Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my bill I noticed there is a message saying they will increase my bill by $5 a month in March. I signed up to the BYOD Promo Canada 75 15GB back in 2019. They changed my plan to few months ago to BYOD Promo Canada 80 15GB but kept on giving me a $5 discount but now they are raising the price by $5. I did not see anything in the plan details that the Promo price had an expiration. Can they do this?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yes Bell can change the pricing and features at any time with 30 days notice.
I have the same issue with Rogers changing prices at their whim.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
the price of cellphone plans has and always will go up with every year, no one is paying what they did 20 or 30 years ago. same with the price of coffee. I highly doubt you can go into a coffee shop and buy a cup of coffee for $0.25 cents, highly doubt it. its part of life.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As has been noted they can and will do it at least every year. I always call and complain about it stating I did not agree to it. They do their well we gave notice and I tell them I will give them my notice of me paying less in thirty days. They get to take or leave it just like the choice they give me, most times the rep will just give me the credit I demand for them keeping their agreement we have already made on my pricing. Failing that I get onto the second provider here and initiate the dis-connection process with them. Usually this results in another deal coming with them, actually saved an extra $20 last time I had to do this one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I don't get is they offer 20GB for $75. The only difference is that plan throttles after you reach the cap. So I might as well get the 20GB with a $5 savings. I never go over 15GB anyways.

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
Just check the charges for going over 20GB before switching. I know someone who just received a surprise $800 bill for going over the plan limits.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
It is funny that the two big gorillas are still increasing rates with impunity. With MVNOs finally coming online in Canada and the regional carriers managing to stay extremely competitive, if not downright better.

Out here in NB, we have been on Eastlink for almost 3 years and have no complaints at all. With the recent rate sales during Black Friday, we are now paying $129/month for three lines and a grand total of 16 GB of shared data. Compared to when we switched, which was a Bell and a Virgin bill that came to a total of almost $170/month for only two lines and only 6 GB of data each. So it is not entirely inevitable that the rates will do nothing but go up. But I will admit that I am watchful and shrewd with making sure that we are always getting the best overall deal. Clearly Eastlink wasn't offering to cut my rates and increase my data allotment of their own accord or good will in advance.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
the price of cellphone plans has and always will go up with every year, no one is paying what they did 20 or 30 years ago. same with the price of coffee. I highly doubt you can go into a coffee shop and buy a cup of coffee for $0.25 cents, highly doubt it. its part of life.
Check my post here. That info was a cut 'n paste from my current bill.

My cell plan with Rogers has seen very little price increase over the years, but considerable service increase. When I first got a smart phone, almost 10 years ago, my phone was $30/month and the data was about the same. That's $5 increase over 10 years, but I'm getting much more data, as well as unlimited Canada wide calling and texting. Do you now get a bigger cup of coffee than you did years ago?

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
my friends on rogers had their 10 gig byod plan increase literally a year after they switched to it. the increase was about 5 bucks. it seems rogers leaves a lot of their plans intact but the ones which are "popular" or high in demand are subject to price increases more frequently. I may sound like im for this but im against it, i dont like them, the reason i act this way is i KNOW the carriers do increases, its common knowledge, they also can get away with it easily, so fight all you want, you can get a credit but it may be for the short term only. hey it helps but its not going to solve the next increase

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
@17671

I wonder if being a long time customer helps. Over the years, there have been several times when I've called in to see what they can do for me. I generally wind up with a price cut, service increase or usually both. The most recent being when I switched to Ignite TV, which got me a price cut and my Internet changing from 70/10 to 500/20. Prior to that, my cell data increased from 6 to 10 GB and I picked up Canada wide unlimited calling. On another occasion, when I switched modems, to get IPv6, I again got a price cut. When I got my Pixel 5, I was able to get a new to the market, just release phone for $100, but I could have had another model for free, as I had done on a couple of other occasions. I just watch for when there are various offers and give them a call to see what they can do for me. I'm rarely disappointed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I was going to call Bell and ask about the changes but now noticed they gave me a Loyalty 10GB Bonus. So now I have 25GB for $80/month. I'm just questioning how long this bonus will last before they remove it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts