Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable policy to me...
Not to me. The content is available free from OTA transmitters in large urban areas. Bell has shut down or failed to convert existing transmitters to digital in a number of less populated areas. This is simply a ploy to force people to subscribe to BDU operations. I'm sure they would like to enforce a policy that Bell TV be a requirement but that would raise a stink from competing BDUs. This policy can be seen as discriminatory to many Canadians and marginalizes many who do not live near large urban areas. It could also be seen as anti-competitive since it forces Canadians to spend their money on incumbent Canadian BDUs instead of competing services. (In the US, most network programming can be seen on cheaper, OTT services such as Hulu. In many other countries, it's available free on unencrypted satellite.)

Historically, broadcast TV is advertiser supported. Bell is simply trying to force Canadians to pay twice for broadcast TV. This would never be allowed in the US, where the FCC enforces consumer friendly policies by BDUs and also protects independent broadcasters from anti-competitive practices by networks. Canadian regulators failed to protect small broadcasters and is now allowing them to assault consumers with restrictive policies such the one described here.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Bell has the power to do many things and instead of being responsible, it chooses to often abuse its power and cause unnecessary suffering.

However, even as Canadians, we can circumvent many of the restrictive terms of service for Hulu, Netflix, etc., and view foreign content from around the world with simple browser extensions. I find it easier to do that, than often tune my indoor antenna to get consistent OTA signals.

Several countries have broadcasters that decide to limit online access to non-subscribers for a certain time period (ABC USA will become more restrictive beginning Jan 6th). Using log-in credentials (subscription keys) to access online content is now becoming the norm.

If we want an easier time finding free online content, we often will check out the major network sites to fill in any gaps we encounter during our regular trip around the Internet. But now with Internet access to the major networks around the world becoming more and more limited as time passes, having a cable/satellite subscription doesn't seem like such a bad idea anymore ... although I prefer to stick with the free content that's still readily available online.

In fact, I'd be even more surprised if Bell and the gang didn't impose the online restrictions that they already do, and I assume that some time in the not-so-distant future, I will choose to cancel my broadband Internet service and simply find other ways to entertain myself.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm fairly confident Bell really doesn't care a whole lot that OTA people (who aren't paying Bell anything) can't go watch shows online whenever they want, also without paying Bell anything.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
CP24 was available for one night here in Florida.....next day nothing was available.......am a Bell subscriber at home but the app will not complete the sign up. First night quality on CP 24 was excellent. One of the problems with the internet here on the Island is speed is just above dial-up. Also our provider Verizon can only go as high as 7 Megabits on phone lines in this area and has no plans to upgrade. Things across the border are not always better.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
CP24 Live is available through a web browser as well, but I think it may be free because of the ice storm. Once things return to normal, access will probably only be free for subscribers of participating TV providers (currently Bell Satellite and Fibe).
I am afraid it may be true , but there are so many commercials and advertisements on this channel that bell would only benefit if it was available free on line or even on OTA
This is the only channel that I really miss after switching to OTA but not enough to go back to subscription tv.
Looks like free streaming is over.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
So much for net neutrality.
This has nothing to do with net neutrality.

Net neutrality is that Rogers can't block your access to a server on Bell's network, or prioritize their own servers over someone elses servers.

It doesn't say that Bell has to give you free access to whatever you want.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It doesn't say that Bell has to give you free access to whatever you want.
I'm not asking for free access to anything. I'm just asking for the same multi-platform access that others are getting while I'm paying for the same content they are but from a different provider.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
And Bell is saying that they will offer access to all providers on the same terms. For example, Rogers already offers access to Bell Media-owned TMN channels. It just seems they have yet to reach an agreement on the others.
The CRTC has rules on integrated companies not favouring their own affiliated companies over others. In this case. Bell seems to be operating within the letter of the regulations, assuming it is not charging an inordinate amount for access to other companies. It would be up to the competitors to complain if access was not 'fair' in some of its terms.

·
Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
CTV Unlocks Livestream of THE OSCARS, Sunday on CTV GO

In addition to the television broadcast on CTV, the network will unlock CTV GO - the free app that provides livestreaming of Canada’s top programming – for all web and mobile users to enjoy the live broadcast of THE OSCARS this Sunday, March 2 at 8:30 p.m. ET. While an account with a participating TV service provider is typically required, CTV is suspending that requirement during this broadcast as a special showcase of the app and its content. Now no viewer need miss a moment of TV’s most-watched and most-talked-about entertainment event of the year.

Following the live broadcast, the entire awards show will be available on-demand for encore or catch-up viewing for a full week, beginning Monday, March 3 (or for two weeks for subscribers of participating service providers).

Press Release.

·
Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
TSN GO Launches Today on Bell TV and Rogers

From the Grey Cup and the World Juniors to Major League Baseball, Grand Slam tennis, and all of golf’s Majors, TSN subscribers can now watch live and full length on demand coverage of the biggest events in sports with today’s launch of TSN GO.

Just in time for NCAA March Madness and the upcoming NHL and NBA playoffs, TSN GO gives TSN subscribers the freedom to live stream the network’s programming from their smartphones, tablets, and computers at no additional charge – just as they would watch Canada’s Sports Leader on TV at home. In addition, TSN2 subscribers will also be able to live stream TSN2’s extensive slate of live programming.

Bell TV and Rogers have already signed on to TSN GO, making it available to all of their customers who subscribe to TSN. Additional TV service providers are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

Featuring 6,000+ hours of live sports coverage, TSN GO delivers live streaming and full length video on demand access to the most impressive and diverse lineup of sports programming in Canada including:
  • Baseball – MLB Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday Night Baseball
  • Hockey – World Juniors and NHL
  • Basketball – NBA and NCAA, including March Madness
  • Soccer – MLS, Barclays Premier League, FIFA 2015-2022, UEFA Euro 2016
  • Football – CFL, NFL, and BCS
  • Golf – All of golf’s Majors
  • Tennis – All Grand Slam events
  • Auto Racing – Formula One and NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series
  • Curling – All Season of Champions events
  • Figure Skating –Skate Canada International and Canadian Tire National Skating Championships
  • Rugby – Team Canada Rugby and Rugby World Cup
  • Lacrosse – National Lacrosse League
  • Fan-favourite shows – OFF THE RECORD, THAT’S HOCKEY, and more
Available through Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G, and LTE, TSN GO can be accessed via TSN.ca and by downloading the app for iOS and Android. Fans can visit TSN.ca for further details on how to access TSN GO.

Press Release.

·
Registered
931 Posts
All of these on demand services need to offer internet only options. They might even do it if they weren't owned by the BDU's.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Yeah, that's the whole problem. These things should be based on an alternative distribution model, but instead they're all owned by the oligopoly and thus tied to the old way.

·
Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
CTV News GO and CP24 GO

CTV News GO and CP24 GO are new digital products available for free online at CTVNews.ca and CP24.com, on Apple iOS devices and, on Android phones and tablets. Today’s launch marks the first time CTV News and CP24 apps are available on Android devices.

To audiences across the country, CTV News GO provides live and on-demand video of Canada’s most-watched newscast, CTV NATIONAL NEWS WITH LISA LAFLAMME, as well as other local and national news programs. The new apps also feature news and video from the top stories of the day, all housed within a clean, new design. TV subscribers can also watch a live stream of CTV News Channel with its 24/7 news coverage.

For the first time, CP24 brings its 24/7 coverage to iPads and Android devices, dramatically increasing the channel’s presence across multiple platforms. As with CTV News GO, CP24 GO is also free and its news coverage and video clips are available to all users. CP24 TV subscribers can also access a live stream of Toronto’s breaking news channel and catch on up their favourite CP24 talk shows online and in the new apps.

CTV News GO and CP24 GO offer an intuitive, easy-to-use experience that automatically delivers the best video quality to each user regardless of their internet connection. CTV News GO and CP24 GO each epitomize sleek design, a simple interface, and richer, more robust content – all of which amounts to a world-class viewing experience for users.

Bell Media is poised to launch even more GO products, while expanding its current content offerings.

Press Release.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just want to watch my local (Montreal) CTV news online in real time. If I had an OTA antenna I could do it for free. But Bell wants me to sign up BEFORE I can watch it. First I think that's stupid and second if it's free over the air why do I have to pay and third has anyone figured out how to hack the CTV News GO login?

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my particular case, I was able to watch the content through a US sight. Come on Bell!!! It's no wonder everybody just loves to hate you guys.
I watch tonns of us channels online but I can't find any Canadian one's what US server did you find CTV on?

21 - 40 of 88 Posts