Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my bill today, and my unlimited home network account went from $67 to $73 per month.

Going back over my bills for the last 15 months, there has been about a $20.00/month increase!

Who do I complain to?

Will they negotiate a lower price if I tell them I am going to cancel my account?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've been a sympatico customer for over 8 years, and want to stay with them.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Unfortunately, they want you to stay with them but they don't want you to stay on the unlimited plan.

They would like for you to switch to a better plan... for them. One that has caps which might force you to pay even more than you currently pay - depending on how much you download/upload.

Wait for the UBB nonsense to clear up and then make a move.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would agree -wait until UBB's funeral is over then jump to a third party provider. There are some good ones out there with unlimited plans for $40 or less.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
That is my plan. Been with Bell since 2002 and my grandfathered unlimited is now around $70 a month. This is getting rediculous. Waiting to see how UBB shakes out then make a change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I just checked my usage through my online account over at Bell and I'm only averaging around 30 gb per month.

If I moved to a plan at Bell with a 50gb limit, I'd only save about $10.00 a month.

Is it just me, or does bell have their customer service backwards?

I've been there 9 years. I sould be paying LESS for being a loyal customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the UBB thing you all are referencing the recent CRTC decision the Feds have ordered them to review about the big guys screwing over the smaller companies like Teksavvy?

·
Registered
699 Posts
yes seriously...why even stay with them...for 70 bucks a month for internet??? :confused:
thats crazy...nearly 1000 a year just for the net...:eek: If people are too lazy to switch providers they deserve what they get.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have been with Distributel for both internet and VOIP since last July and their customer service rocks! For both services, I pay $65 taxes in and that's unlimited downloading. I am very happy.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If people are too lazy to switch providers they deserve what they get.
It's not necessarily laziness. If UBB is ultimately allowed then where is the financial incentive to change to a third party provider?

Until the issue is settled I'm staying with Bell only because it lets me keep the unlimited account.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why switch

How about a total of $63 per month for phone, long distance, and internet. This was my last month's bill from TekSavvy.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Lots of offers out there.

I just signed up for 60 GB download limit/month, basic digital TV and free HD PVR, and Phone. $45/month for one year with no contract, ....just in case something better comes along! This will be the first time I`ve changed for quite sometime.

·
Registered
699 Posts
It's not necessarily laziness. If UBB is ultimately allowed then where is the financial incentive to change to a third party provider?

Until the issue is settled I'm staying with Bell only because it lets me keep the unlimited account.
Unfortunately it is that kind of thinking that keeps Bell charging crazy rates for internet. The financial incentive is already there but people don't want to take the initiative. Seems like some people just started using the internet yesterday. It used to be all unlimited one price...no speed tiers..you got the best they could offer.

To put it another way...if bell was whacking you on the head with a hammer each month...would you rather move or stand there and take it because its what you are used to.

BTW...every DSL provider piggy backs on Bell's system..so you get the same thing...but at a lower cost to you...all you need to do is change...everyone hates change...even if it costs them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just signed up for 60 GB download limit/month, basic digital TV and free HD PVR, and Phone. $45/month for one year with no contract, ....just in case something better comes along! This will be the first time I`ve changed for quite sometime.
Is that with Bell? Sounds a little too good to be true IMO.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
BTW...every DSL provider piggy backs on Bell's system..so you get the same thing...but at a lower cost to you...
My understanding is that Primus operates their own network in many areas and that it's only the last mile that uses Bell's system.

In any event, I looked at pricing as a new subscriber and this is what I get (not considering any bundled discounts or the like):

Bell Performance (up to 6 Mbps, 25 GB cap)
$44.95 + $3.95 modem rental
$29.95 activation

Primus Unlimited High Speed DSL (Ontario) (up to 6 Mbps, unlimited)
$36.95 + $2.95 modem rental (purchase optional)
$34.95 activation

Yes, I agree that there is a cost savings with Primus.

But what happens if UBB becomes a reality?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
IF (that's now a big if since the CRTC has been told to reverse its decision) UBB becomes effective, a 25GB cap will apply. Overage rates will essentially match Bell but you will still save $9/mo on the basic service. GB blocks ("insurance") will be available at the same rates as Bell. If you are thinking of switching, UBB is basically a non-issue unless you are grandfathered on a high cap or unlimited plan.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
^^^^^ right, I'm grandfathered with unlimited. Yes, paying more now but if UBB @ 25GB becomes reality switching now would mean I get hosed.

I'm not being lazy, being a smart consumer. Pay a little now or possibly much more later. I'm waiting till the dust settles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If that is the correct price, you better grab it. It does sound way too good to be true.
Basic TV does not include much, and you better watch out if you try to add programming, it may break your contract and boost your price.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If you are thinking of switching, UBB is basically a non-issue unless you are grandfathered on a high cap or unlimited plan.
That's my point. I'm also on a grandfathered unlimited plan with Bell. I'm waiting to see what happens with UBB before giving that little golden egg up.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am always overly cautious, so I too thought it was too good to be true, but there are others that were offered similar deals. see, http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1216843&postcount=34
and http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1227026&postcount=53
I got my offer by mail, on the 23rd of Feb, so only a few days to decide before the 28th cutoff date.
I asked all the questions, no contracts, price stays even if I upgrade packages for TV, but I am keeping my Bell Sat service for now as well, and the Phone can have added features that I will have to pay for, and if after a month if all I want to keep is the Internet, I can. In fact I could have only signed for the Internet portion for $15 per month if I wanted to but I will be able to compare picture quality on Shaw TV to Bell TV sat over the next month.
I put off the install to last half of March to give other providers time to counter offer, but all have said, "We can't match that".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts