Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Given many threads over the years of making the SD -> HD move, I'm guessing that some of it still applies while some of it is out-of-date in 2022.

Got a notice (maybe not news here) that they are dropping SD programming (don't say what but am guessing is to backfill with HD channels) and offering a 'free' SD - HD swap. (fine print says it's a rental). Hmmm..

The installation at the house dates back to June 2002. So some questions:

1) Is it highly likely that this is an 18" which means that the whole shebang needs to be replaced for a 20"?
2) I don't know what Bell is offering as the swapped unit...a 6400? Would prefer to go dual-tuner if so.
3) Given there's currently only 1 line and 1 receiver (an unsinkable 3100), would going the route of a DPP Twin or Quad-equipped 20" dish make sense for future proofing, especially if going for a dual-tuner?

Thanks for any insights and guidance. :)

· Registered
5,733 Posts
Go for it. In my personal experience, when I first joined bell tv they wanted to offer standard definition receivers to me because of the equipment I was using, I actually went out of my way and ordered High Definition receivers even though most of my TVs were SD, but I felt it was important for me to future proof.

I am glad I did. They gave me the DPP Twin LNB which is compatible with new receivers including those that are dual tuners. If you want to change your dish go for it, you might even find a sweet deal because people are getting rid of it for next to nothing. my neighbour gave all his equipment away for free because he didn't want it

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Jdevlin, you're right that was my reaction too. The notice came as a letter via snail mail. Since the 3100 was originally purchased (together with the 2-year contract) I don't see this as a good deal on its own and I'm guessing a call would reveal all sorts of extras (like dish swap + installation) would be, well extra. That said, I'm sure there's the flip-side: to have Bell take back old tech off one's hands. But.

The letter itself was pretty thin on any further detail (call us or go get a portal account for the upgrade).

· Registered
6 Posts
Receieved the message via email so I'm assuming its a free 6241

Not sure exactly what that means. Does it mean the sourced SD signal will be only available from a HD transponder so we need new receivers?

Dear most loyal customer,
This is to inform you that most of the Bell Satellite TV standard definition (SD) programming will soon only be available in high definition (HD). To ensure you do not lose access to SD TV programming, you will need to replace your active SD receivers with HD receivers, at no additional cost.1

To upgrade your eligible SD receivers in MyBell today, please click the button below

· Registered
5,733 Posts
The last time I had Bell Satellite, I remember there being a lot of channels that had both the Standard Definition and High Definition version. There were also from what I remember, some channels which were available ONLY in High definition, and some channels ONLY available in Standard definition.

If everyone has an HD receiver at the very minimum, then bell would not need to carry the SD equivalent channels anymore it could potentially free up transponder space.

I find it very interesting that we live in 2022 and we have content available with superior quality such as 2160p and up, but some broadcasters still choose to broadcast a channel in 480i/p. like wow, eh?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whatever the case, I get the sinking feeling the swap out involves - for my case - more than just the receiver...it's the dish, LNB, maybe another cable run just to effect the swap and it's time to ask what those costs, pus the 'replacement rental' actually ends up being.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have no intention to swap my 3 receivers and start paying rental fees.

If Bell wants to adjust its transmission or launch a replacement satellite or whatever, they'll have to buy me three new equivalent receivers outright.

· Registered
5,733 Posts
Do we know for sure if there are rental charges or is that just a speculation? How about someone who has already spoke to them on the phone can share with us what the swap involves?

· Registered
6 Posts
I don't have the sheet on hand but yes it did. The small print had a monthly rental fee that I don't remember but it was over 10 dollars. Not sure if that's for a PVR capable receiver either. So I'm not itching to pay 3 times 10 or more for my replacements on a perpetual basis.

· Super Moderator
21,268 Posts
To ensure you do not lose access to SD TV programming, you will need to replace your active SD receivers with HD receivers, at no additional cost.1
It looks like there may be a footnote based on that "1" at the end of your quote. Could you post that as well to help clarify everything? Could you also confirm if you own your SD receiver?

So far it looks like people with SD receivers will get a zero-rated (free) rental of the equivalent HD receiver, presumably for as long as they remain a Bell Satellite customer. It has the advantage that if it breaks, Bell will probably replace it, since it's a rental. So Bell is basically giving you a free HD upgrade. The only difference is that if you cancel your satellite service, you have to return the HD receiver to Bell, you can't resell it.

Those people who want to upgrade to a dual-tuner PVR will probably have to pay the regular rental, which is $10-$15/month depending on the number of Bell services you have.

· Registered
5,733 Posts
if the letter said "free" receiver swap, it would not be very smart to start introducing monthly fees once they swap it, that would be really bad of bell and attract a lot of negative publicity and unhappy customers.
I certainly hope this is not the case for you. Like Dr.Dave said, can you check what the footnote said?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"(1) Any new receiver is provided on a rental basis and therefore must be returned to Bell in the case of service termination to avoid non-return fees. See Bell Terms of Service for details."

· Registered
5,733 Posts
If you were Targeted this offer, then I'm pretty sure Free means Free as in what Dr.Dave said, Zero Rated Rental. They might have it set up as a Rental on your account, however it should be $0. In all honesty, if your going from a SD box you own that will stop working very soon that will be worth nothing, to a Free HD box that is owned by bell that you can return if you leave.

I'm not tryin to side with bell here but look at the bigger picture, very soon your SD box will be discontinued, stop working and be worthless. If you have a SD TV, you actually CAN use a HD box on it, if they're offering it to you why wouldn't you take it? even if you don't end up owning it, its still sounds better than the situation your in.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts