Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had to accept a new 9500 Bell receiver from Bell because their tv is new and none of the older PVR sat receivers work with the new tv?. Boy do I have a story to tell as they have now started charging me for this unit even though none of my other units will run with the tv.? Similar stories or what to do? Let me know. Have been to their loyalty people and this is about the last straw. What is the best way to get tv these days when you live in the sticks? Daniel

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
The only reason I can think of incompatibility is if the new TV doesn't have an equivalent input which pairs up with an output on the Bell box. Even then there are usually converters that can do the trick

Please advise which Bell box (model number) you wish to connect to which TV (make and model number).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason I can think of incompatibility is if the new TV doesn't have an equivalent input which pairs up with an output on the Bell box. Even then there are usually converters that can do the trick

Please advise which Bell box (model number) you wish to connect to which TV (make and model number).
It is model 9500 receiver that works with it. Model 9400,9412? No, model 6131 no, model 6134 no. Tv is a Samsung 55 QLED 70. Thanks. Last year all the Samsung techs and bell techs could not figure what the problem was. I want to dump the 9500 if possible and go back to the older receivers.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
OK:

Bell 9400 has an HDMI output.
Bell 9242 has an HDMI output
Bell 6131 has an HDMI output.

There is no reason that any of the above should not work with your new TV when set up properly.

There is no such thing as a 9412 or 6134. Please provide the proper information.

You did not provide the exact model number of your TV, but I'm sure it has an HDMI input and it will accept signals from any of the first 3 receivers when they are properly set up.

Do you have another TV in the house that you can experiment with because there's absolutely no reason the receivers you mention should not work with your new TV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK:

Bell 9400 has an HDMI output.
Bell 9242 has an HDMI output
Bell 6131 has an HDMI output.

There is no reason that any of the above should not work with your new TV when set up properly.

There is no such thing as a 9412 or 6134. Please provide the proper information.

You did not provide the exact model number of your TV, but I'm sure it has an HDMI input and it will accept signals from any of the first 3 receivers when they are properly set up.

Do you have another TV in the house that you can experiment with because there's absolutely no reason the receivers you mention should not work with your new TV.
They don’t and you have to be a better tech than the Samsung paid guys and the bell guys that are familiar with their own products. The Samsung 55 inch qled 70 does not work with the receivers of old . This is the problem and a major item that Bell wants kept quiet. Looking for others with the same type of problems. It is a Bell system failure they want to keep quiet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have another TV in the home that you can connect those other receivers to? Do they work with that TV? Have you updated the firmware on your new TV?
All the receivers work perfectly. Samsung techs did everything they could . Software updates etc. (the problem is the new TVs being produced are not compatible with the old receiver technology). Bell was trying to blame everyone and his brother but finally the Samsung guys realized it is not 1080 p technology it was 1080i technology, Bell would not admit 1080 p tech does not exist on older receivers…I think that is the jist Of it. Only the receiver 9500 is up to newer tech.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
This is the first time I'm hearing of the Bell 9500 not working with Samsung Televisions. Old receiver technology should be the same as new receiver technology, they all output the same resolution. everything else with the receiver does has nothing to do with the resolution. The TV should "see" a signal and display it.

Are you telling me that Samsung TVs are not compatible with receiving industry standard resolutions but every other TV can? if this problem exists? this to me sounds like a Samsung problem not a bell problem?

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
This is the first time I'm hearing of the Bell 9500 not working with Samsung Televisions.
The 9500 does work, it's the older ones that @Daniel Palmer says do not. I have the following additional comments.

1. Try a different HDMI cable with the old receivers.

2. Try setting the output of the old receivers to 720P, since that is what Bell sends to the receiver. You may have to temporarily connect the receiver to another TV to do this and then connect the receiver to the new TV after setting the receiver to 720P. I have never heard of a TV not accepting 1080i, but I guess there's a first time for everything, which would make this a Samsung issue and you should get a different TV if they can't help you resolve.

Are you sure the older receivers don't have a 1080P option? I'm not with Bell so I can't check.

3. Make sure you turn off HDMI-CEC in the TV first as this "handshake" may cause a problem with receiver output resolutions being chosen automatically. See the following FAQ on the topic, item 4.

Here's an FAQ on HDTV/4K formats:

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
It's no secret that Canadian satellite and cable TV boxes are sometimes poorly designed and don't always meet standards. Newer equipment such as TVs should be backward compatible products are tested but I doubt that a 10 year old Canadian satellite receiver is even on Samsung's radar. I strongly suspect that the issue is with the receiver and not the TV.

I've seen compatibility issues when mixing HDMI connections between products from different makers. Features such as ARC and eARC seem to be an ongoing issue.

As for Samsung's expertise, it is well regarded internationally but my experience with Samsung Canada support indicates that Samsung Canada is in a far different class and does not live up to the parent company's reputation.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I highly doubt the Bell 9500 is a 10 year old model, It never existed when I was a Bell TV Customer 10 years ago. In fact when I just had gotten the Bell 9400 and people around me were like "what model is that?"

I believe the 9500 has been out for maybe 2 years?

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
Does the 9500 have HDMI-CEC? Do the older receivers mentioned have HDMI-CEC. As I mentioned in my previous post, HDMI-CEC can cause problems and should be disabled in the TV (and receivers) if applicable. It's possible that somehow the "1080P request" sent by the TV is messing with Bell 720P and 1080i signals in the older boxes. One test may be to use an old receiver and try to play an On-Demand programme, which may be 1080P...

Another option may be to temporarily try a component video connection (red/green/blue), if both devices have the appropriate inputs/outputs

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I wouldn't set a TV box to 1080p. The TV is usually more capable of scaling lower resolution content to its native resolution. Most TV content is 720p or 1080i. Sending the native content resolution to the TV is probably the best setting but most TV boxes only provide a single resolution as an option.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
just to let you know even if you set the bell PVR to 1080p, i don't think it runs at that resolution ever unless you are streaming a video on demand show that supports that resolution, i think it only goes up to 1080i. I think we talked about this on here before

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Dumb question. Have you tired setting your old receivers at 480i? That should work to prove that the signal is getting through. There's something missing from your explanation. The TV review site, rtings.com tests every one of their TVs at multiple resolutions from the lowest to the highest possible for that set. Although results vary in output quality the sets always produce a picture. I also don't think I've ever heard of a set since HD came along that doesn't upscale lower resolutions to the best level it can produce as best as it can. There is never a setting in the TV that even allows you to specify an output resolution for your TV screen. When I had Bell TV I had a 9242 receiver. The 9242 worked on both 1080P and later on my 4K set. There was never any question that changing TVs might mean I had to change to a newer receiver. As long as it was HDMI to HDMI it worked.

My feeling: Your Samsung is where the problem lies but I'm have no idea what it is. My sympathies in any case. You've got one of those problems that may only be solveable by getting a new set.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
One question about the 9500, looks like it only as one input, what adapter is needed. Right now i have the quad LNB and the 9400 receiver, having the odd issue with the 9400, thinking upgrading to the 9500.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts