home of all new STARZ original programming, select library titles, and classic films from all eras.

Available as an add-on to Crave for $5.99/month and as two linear channels (following last week’s rebrand of Encore), Canadians now have access to a lineup of buzz-worthy STARZ originals.

STARZ subscribers in Canada have access to the following series across two television channels, the SVOD platforms of participating television providers, and on the STARZ streaming service (available as an add-on to Crave), with new programming being added every month.

AMERICA TO ME, Season 1 (March 10)
BLACK SAILS, Season 1-4
BOSS, Season 1-2
COUNTERPART, Season 1-2
DAN VS., Season 1-3
DAVINCI’S DEMONS, Season 1-3
THE GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE, Season 1
GRAVITY
MAGIC CITY, Season 1-2 (April)
NOW APOCALYPSE (March 10)
PARTY DOWN, Season 1-2
POWER, Season 1-4 (Season 5 coming soon)
SURVIVOR’S REMORSE, Season 1-4
SWEETBITTER, Season 1 (new season 2019)
VIDA, Season 1 (new season 2019)
WARRIORS OF LIBERTY CITY (coming soon)
THE WHITE QUEEN
THE WHITE PRINCESS
WRONG MAN

In addition, STARZ is home to hundreds of classic films with new titles launching every month. March sees the premiere of fan favourites such as The Breakfast Club (March 3), Big Trouble in Little China (March 8), Olympus Has Fallen (March 6), Patch Adams (March 8), This Is 40 (March 9), Sixteen Candles (March 10), Do the Right Thing (March 10), My Best Friend’s Wedding (March 16), American Graffiti (March 17), Step Brothers (March 22), Les Misérables (March 23), and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (March 24).

How to get STARZ in Canada:
  • On two linear channels and the on demand platforms of participating television providers.
  • Via the STARZ streaming service which is available directly to all Canadians with access to the internet as an add-on to Crave for an additional $5.99/month. It can be accessed at www.crave.ca, and the Crave app on iOS and Android, and Apple TV Generation 4, with additional platforms rolling out in the coming months.
Note: A lot of the Starz series previously aired on Super Channel. According to their site they still have the rights to Power Season 5 On Demand until Dec. 31 2019, so I question the phrase "Season 5 coming soon." SC will probably show season 6 as well. SC said they will also show season 2 of the Starz series American Gods.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts