Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some testing on the new network and it's amazing. I have done a bunch of speed tests and have found some interesting results.

With Windows Vista, 7, or Mac OS X systems the speeds are consistantly around 10mbps down, and 1-2mbps up, with ping response around 40ms.

For some reason Windows XP will not go any higher than 2mbps down, and the same 1-2mbps upload. There must be some limitation in the USB driver in windows XP that is not allowing it to utilize the full bandwidth.

I live in an area where I cannot get DSL or Cable internet, and am using a 5mbps fixed wireless connection. It's very unreliable, and could be working great one day, and terrible the next. So this is a great alternative for me at about the same price, and its portable.

The only down fall is you are behind a NAT Firewall so any services that require port forwarding will not function right. For example, on Xbox Live I get a Strict NAT type, but I was still able to get into games. I was able to set the connection up on a Windows 7 laptop, and use Internet Connection Sharing to get my Xbox connected.

From what I have read, Rogers and Telus offer whats called a VPN Access Bundle for $5.00 a month, that will give you a public IP address rather than one behind a NAT. Which would be perfect for these types of services. I just haven't heard if Bell is offering this yet. I am waiting to hear back from my Bell Mobility rep.

Also, I found a D-Link Router that supports sim cards, and this type of network. I am curious if it would work to connect to the network, and it would make sharing the internet access to multiple computers way easier then using internet connection sharing.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=525

Does anyone have any further information on this?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update..

I tested it on one more XP laptop and I was able to get full speed on speedtest. I have no idea what was limiting the other laptops. They were brand new computers. This is the first XP machine that showed those results.

They were unreal results actually. 9.66mbps down, and 6.5mbps up, with 16ms response. I always use speedtest.net to the Montreal server for testing.

So apparently it's not the OS that was the reason for slower results on those machines. I was connected to the same network, in the same spot on my desk. All OSX, Vista, and 7 machines were getting in the 10mbps range, while the XP machines were getting 2mpbs. Not sure what the difference is here, thats good news for XP users.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Out of curiosity, are there monthly bandwidth caps on that service? I could see hitting something like a 5GB cap pretty easily with 3 or 4 computers and an Xbox or 2.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you look at the plans on the website I beleive they do show caps. I was told by our manager though, that on our business plan we are on an unilimited plan. We are still trying to clarify if that actually means unlimited or not. But I know what you mean. Depending on the cap size, it could easily be reached.

I am just surpised at how fast this is.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update. I got an email from our Mobility rep and he says you can get a public IP with Bell. There data center has to set it up, no word on pricing yet.

I am curious if it will work with a HSPA router such as the DIR-451. If so I am sold.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just found out the the unlimited business plan is actually a 5gb cap. Still probably fine for home use if you don't do much downloading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"unlimited business plan"

Which unlimited business plan for Turbo Sticks are you referring to?

I see Bell's current offer for the U998 Turbo Stick expires November 26... wonder what the price will be then?

Will Bell come out and match Rogers' Rocket Hub data pricing?

(For those not in the know: 0-3GB $30, 3-5GB $45, 4-10GB $60)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bells site doesn't show any of the data plans. This is the business plan I got from our rep. $53 for 5gb.

Whats the different between the rocket hub and the rocket stick?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi
I am about to purchase the new novatel u998 stick from Bell tomorrow. DSL is not available in my area. I can see tower from our house. I have Hughesnet satellite which is Ok but no online gaming due to latency. The main reason for hooking up with Bell on the HSPA network is for gaming on Xbox live. I will use the stick in a seperate laptop. Does anybody know how much bandwidth a hour is used up? No real answer on net but it appears to be no more than 50 mb\hr. Any major downloads I will do in the FAP free time on Huges. Bell tells me it should work but I am a little afraid of the strict nat. Keep us posted Mikec on getting a public IP address. Even though you have strict nat, xbox live is playable?

Thanks
Newman

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yap, I was still able to get into games.. It seemed to take a bit longer to find a game, but once I was in, it just kept rolling, and no problems with lag at all.

I will let you know about the public IP thing.. It is available apparently, just not sure on price. I would guess in the $5.00 range, which is the same as Rogers and Telus from what I understand.

At 5GB a month which is the highest plan you are looking at like 170mb a day. When I played Modern Warfare 2 for about 2 hours or so, I was looking at around 16-20mb.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just heard back. $5.00 a month for a public IP. He keeps stressing that this isn't meant to compete with Sympatico and home use. The problem is for people like us that can't get a DSL or Cable connection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for reply. So how do you go about getting this and setting up? If I mention this at Bell world today when I go there they probably won't have a clue. Maybe I should just try it out first.

Thanks again
Newman

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My rep called a public IP, Telus calls is VPN Acces bundle. Apparently it can take up to week to be setup though. Depending on how long it takes the Data team to get it done.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally, I would avoid calling them to do it, you never know who or where you are calling. I would go into a store, and at least if one of the people can't help someone else in the store might be able too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds good. I will get the stick after work and set up with my laptop and cross over cable. I will keep you posted on results.

Newman

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool. What OS is on your laptop? Not sure if you read my previous posts, but I found that Wiindows XP wouldn't perform as well as Windows 7 or Mac OS. I assume Vista is fine as well.

The one XP machine that I thought worked, it turns out they had ethernet plugged into the dock, so the results were not right.

I was testing on speedtest.net. All XP machines were getting 2mbps max, while the other OS's were 10mbps+.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts