Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Unusual Suspects will be on Crave in the Movies + HBO tier. That implies it won't be available on the regular specialty channels.
Thanks for the info Dr. Dave. I really do not understand why CTV has turned the Drama channel into a channel of syndicated shows that they run over & over again with only a couple of new dramas. A few years ago this was my most watched cable channel. Now I watch a lot more shows on W, & Showcase. The Corus acquisitions from Peacock, Sky and Paramount+ have ensured a constant flow of new shows and new seasons on theses channels.
On the other hand, I still subscribe to Crave as part of my cable package so I will be able to watch Unusual Suspects.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Canadian broadcasters have done this to all their specialty channels. The reason is money. The strategy is to purchase as much content as possible and spread it across as many channels as possible, forcing TV service subscribers to pay for a large number of channels and services.

This has been complicated by streaming services. The response has been for Canadian broadcasters to tie up as many programming rights as possible, including streaming rights. That results in "lite" versions of many US streaming services that contain very little popular new content. Canadians must subscribe to Canadian broadcaster specialty channels and streaming services in order to view content that is available on cheaper streaming services elsewhere. This is is aided by CRTC policies and copyright law that is supposed to protect Canadian culture and artists but mostly just helps big broadcasters restrict access to content, inflate prices and make Canadian broadcasters and their shareholders filthy rich.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
.... CTV Sci-Fi Channel expands its STAR TREK offering, which already includes STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS (returning Aug. 12), STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, and STAR TREK: PICARD, with the pick up of STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS and animated series, STAR TREK: PRODIGY....
I find it amazing the CBS/Paramount continues to give their new Star Trek series to Space in Canada where one would think that they would want to use these series as a way to drag viewers over to their new streaming services. How has Space gotten that leverage on Paramount? Are there similar deals in other countries that don't get publicized?

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Bell and CTV have deep pockets and pay more to CBS that it would make from Paramount+. Bell and CTV then make a pile of money by bundling Space and all their specialty channels in the highest priced TV packages and on Crave. Instead of paying $5.99 for Paramount+, Canadians have a choice between paying 10 to 20 times that much to get Space Channel or $10-$26 for Crave.

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
I find it amazing the CBS/Paramount continues to give their new Star Trek series to Space in Canada where one would think that they would want to use these series as a way to drag viewers over to their new streaming services. How has Space gotten that leverage on Paramount? Are there similar deals in other countries that don't get publicized?
It's possible that in the original 2016 agreement that included STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and the entire back catalog for linear TV and streaming in English and French, there was a first-look clause that covered any successor series. Keep in mind that almost all streaming services lose money, even in the U.S.

CBS publicizes their international deals at the bottom of every press release.

"Star Trek: Discovery streams on Paramount+ in the United States, airs on Bell Media’s CTV Sci-Fi Channel and streams on Crave in Canada, and on Netflix in 190 countries."

"STAR TREK: PICARD streams exclusively on Paramount+ in the U.S. and is distributed concurrently by ViacomCBS Global Distribution Group on Amazon Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories. In Canada, it airs on Bell Media's CTV Sci-Fi Channel and streams on Crave." Amazon Prime Video added Star Trek: Lower Decks in Jan. 2021 including Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and India. (Edit: Lower Decks Season 2 streams next day on Amazon.)

I've seen announcements that STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS and STAR TREK: PRODIGY will be available on Paramount+ in Europe when the service launches in 2022. I've also seen grumbling that P+ will be bundled with Sky cinema which costs 39 euros per month in Italy. I haven't seen any announcements for these series on P+ in Latin America.

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
TBS has renewed Full Frontal with Samantha Bee for a seventh season and will move it to Thursday nights beginning January 2022, (Source) CTV Comedy shows the late-night talk show at the same time as TBS.

----

HBO Max has renewed The Other Two for a third season. (Source) CTV Comedy hasn't shown the second season yet, which premiered on August 26 on HBO Max.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
It's possible that in the original 2016 agreement that included STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and the entire back catalog for linear TV and streaming in English and French, there was a first-look clause that covered any successor series. Keep in mind that almost all streaming services lose money, even in the U.S.
So everywhere else that we know of, the new Star Trek series are all streamed rather than broadcast. It's only in Canada that a "channel" also has the rights. Strange that we get that privilege when no one else does especially considering that the media companies are pushing streaming over broadcast in all of their publicity. I personally wonder if this switch to streaming may be a bit more hype than the public realizes.

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So everywhere else that we know of, the new Star Trek series are all streamed rather than broadcast.
The global mega-corp streamers like Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV+ tend to demand world-wide exclusive rights. Bell Media might have gotten in early to secure the Canadian rights before Netflix. I think Lower Decks Season 1 may have aired on TV in Brazil the same time as Canada. There may have been others.

----

Updates from CTV.ca

ROADKILL GARAGE
on Discovery Velocity Premieres Sept 30 at 10:30 PM ET
EVIL LIVES HERE on Investigation Discovery Premieres Oct 1 at 9 PM ET
ON THE CASE WITH PAULA ZAHN on Investigation Discovery Premieres Oct 18 at 10 PM ET

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The Bradshaw Bunch Season 2 Kickoff Special will air on Wednesday, September 29 at 10 PM ET, followed by Rhodes to the Top at 10:30 on E! Canada. The Bradshaw Bunch Season 2 premieres on Wednesday, October 6.

----

Animal Planet's The Zoo Season five kicks off with a special two-hour premiere on Saturday, October 9. (Source) Animal Planet Canada doesn't have the new season scheduled yet.

----

TNT's Claws Returns for Fourth and Final Season on Sunday, December 26. (Source) Season three aired on Bravo Canada (CTV Drama).

----

Russell T Davies will return as showrunner to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Doctor Who in 2023, and series beyond. BBC Studios are partnering with Bad Wolf to produce. (Source) CTV Sci-Fi shows the series in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
CTV Comedy Channel has ordered the all-new original scripted comedy, ACTING GOOD, loosely based on the life of stand up comedian Paul Rabliauskas (THE STAND UP SHOW WITH JON DORE). The 10-part, half-hour comedy is set to shoot on location in Manitoba early next year, with production and additional casting details to be announced in the coming months. (Bell Media Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Alaskan Bush People Premieres October 7 at 10 PM ET with the Chaos and Catastrophe special on Discovery Canada. Season 13 begins the following Thursday at 9 PM with back-to-back episodes. (Zap2it)

----

All-New Season of Homestead Rescue Premieres October 17 on Discovery U.S. (Source) Not on the Canadian schedule yet.

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Discovery Updates from CTV.ca

Mighty Trains
Season 4 premiere October 21 at 8 PM ET.
Deadliest Catch: Bloodline Season 2 premiere changed to Oct. 21 at 10 PM ET. (confirmed on Zap2it)
Bering Sea Gold Season premiere October 31. (post-U.S. October 26)

Moonshiners and Master Distiller Return Wednesday, October 27 on Discovery U.S. (Source) It looks like Discovery Canada will follow the same schedule, except that they say Moonshiners premieres October 20. This corresponds to the U.S. airing of the two-hour special Moonshiners: new season kickoff summit.

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
GRAVEYARD CARZ Premieres Oct 12 at 10ET / 7PT on Discovery Velocity (CTV.ca)

Project Runway will air 90-minute episodes on CTV Drama Channel Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET beginning Oct. 14, followed by 30-minute episodes of Project Runway Redemption. (Zap2it)

----

The BBC has confirmed that the 13th season of Doctor Who will air on Sunday, October 31st with the series title Doctor Who: Flux. CTV Sci-Fi shows the series in Canada.

----

Hulu announced that Crossing Swords will return for season two with another ten episodes on December 10. CTV Comedy and Crave released season one episodes weekly.

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Clash of the Cover Bands will premiere Wednesday, Oct. 13 at 9 PM ET on E! Canada, same date as E! U.S. According to Zap2it, the first episode will be 45 minutes. I believe future episodes will be 30 minutes. No sightings in Canada of Jimmy Fallon's other project, The Kids Tonight Show, which will launch on Peacock in the U.S. on Oct. 14. I think that's because The Tonight Show airs on CTV2, but Corus has a deal for the Canadian rights to Peacock's content. (U.S. Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
RadioTimes has clarified Doctor Who will air a single 6-episode story on Sundays, starting October 31. A trilogy of specials will air in 2022, one around New Year's Day, another later in Spring 2022, and a feature-length special in Autumn, which will also serve as Jodie Whittaker’s regeneration episode. CTV Sci-Fi and Crave show the series in Canada.

----

HBO Max announced that Doom Patrol will return for a fourth season. New episodes of season three will continue to be released every Thursday through November 11 on CTV Sci-Fi and Crave, same day as HBO Max.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts