Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I've been lurking around here for quite some time. I seem to remember reading a post in the past suggesting that "maintenance" could/should be performed on the Bell HD PVR 9241 from time to time once the user would notice performance degradation. My system works fine, however, every so ofther both SD and HD recordings will skip and/or "jump" effectively losing 1-3 seconds of video (sometimes more).

Before calling Bell (PVR is rented and I've got a year left on a 2 year contract, "free" PVR) is there anything i can do? Like a reformat or defrag?

I've been searching and cannot for the life of me find the thread. I may have imagined it... ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
9241 recording problems

I am experiencing similar problems with recordings on my 9241. It doesnt happen all the time. My sense is there are some bad tracks on the 9241 hard drive and whenever I record to these tracks I experience the "data errors". I archive most of my recordings to an EHD and, in doing so, free up the bad tracks for more recordings.

I would like to find a "local" solution before contacting Bell for a replacement PVR (my unit is rented). Hopefully this forum can provide a solution.

Perhaps a temporary solution is not to delete a recording with bad tracks so that new recordings dont use that space!!!

BTW, can the hard drive in the PVR be reformatted. Reformatting (in the computer world at least) typically reassigns bad tracks to eliminate this problem.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hugh!

This is exactly what I was looking for. It's too bad that PVR is not in the title as my search would have found it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
9241 Recording Problems

Thank you Hugh for the re-direct. One question - If I just want to reformat my HD, will I just lose any recodings on the HD or do I also lose settings, timers, etc. I am not worried about recording because I will just archive them to my EHD before reformatting. But it would be a real pain to lose all my settings and timers.

Thanks,

A

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I have no idea, i did not author that thread

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with 9241 HD PVR. I tried that suggestion and it said I will lose all my settings and recordings etc but the only thing it changed was I had to re-program my remote. Any more suggestions be helpful.
Thnx.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Then the Hard Drive did not re-format. It is impossible to format and keep data.

With the 9241, you could archive all your data to an EHD then format, then transfer back the recordings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Then the Hard Drive did not re-format. It is impossible to format and keep data.

With the 9241, you could archive all your data to an EHD then format, then transfer back the recordings.
What would that tell me? No I did not restore default settings.
I am sure I did it properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts