Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S) from Bell outright: no contract. I'm wondering if Bell "retentions" extends to loyal customers who don't want another contract? I would like to arrange a cost-effective plan and have the activation fee waived. I have been with Bell Mobility since Day One of my cell phone ownership. My contract expired back in March.

I have this feeling that Bell only sweetens plan deals to those who are renewing a contract. :eek:

Any thoughts or your experiences? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
More than likely you would need to sign another contract. I doubt they would want to extend a good offer to a month-to-month client who could easily switch carriers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ironic, isn't it. Bell would definitely keep me as a subscriber by offering me a plan that I'm happy with. Carrier-shopping to save a few dollars is not worth my time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

I asked Bell CSR to waive the cost of one of the add-ons to the smartphone plan.

Bell would not bend at all: no contract = no incentives, no wish to retain my business.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The incumbents place no value on your business unless you sign away your rights to them (i.e. a contract completely tilted in their favour).

I won't be signing onto any more contracts after my current ones expire. An incentive worth a couple/few hundred dollars just doesn't make sense for me, especially with new competition prepared to up the ante. It's a sucker's game.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree, 99. The problem I have is: the initial purchase is carrier-locked; the new competition is so segmented that your own "customer profile" better be in line what the new guys offer (unlike Bell, for example, which is a one-size-fits-all provider).

For example, WIND, Mobilicity, and Public Mobile are never going to be a fit for me. WIND has a poor selection of handsets (IMHO) and does not cover where I live; Mobilicity has not, and likely will not, venture very far out of the Toronto core; Public Mobile...ditto.

All I want is for Canada to, by law, to prohibit carrier-locked handsets, and for corporations like Bell to start feeling the heat from competitors sufficient to offer me, a non-contract customer, a financial incentive to stick with them. Bell has a robust, modern, national service..but the cost of using it, without being their slave, is ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
If you're displeased with handset selection then buy your own AWS compatible handset and bring it to Wind. You pay full price either way anyway.

I don't know where you are in Oakville, but when I was there two weeks ago I had great reception with Wind and I know they added two new towers there last month.

Mobilicity and Public don't reach there now, but they probably will eventually.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TC, if you take a look at WIND's coverage map, you'll see a very large area in the north part of Oakville where there is no coverage: nothing has changed since the December '09 launch. From my vantage point, WIND is still struggling with too many problems.

I must disagree with you on the expansion plans of the two other new carriers: they are urban-core-centric. Personally, I'll bet that Public Mobile won't survive past 2012.

So I'll stick with Bell, and retain a little freedom (no contract).

·
Registered
606 Posts
There's also the MVNO option from President's Choice, Petro Canada and 711 Speakout.

Of course you can't use your own handset on Pres Choice since it's CDMA.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
TC, if you take a look at WIND's coverage map, you'll see a very large area in the north part of Oakville where there is no coverage: nothing has changed since the December '09 launch.
According to the coverage map, assuming I'm looking at the right area, that should all be covered by the end of the year.

Whether you believe Mobilicity and Public will survive aside, their spectrum licenses allow them to cover Oakville. If they survive long enough at some point they will almost assuredly expand to cover the rest of the GTA.

However none of that helps you right this minute. You could try and use Wind as leverage on Bell.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, TC. Think I'll stick with Bell and see if there is a response to my threat to cancel. Doubt they'll care too much, since my ARPU is likely low.

I can save a gigantic $5.00/month :rolleyes:, due to my being a Bell landline customer...if I agree to a 1-bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts