Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these two perform in the Rain? is one better than the other? Shaw seems to have a bigger dish, is the signal better?

Bell seems to have better receivers though with HDMI. In order to get HDMI on Shaw I need either of the PVR's which is more $$$ to install, but that doesn't matter since my builder will have all the cabling done I will just need a multi-switch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
From my experience, I lived with my Mother-in-law when my Wife and I moved back to her hometown and she had Shaw Direct and with any sign of rain or snow the signal would go out, even with the big dish they use. I have had Bell TV for almost 4 years and I have only lost my signal 6 times in 4 years and that is when the sky is pitch black due to a major thunderstorm, or when I wake up in the morning and my dish is caked with Wet snow. I have a teflon cover on my dish now and the snow issue is no more and I can support my Fav NFL team at the same time!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Your mother-in-law's dish was not aimed properly. Both Bell and SD are about the same. Neither should go out unless there are very heavy thunderstorms.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Previous ExpressVu (since inception) and now Shaw Direct customer (2 years almost).

Both systems suffered from rain fade ( Bell slightly worse) but snow on the dish problem is way better with Starchoice.

I use an extendable painters stick with an old broom head on it to clear the dish.

I think maybe the overall dish angle is lower with the Shaw dish ?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Shaw direct is in the process of releasing their new HD receiver line; the DVR model now, the non-DVR model later. Both will have HDMI, and seem rather comparable to Bell offerings.

Newmarket Ontario would see a Bell dish point higher than a Shaw dish, therefore more susceptible to catching snow. In Western Canada it would be opposite.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There is also the issue of rainfade at the uplink. Bell has a single uplink for all channels. Big storm north of Toronto and all channels are lost with Bell. Shaw has multiple uplinks in different geographic locations so only channels at a specific uplink are affected

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just recently switched to TELUS TV, but I had Bell for 8 years I can count on one hand the amount of times I had a problem with rain fade, and those were all extremely heavy rain fall, and never a problem with snow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't say anything about bell, but I have had SD for 10 years and if the dish is aligned properly the only time it breaks up is a thunderstorm in the direction the dish is pointed.

My dish got out of allignment after the roofers redid the shingles and HD would break up with a little but of rain, but after SD came and realigned the dish it is great!!

btw I am in NB.

·
Super Moderator
56,558 Posts
Please do a search for "rain snow fade". This topic has been discussed many times before, including evidence in support of SD due to slightly different technology.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have Bell, in London, and mine goes out at the slightest hint of a heavy storm. Light rain doesn't bother it, but I do find it weird that it loses it before the heavy stuff comes down.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's a well known fact that Shaw Direct is less susceptible to rain fade than Bell TV. I've seen both go out in a heavy storm but Bell will go out sooner and longer. In addition, Bell has a single uplink center so everything will go out if a large storm is over Toronto. Shaw has several uplinks so it's not as common to lose all programming. Rain fade with Bell can be reduced by using a larger dish (or dishes) but so can Shaw and they sell/install a larger dish directly while larger dishes for Bell must be sourced separately.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Shaw has two uplinks, not several.
Each uplink maintains specific channels.
If the channel you are watching is on the uplink that is being affected by poor weather, there is no backup.
Not sure how this is any better than Bell?

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Well I had both systems at the same time(Yeah Yeah I know, but I'm a TV JUNKY)

Anyhow here's what I got.

BTV when it rained heavy I lost the signals on both 24" Dishes @91 & @82. I also had 95%+ on both Sat's.

SD/SC it did go out a few times but I mean it was raining extremely heavy.Either then that it only had Pixing when it was rain heavy but not to heavy. When it just rained normal no problems.

Grant you that was back in 2007, not sure if anything has changed since then.

So as for rain fade is the issue go with SD/SC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also depends of a important factor, the dish or satellite TV use the system DVB-S2 (the european DTV system) and works this by multicarriers, when rains the carriers that you should receive in the antenna get lost or the static caused by the rain made that the signal get lost or not be the enough for the Decoder and get the nice no signal in the television screen.

the bad of the DVB-S systems is that the impulsive electric noise is not that good for manage that, anything that cause enough electric noise would cause serious interference with the signal received.

the modulation used for that standard is OFDM or COFDM the C comes by the error correction, but just have one error correction that is the viterbi correction, so that not help so much.

hope this helps to everyone that experience this problem every time that rains.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Shaw has two uplinks, not several.
Each uplink maintains specific channels.
If the channel you are watching is on the uplink that is being affected by poor weather, there is no backup.
Not sure how this is any better than Bell?
Not sure where you get two from. They have or make use of the signal from at least 6 uplink sites across the country. Mind you most of the sites uplink the area local channels. Specialty channels come mostly from Toronto and are uplinked from their Mississauga.

CTV also owns a couple uplinks (Agincourt and Chum), and I believe CBC even has one. Halifax has one (where a number of channels are uplinked (including ATV), and so does Calgary/Edmonton, where Access, ViVa, and the Calgary/Edmonton uplinks are.

I belive Ottawa and Montreal at least have their oen uplimns, and Vancouver also (western US nets come from there).

·
Registered
294 Posts
My apologies, I had only heard of uplinks in Toronto and Calgary.
Regardless, if the channel you are watching is out due to poor weather, the uplinks do not appear to provide any redundancies so you are still out of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Some one correct me here but SD uses ANK sats do they not? If so isn't it telesat that uplinks channels on the Ank sats & not SD? :confused: If so Telesats uplink center is in Ottawa on Telesat drive in Gloucester(across from the OC Transpo Transitway station)

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's great but how would the CTV Calgary signal be available at, say, the Halifax uplink for substitution in the event of poor weather in Calgary. It would not be cost effective for Shaw to run fibre for all of their channels to all of their uplinks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts