Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if my BB phone uses my wifi (when connected) by default when using the mobile browser? How do I know if I'm using the wifi connection or am having to pay Bell for browsing? I don't have a data plan so don't want to pay when I can use wifi.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
If you are connected to a Wi-Fi network the browser should automatically use that to connect. Aside from seeing the wi-fi icon on the display i am not sure if you can force the browser to only use Wi-fi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this.
If there is no wifi available and I try the mobile browser, does it give any kind of warning?
I guess I can turn off my wifi and try it. I'm a cheap bast*rd though and don't want to pay them any more than I have too....lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
^^^
That is correct... a BlackBerry's web browser does not work with out a BIS account... Even on WiFi... are you sure you the OP doesn't have a data plan?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't purchase a data plan, just unlimited email, bbm, fab 5 and so many minutes of talk time. No data.

Thanks for all the help on this.

·
Registered
358 Posts
^^^^
Unlimited email, IM is considered a data plan so would allow you to use the browser. just make sure you are only using WiFi and you shouldn't have any extra presents on your bill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got a $71 usage charge on my bill but no explanation. I called Bell and they say it's from downloading games, etc from Jamster. Never downloaded any games from anywhere. I only use free apps (weather, scoremobile) with wifi. Bell has screwed me again. How do I know what/when I'm being charged??

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Did you get the apps from BlackBerry app world? It sounds like you are getting hit with one of those premium text messaging scams, where they charge you two dollars a day to text you a lame joke or something like that. I doubt this is data charges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, I got the apps from App World but I don't get anything sent to me at all. They really should explain the charges better. The bill doesn't tell you anything. How do you cancel something you haven't subscribed to??

Also, sometimes when I try to use the preinstalled mobile browser through wifi, I get a message saying I don't have a data plan so it won't work. Even when I am connected to my home wifi network. Are there charges for using this browser anyway?

Turns out the charges weren't for my phone at all. They were for a phone that was cencelled two months ago.
I kept telling the woman that I didn't subscribe to any of these "short code programs" and she kept telling me I had to reply "STOP" when I got the messages. I kept telling her I don't get any messages and then she said they were for a different phone number. I was going nuts trying to figure what the heck they were talking about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts