Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you buy any phone read this!!!

Guys and girls Bell is currently offering a wicked promo when you buy the Palm Pre. I know some are going to say but that' s an old phone......

Yes an old phone that was as fast as the Ihone 3Gs....lol

Basically here the promo.

Get a 3 year contract with a Palm Pre at 0$.
And you will get $15 off per month on your plan as long as you have the Palm Pre and a Data Plan.

To me this is good $35 for 200 minutes, unlimited text, 500 mo of data (which is enough for me) and unlimited calling for 6 months.

And adding it to your current Bell's service you save an extra $5 per month.

So my choice was easy getting an iphone 4 that was rushed out even with the defects or a good old Palm Pre that has made it's proof of being as good as the iphone. ( my opinon)

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on this great deal.

If not convinced check this link

http://bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWls_Landing.page

look at the bottom right.

Cheers

·
Registered
617 Posts
I guess that's not bad and I'm a fan of the Pre. However, I would not want to be locked-in for the next 3 years with a phone that's already a bit dated. It's going to look awfully old in just a year or two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do understand what you mean although you will be able to opt for the Palm Pre Pro on a HUP so i can be patient for now ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's unfortunate that phone fizzled as quickly as it did....to the point where Bell can't even "give" them away any more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm sorry but I do not think the Palm Pre is on the same level as the iPhone 3GS, let alone the iPhone 4.

It's a sweet deal, to be sure... but I would not suggest anyone buy a slightly older phone that has a unclear future and a pathetic app store unless the ONLY factor for them is cost.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm sorry but I do not think the Palm Pre is on the same level as the iPhone 3GS, let alone the iPhone 4.

It's a sweet deal, to be sure... but I would not suggest anyone buy a slightly older phone that has a unclear future and a pathetic app store unless the ONLY factor for them is cost.
+1 Have to agree. Why do people think Bell laid on this offer a week before the i4 hit the shelves? While the service plan that goes with the Palm is pretty good value in the current market place, there are not many people going to be happy with the hardware 24 months from now when they still have a year to go on their contracts and are looking at a full-price upgrade.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Bell is advertising a very good plan for the Palm Pre in Section of the Vancouver Sun today. It is basically Smartphone plan less $15 for month ($35 net per month). The question that I have is, can I switch the phones and use the plan? I would buy an unlocked iPhone or a Droid phone and then switch. Can the switch be done with this plan?

The Plan is:

100 min anytime plus 100 minutes bonus
unlimited n&w starting at 6 pm
500 mb data

Choice of one of the following:
unlimited nationwide talk and text to and from 5 numbers
unlimited texts
Double anytime minutes

Palm Pre $0 for 3 year term and $299.95 for no term.

I would sell the Pre and then use an alternative phone.

Bell said that this plan was only for the Pre.

Any comments on how you can take advantage of this offer which is one the better plans I have seen.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I thought i saw on the specs of the HTC EVO 4G that it does CDMA... could this be an option for him? If he could get one?

my cdma diamond is on unlimited data.. i may consider trying to find a cdma phone to keep that plan.. (i maybe full of poop so correct me if im wrong)

Networks CDMA 800/1900 MHz EVDO Rev. A, WiMAX 2. 5 to 2.7GHz; 802.16e

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Bell and Telus (as well as Verizon and Sprint in the US) do not allow you to bring phones they do not sell to use on their CDMA networks. In order to replace a phone on a CDMA plan you would need to purchase the phone from the provider.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is my palm pre deal I got the other month......

- free palm pre
- Free touch stone charger, blue tooth, screen protector,leather case
- $15 off my plan
- $15 unlimited data
- fab 5 nation wide
- unlimited evenings and weekends starting @ 6pm
- unlimited calling for first 6 months
- no $35 activation fee

all for $50 a month. I can say that I am quite happy.

Oh and I love the palm pre.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
and that my friend is what all carriers and smart phones/ iphone users should be offered as a base price/offer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Love the Palm Pre

I guess it all depends on what your needs are?

I got the Palm pre with the $15.00 off per month/3 year contract.

The App Catalog has all the popular apps that itunes has, not as extensive a list but definitely has the essentials. I have the itouch and find most of the apps I download from itunes I don't use much after a few day. Last I heard, the itunes app store had 225,000+ available apps, now seriously how many of them are actually useful, most are garbage in my opinion.

One great advantage with the Palm-pre is it's open unlike the locked down iphone/itouch in which everything has to be done through itunes, i'm getting tired of the locked down approach, this is exactly why the android platform is gaining market share in this space. I can drag any picture or any .mp3 onto my palm-pre without restriction, I like that. To get something on my itouch I have to jump through a few hoops.

I actually thought about getting the iphone4 but cost won out in the end, I ended up getting 2 Palm-pres', one for my wife and one for me on a shared plan. We'll save $30.00 a month for 3 years with adds up to a savings of $1080.00 over the 3 year contract vs the iphone plan.

TopShelf

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have you tried any of the over clocking kernels? I am running the SR-71 Blackbird kernel at 900 MHz with no problems. It will run at 1200 fine, but I find 900 is speedy enough for me. Running at the stock 500 is painful... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts