Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Nimiq 4 was launched in 2008 and Nimiq 6 was launched in 2012. These two satellites serve Bell customers via the 82 and 91 degrees slot. These satellites typically have a lifespan of approx 15+ years. You might hear about a replacement satellite for Nimiq 4 in the next year or so as delivery for new satellites after they are ordered is a few years. Another thing that could happen is Bell drops all the SD channels. If they did that, they could power down transponders to extend the life of the satellite. That is exactly what happened to Anik F1R's Ku-Band transponders. Now that Shaw Direct has no SD channels left, they powered down all but 8 transponders.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Speaking of the Shaw Direct thing, F1R is going to be turned off and only the G1 transponders on the XkU will be on 107.3. It would be interesting to know how many subscribers that Shaw Direct lost due to their HD only conversion.

Since it is still common to look around the Toronto area and see Bell dishes with only one LNBF, 91, I think that Bell would have to replace every SD receiver with an HD to turn off the SD channels. Being that, at least in the Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City regions, Bell seems to outnumber Shaw by about five, it might end up costing Bell a good amount of money/customers.

However, if Nimiq 4 goes in 2023, by then they might will have swapped all of their city subscribers to Fibe and there will not be as many customers with just 91 left.

In the USA, AT&T (DirecTv) has already announced that they will not be launching anymore satellites. They. AT&T, are also trying to switch customers to streaming.

Yes, it does seem that they could turn off SD, and then use all the transponders for HD on 91; this would buy some time.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I used to be a bell satellite customer up until 2 years ago. All of my bell satellite Receivers were HD capable, even when I first moved into my house my basement TV was a clunky Standard Definition CRT Tube TV, I stil insisted to order a HD receiver for that TV from Bell to future proof myself, it worked just fine and I am so glad I did because I eventually replaced the TV and did not have to change receivers.. I know that Standard Definition is going the way of the dinosaur and if I had been a Bell satellite customer earlier in life, and had owned Standard Definition receivers, I would have bit the bullet myself and upgraded them to HD at my own will instead of waiting for the cable company to lock me out or force me to upgrade. There are quite a few people in my circle of friends who have the same mindset as me and have done similar upgrades but with different cable companies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts